New project: the DOS Games Disc

Please read topics in this forum regularly. They contain information from the admin and mods on current developments on this message board.
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

New project: the DOS Games Disc

Post by Joris »

Hey!

We launched our new project a couple of days ago: the DOS Games Disc. From our website:
www.dosgamesdisc.com wrote:The DOS Games Disc features 105 of the best known and most played games of the last decades of the 20th century. It uses the Game Starter and DOSBox to seamlessly integrate DOS Games in modern day Operation Systems. After installation, you can pick your favorite game from the list in the Game Starter and push the button to go back in gaming time.
See for more information www.dosgamesdisc.com.

- Joris
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

Those requirements are insane! I will probaly just run those late dos games with 6000 cycles and 10 frameskip and games like duke 3d with max graphics settings and tomb raider with lowest graphics settings run perfectly on the 500 mhz computer with those settings.
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Wow, that's neat... too bad the disc contains a lot of demo games :P

Really nice, selling demo games(even bundled up, and with an included click-n-play interface) :rolleyes:

Abyss: the disc is made to be played on nowadays medium/high-end computers, those that can't actually play them due to their high specs!

If you have a 500 MHz machine, you really don't need this disc(well, that is, if you have all those games)
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

I could probaly install them all on dosgames.com but i don't meet the requirements for the disc which would have been cool having. 1GHZ! Too bad. I might as well download the games on dosgames.com instead. It's a little tiring installing them one by one but oh well.
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Dude! Most(if not all) of the games are available at dosgamesonline.com! And, 1GHz is actually the minimum requirement for DOSBox for most games to run smoothly(most, and that excludes protected mode demanding games) :P
<center>
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

The minimum requirements are lower than written on the website. The problem is we haven't tested it for a while on a system with lower specs than you can see on the system requirements page, so we don't know sure if it will run and we can't offer good support for that.

Abyss: I sent you a PM, please read it.

- Joris
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

That's a good idea, such a play disk.
Pretty swell done interface also.
You gonna leave us in 'Games Help' unemployed. LOLZ.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

We are currently working on a way to play dosgames in your browser ;)

So in a while, you don't have to download them anymore and this forum will be useless. And in ten year, the world will be dominated by me. Haha, don't worry, just kiddin'.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Guys, I think we really should start looking for a good hitman! :shifty:
Last edited by Larry Laffer on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
<center>
</center>

Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

Good games on the disc.
One of them is Alone in the Dark,damn i shitted my pants while playing that one...
Kazer0 wrote:WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?
greencosmos
Expert
Expert

Post by greencosmos »

Ro@m wrote:Good games on the disc.
One of them is Alone in the Dark,damn i shitted my pants while playing that one...
I really wonder how some of you, (when you were younger) could have been afraid of violent games like Doom, as many of today's 10 years old kids don't fear it and many other, old 'scary' games at all. Like me, for example. (I'm pretty near a 10 years old.)
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Well, you must consider the time line! Back in the day games like that were scary(not that those, well, maybe 'xept for Elvira[2]), and to be honest, there wasn't enough scary material to roughen us up! :P

So yeah, people(grown men, women, kids, pets) could get scared by some little, pixelated-fire-shooting imp!

Nowadays, with the current ZOMG-I-can-see-the-hairs-in-that-guy-'-s-nostril advanced graphics, DOS ain't scary anymore!

Think of it this way, DOOM was back then what F.E.A.R is today! :P

*goes back to playing F.E.A.R.*
<center>
</center>

dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

F.E.A.R. ? Scary ?

*Laughs, points @ Larry
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

From a 10 year old's point of view dosraider! That's what we were talking about! :P
<center>
</center>

Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

abyss wrote:I could probaly install them all on dosgames.com but i don't meet the requirements for the disc which would have been cool having. 1GHZ! Too bad. I might as well download the games on dosgames.com instead. It's a little tiring installing them one by one but oh well.
Er, my old "dosgaming" computer is 1.2 GHz, 256 MB RAM. And I built it in 1999. Out of 2nd hand parts, too. =/ (though I have upgraded some, 1.8 GHz after a processor I installed in in 2004) You could probably find a faster computer in Romania.

This computer is 4 years old and 2.8 GHz. I don't really think you'll find many computers built within the last 10 years and decently upgraded that'd have trouble running that disk. What kind of system are you running anyway?

Joris: I might buy it later in the week (I get paid Thursday). I'm not entirely sure if the "DOS Games Disk" is strictly legal, though. Did you get permission from all the authors/companies to sell their games? They usually allow you to do so for free, but it's still a good idea to check.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Well, according to their disclaimer, they're selling the "Game Starter", the game packed with it are free! :rolleyes:
<center>
</center>

Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

The Game Starter has inspired me, actually. I think I might make some simple .txt files that contains the name, filename, recomended cycles and any special commands for each game on dosgames.com, then make a graphical DOSbox frontend that searches for any ".dbx" (or whatever) files in a game's directory, and then automatically applies that and launches the game. The frontend would be pretty easy to do, the tedious part would be collecting all that information for each game on dosgames.com.

It'd pretty much make the site n00b-proof though.
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

greencosmos wrote:
I really wonder how some of you, (when you were younger) could have been afraid of violent games like Doom, as many of today's 10 years old kids don't fear it and many other, old 'scary' games at all. Like me, for example. (I'm pretty near a 10 years old.)
I never said Doom was scary,anways,the graphic is scary in AITD and the monsters.
LOL,i could shit my pants now...
From the bad graphics and sound. :laugh:
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

greencosmos wrote:
Simple, we have what's called an "imagination". Kids these days seem to lack it, which is why games suck. They waste all their time trying to make things look good, and forget about the storyline.
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

I second wardrich. :thumbsup: