DOS trivia!

Please read topics in this forum regularly. They contain information from the admin and mods on current developments on this message board.
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

DOS trivia!

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

Now I’m sure you all recall my nice big announcement that DOS games IRC was back, though unfortunately many of you are yet to join us.

In the hopes of changing that, and to give our regulars more reasons to keep coming back, I’ve made a bot, specifically a trivia bot.

However, I need or rather I’d like you all to contribute. Basically the script it’s currently running is random trivia, what I’d like is gaming trivia with an obvious focus on DOS. Questions won’t be limited to just DOS. Windows, Mac, console games trivia is more then welcome as well, but it must be gaming trivia. (So yeah, no overly technical hardware trivia questions just yet, maybe later down the line)

Here’s where you all come in. Since I’ve gone to the trouble:
Creating the bot itself
Setting up the required scrips & formatting
Hosting the bot (Not to mention running the channel :P)
And I’ll have to input all questions/answers

It’d be great if you guys could get involved and send me questions to be used.

You can PM me (preferred) or email me (If you do put something like “DOS trivia question” in the subject so it doesn’t get mistaken for spam).

What to include:

The question and answer (obviously) and where possible, I would like a reference source so I can verify the accuracy of the information you’re giving me. I’m sure the info you’re giving me is fine, this is just so if complains arise in the future I can just quote the source to avoid arguments.

Try not to post questions/answers in here if you can avoid it, if all else fails by all means do as all contributions are welcome. Just note that your post will be delete after I add the question to the base file as to avoid people cheating.

Anyway, even if you’ve never come to the IRC channel there’s no reason you can’t contribute to this and there’s no reason you can’t start coming now! :D I’m always in there, quite often you’ll bump into the likes of hyde’, Gamer_V, Larry_Laffer and a few others.

What this bot aims to do is give you something to do if there doesn’t happen to be anyone around to chat with and of course so you can compete against each other!

Later updates, pending the response/popularity, might include things like: team trivia, a few trigger scrips & maybe a roulette scrip which is always good for a laugh.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Just thought to say that the trivia bot works fine(tho' for now it has some pretty weirdass questions), and it would really be great if you would join the channel :thumbsup:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

I can just feel the kickass dos-gaming questions flowing in. Sort of. Is there any format it should be in so you can add it easily? (as in: #code)

On top of that, join the channel! We need a busy channel! :karate:
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

Yeah, the bot is up and running, it has trivia though it’s not on any specific category right now, it’s just random... really random.

And if you’d like to help streamline the input of new questions then submit them in the following format: Question*Answer

E.g.

Who is the coolest admin on DGF?*The_Sinister_Mastermind

;)

Also, I'll be putting up a list of commands later, but for now just use !trivia to start and !strivia to stop. :)

EDIT: Update! OK I've got DOS trivia working, originally I was thinking I would have to completely redo the entire list of questions the base script came with, luckily that wasn't the case. So not only can you enjoy the random trivia, you'll also be able to played themed games. I'll work on one theme list at a time, so keep the gaming questions coming, I'll probably add in a movie theme later & others as I think of them, enjoy! :)
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Man, I got all excited seeing this thread jump back into existence... too bad it was a stupid spambot.
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

Spambots are all we see 'round these parts these days.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Sustinendum Victoriam!
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Could make another IRC Chan if you want.. Plenty of room on freenode ;)