The return of the "server is acting wonky" thread

Please read topics in this forum regularly. They contain information from the admin and mods on current developments on this message board.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

The return of the "server is acting wonky" thread

Post by emmzee »

Yea over the past two days the mySQL part of the server has decided to stop working twice ... it's been running fine for months, so I have no idea why it would decide to start screwing up now. :rolleyes: Anyways I'll try to investigate this wkend. A temporary solution may be to just have the server reboot once per day. (Rebooting solves the problem of course.)

As always a new hella-fast server is always an option, although that would of course be more cash out of my pocket so I want to avoid that if possible ;) I'll post again if I have other news to report ... thanks for your patience, and thanks especially goes to those of you who emailed/msg'd me to let me know the server was acting up. :angel:
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Amro
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Amro »

Did you update your MySQL database? Because my host upgraded to the latest version, and they had a million problems because of incompatibility. In fact, a whole lot of other sites were down because of MySQL problems.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Nope, nothing has been upgraded ...

The problem seems to be the logfiles ... they were huge (200+megs) and whenever they were generated (once a day) the server slowed to a crawl ... I found out where the max sizes for each of the sites was specified and modified them to be much smaller ... so far no more crashes so hopefully (*crosses fingers*) the problem is solved for now ...

Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

Good work emmzee :thumbsup:

200+ megs of logs, that's really a lot :blah: I hope there won't be any problems with the MySQL databases again, but the future will tell us...
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Update ...

I've made lots of tweaks lately to how the server runs ... I've even converted most of my site play.vg to static html pages to reduce the number of MySQL queries going on ... however the server still seems to be rather full.

So, just in case ... has anyone hosted here installed any new scripts lately like ad-serving or hits tracking or anything? Or added new code to their site, specifically code that uses MySQL? Not blaming anyone of course, just trying to narrow down exactly where the problem is ...

For now the server seems to be gradually "filling up", in terms of resources. If I reboot every 48hrs or so it will probably be fine but that's a rather lame "solution" so I'd rather get it fixed. I'll continue to tweak where I can to get it working properly ... we'll see how it goes ... if the site goes down again, don't worry I will look into it as soon as I possibly can (keeping in mind I do have a full time job now heh). Thanks all :)

Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

I havnt installed anything new. I cant, i ran outta space. The only 2 real things I have going are my Bio, and my support forums. Support forums with less than 100 people signed up, and my Bio had only 30,000 hits (And its php/HTML, no MySQL).
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Added 20megs more to your account ... actually I happened to notice you were running out of space about 5mins before I came back here and read your msg :)

Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

I haven't done anything at dosgamesonline.com since Septembre 30, although Erik was working on an IP block system today for dosgamesonline.com (someone placed comments and was talking a lot of rubbish, and he typed something about allah etc...).
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

emmzee wrote:Added 20megs more to your account ... actually I happened to notice you were running out of space about 5mins before I came back here and read your msg :)
You're a good man emmzee.
Cakephatt
Expert
Expert

Post by Cakephatt »

YOU ARE ALL MY SLAVES! NOW DO AS I SAY AND DRINK THE KOOL - AID
IANAL
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
I-ANAL is a Usenet and chat abbreviation (acronym) for "I am not a lawyer." A similar abbreviation, TINLA, stands for "This is not legal advice."
Elign

Post by Elign »

Looks like the new server is faster than ever.