New website: playdosgames.com

Please read topics in this forum regularly. They contain information from the admin and mods on current developments on this message board.
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

New website: playdosgames.com

Post by Joris »

Hi all,

A couple of months ago my new website went online: www.playdosgames.com. emmzee changed the link in top of this forum yesterday, so I thought it was worth the announcement :)

There are currently 100+ DOS Games ready to play in your browser using jDosbox. I'm working hard adding cool new features and extra games to the website.

Check it out and I would like to hear your feedback!

- Joris

PS: Good to be back ;)
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Nice! :)

I immediately noticed though that for Kosmonaut the site says it's a "playable demo" however the full game is available for free from Bluemoon:
http://www.bluemoon.ee/history/kosmonaut/index.html

I believe that for such a site it would be logical to focus on free full games and/or Scott Miller model shareware games, and have demo versions that allow for some extensive play.

I've never really played any game in jDOSBox, is it possible to save your progress there (and continue playing later)? Because if not then it would also make sense to place emphasis on games that do not need to be played for a very long time or require frequent saving and loading.

[Edit] Also, you might want to remove this game because AFAIK the author never really had any persmission from Nintendo to use the likeness of the copyrighted Mario character. You can replace it with the much less copyright infringing Super Angelo.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Which he also abandoned in same reason (except the java port) and didn't answer to my freewarein' request.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Well, Super Angelo is still on the author's site, and it seems to me that it does not use any graphic assets from licensed Mario titles.
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

Thanks for your reply.

I've updated Kosmonaut and removed Mario and Luigi. Never heard about the copyright issues before but I noticed it's no longer on the author's site.
I've never really played any game in jDOSBox, is it possible to save your progress there (and continue playing later)?
Not at the moment, but I'm working on it :)
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Joris wrote:I've updated Kosmonaut and removed Mario and Luigi. Never heard about the copyright issues before but I noticed it's no longer on the author's site.
Well, there has never been an official DOS port of Super Mario Bros., and even if there were it wouldn't be a freeware game anyway. Super Angelo on the other hand is still downloadable from Wiering's website (alongside the Flash version) although the author doesn't actively promote this game anymore.

If you're looking for more games to add to your site then this thread might provide you with some hints :) (and you can check this one as well too).

One more thing I've noticed is that some of the game downloads on the site apparently have wrong archive filenames. For example, the Doom download is simply called DOOM.ZIP, Blake Stone BSTONE.ZIP and Wolfenstein 3-D WOLF3D.ZIP. All these games had several releases, and the version information is indicated in the archive filename. For example, the latest version of Doom shareware is v1.9, and the distributive is appropriately called doom19s.zip. Similarly, Blake Stone shareware is v3.0, and the file is 1bs30.zip, and Wolfenstein 3-D's newest relese is v1.4, with the file 1wolf14.zip.

What's more, I just downloaded the Doom zip from your site and it's not only about twice the size of the normal shareware file (4,741,310B vs 2,450,688B) but it also seems to be corrupt as none of my archive tools are able to open it.

In fact, same happens to BSTONE.ZIP. I'm not going to check other files now but there seems to be something wrong with the file download system.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Looks like I wasn't enitrely right because the Mario clone is still found at Wiering Software website (complete with source code). This doesn't remove the copyright issues though.

BTW, Joris, I tried downloading the Super Angelo archive from your site but the file is also corrupt, which seems to suggest that the file download system (or maybe the file upload system?) on the website doesn't work properly.
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

MrFlibble wrote:BTW, Joris, I tried downloading the Super Angelo archive from your site but the file is also corrupt, which seems to suggest that the file download system (or maybe the file upload system?) on the website doesn't work properly.
Hmz, never noticed, they work at my pc. I disabled the download system and will make a new one which also fixes the filename / size issue.

Thanks for you feedback!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Joris wrote:I disabled the download system and will make a new one which also fixes the filename / size issue.
Thanks!
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

Hi everyone,

The entire site has been updated in the past few days.

On the front end there are some minor changes, including:
- fixed download system
- pages created for publishers and developers

Best news of today: I managed to get an official certificate for signing the Java jDosbox applet (I actually had to turn the website into a company to get one). Playing games works on any Java security level from now on and no more red warning signs are shown when starting a game.

Enjoy gaming!

Joris
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Awesome, great news! ^_^

I guess we should expect updates to the game database in near future? ;)
RetroDosGames

Post by RetroDosGames »

Wow, nice.
The only thing is that when i play NFS it just shows me no menu and just some photos then the race starts without even selecting something :devil:
DOS games are cool!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

That's because it's the demo version. It only has a single track.
RetroDosGames

Post by RetroDosGames »

MrFlibble wrote:That's because it's the demo version. It only has a single track.
Then he should rename it "The Need For Speed Demo". And then add the real version. This one is pretty annoying...
DOS games are cool!
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

... :huh:
I'm pretty sure it's a demo site. Or at least, a "legal games only" site, with trials, demos and free games only, and you're asking for warez to be put up. Unless you've got a "released as free" to share, which you are welcome to present.