Server move coming, please read

Please read topics in this forum regularly. They contain information from the admin and mods on current developments on this message board.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Server move coming, please read

Post by emmzee »

Hiya,

Over six years ago, DOSGames.com moved to a new web server. At that time, some of the software being used (ex, PHP, MySQL, Apache, PHPBB2, etc) was already rather old. But we kept going as long as reasonably possible.

Now, however, I've been getting daily emails that CPanel and a host of other services are no longer supported. PHP 5.2 (which the server currently runs) is long past getting updates of any kind, even security updates, and is missing many modern features.

For these and other reasons, the site will be moving (along with all the other sites I host on this server) to a new VPS in the next few days/weeks. I'm not sure whether I can get this old version of PHPBB2 running on the new system or not. The techs are going to investigate whether it's possible to run PHP 5.2 concurrently (just for this board) alongside the general 5.6 that's running on the rest of the server. If not, I may need to try to upgrade to PHPBB3 and/or install multiple hacks to get it running.

All this to say, that I'll do my best to save it, but there's a non-zero chance that the forum may be disappearing. If that happens, I'll save some of the most popular threads and convert them to static HTML pages. I can also set up a request board, or maybe a wiki of some sort, for people looking for games.

In any case, I'll post updates here as I have them.
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

Good luck emmzee, hope this is not the end of this community :blah:

Running multiple VPS's here, just let me know if there's anything I can do to help you.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Good luck, and thanks for giving it a try!
xenial

Post by xenial »

This is a big move and I just joined! Ah well, do what you need to do as an admin. I'm a techie as well. Good luck. :thumbsup:
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

I literally had to check the date of the post and my calendar like 5 times to make sure I wasn't reading a post raised by a spam post or something.

Looking forward to the move - glad to see you're still kickin' emmzee!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: Server move coming, please read

Post by MrFlibble »

emmzee wrote:If not, I may need to try to upgrade to PHPBB3 and/or install multiple hacks to get it running.
What's the problem with moving over to phpBB3? Another forum I visit relatively recently transitioned to phpBB3 and apart from some differences in interface layout people like me had to get used to everything went pretty smoothly.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Hey all, so if you're reading this (and I'm pretty sure that you are) then you'll notice that the site is now on its new server. Actually everything will seem pretty much the same. I hope. But trust me, it's moved. :thumbsup:

It actually was not too much of a problem; surprisingly easy. I guess I'd read a lot of stuff about all the problems with moving to a new version of PHP.

Re moving to phpBB3, maybe I can investigate that next. I know I put a bunch of MODs on this board over the years, and have no memory of what exactly they were or how I did it. :upset:

wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Ditch the mods and go back to Vanilla. A lot of the features may even be built in by now. We can figure out the mods as we go :)

Please keep a backup of this forum, though. The spam list and banned users may not carry over.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

What wardrich said. The mods are a PITA and probably are all plugins now.

also WOW YOU'RE STILL ALIVE
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

emmzee wrote:the site is now on its new server.
Sweet! Nice work. Glad it worked out.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

emmzee wrote:Hey all, so if you're reading this (and I'm pretty sure that you are) then you'll notice that the site is now on its new server. Actually everything will seem pretty much the same. I hope. But trust me, it's moved. :thumbsup:
Cool!

I completely agree with others regarding moving over to phpBB3.

On a side note, do you intend to fix up some stuff on the site too, like broken downloads or mixed-up descriptions?

Also if you intend to add more games to the site I'll be happy to throw in some suggestions with download links :)
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Not much opportunity these days for that I'm afraid :D I will try to find some time to fix the errors on the site at least. I'd still love to do a full remodeling of the site, but unless I get rich somehow, I probably won't have an opportunity to spend the hours it would take to make that a reality.

wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

It'd be cool if you could switch to a framework that would allow content editors. If I knew more about CMS frameworks, I'd offer a hand... but I've struggled with a few of them - they all seem like more work than they're worth when you've already got your files organized in a particular way.
Cmaza
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Cmaza »

Good to hear that everything went smoothly. :-)