Diablo Review

Add your own reviews of games here.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Diablo Review

Post by Aldeb »

Diablo wrote the rulebook on how an Action RPG should be played. It’s ease of use is so great that anyone can just pick it up and play without so much as glancing through the manual. It brought RPG gameplay to a much wider audience thanks to its accessible fast-paced gameplay, and marked a turning point for RPGs in general. Anyone familiar with the franchise should give this original a well deserved look.

The action is fast paced and the entire game is randomized for maximum replay value. The dungeons are random, the monsters are random, the items (drawn from a pool of -yes- randomly generated items) are scattered randomly throughout. All of the action takes place below the town Tristram. While venturing deeper into its dungeons, the town itself acts as a safe haven for players to restock and chat up with the locals. Gossiping with the scared inhabitants and listening to their plight is extremely involving if you follow Diablo’s storyline carefully.

There are few things wrong with Diablo. it’s spell system is inefficient but that’s excusable considering its age. The walking speed is horrendous, I’ll give it that. But it’s enjoyable in almost every other regard. You can download a shareware version (aka Diablo Spawn version) from google. Can't guarantee it will work on a modern OS. The full version can be played on gameranger online

Score (by 1996 standards)
Graphics 8/10
Sound 10/10
Gameplay: 8/10
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

I remember playing this game on the PS1. It was quite decent, but a bit stiff due to what you already mentioned. I remember the banes were it's walking speed and the repeat of enemies.

But as far as it being random, although again this is from the PS1 perspective, I remember it being some what random, but to the point of not even needing to be mentioned. In other words, basically you were still going to only get a +1 weapon in a +1 area. Of course there may be that rare item some where, but basically that was it. And still it was just whacking all the enemies, retreating when you needed to heal, go back and whack a couple more, go run when they all ambushed you, come back and kill a few more, rinse and repeat.

And I think I was more impressed with the first or early boss of the Butcher with the big knife, than I was the final boss... Oh and having to go back and identify quite a few items (Although I think you could carry a scroll that would take up a small slot, but not stackable or learn a spell that took up mana...) in town was a bit of a pain. But the atmosphere and music was decent. :thumbsup:
amiramathew

Post by amiramathew »

I also experienced the game play on PS1 and loved the game. Enjoyed the game with its incredible features.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Diablo I & II run pretty well in Windows 7 & 8, though for Diablo 1 you may need tools like DxWnd which help it run great.

Many hours lost to these games, too bad Diablo 3 didn't come together as well, but too much competition in the Action RPG field anymore, and others did 'like Diablo but more' better than the D3 team managed.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Post by Aldeb »

I remember DxWnd. I used it to run Diablo in a window so I can record gameplay. Otherwise it runs trouble-free for me :devil:
Certified 16-bit Troll
florianweber

Diablo Review

Post by florianweber »

I did not play the first part of Diablo, but I spent at least 10k hours on Diablo 2))
This is just an awesome game and playing it is a pleasure.
I work in the company <snipped>, write reviews for various <snipped>.
darkrevenge16

Diablo Review

Post by darkrevenge16 »

The original Diablo was such a let down for me after spending so much time on Diablo II. It was the same that driving a car with power steering and going back to one without power steering. I remember I reached the end only one time and never played it again. I understand what it meant for the genre and all, but I couldn't like the gameplay and lack of story, immersion and features that D2 had.
gerlino

Diablo Review

Post by gerlino »

Diablo is one of the best games I ever played, really liked it. It has some bad things but it was the begining of a new era in rpg games. Goog times playing this game as a warrior :D
redsoul

Diablo Review

Post by redsoul »

Diablo has been alive and relevant for 20 years for a reason. Despite this game's real or perceived flaws, its still a hell of a lot better than most games that have come out in the last decade.