Pop 4D stuck!

Ask for help with playing games, or post your own tips and strategies.
Oh so very stuck!

Pop 4D stuck!

Post by Oh so very stuck! »

Hello everyone,
i m playing POP 4D and im seriously stuck at level 3. The problems i've encountered so far are: 1) I cannot save the game as i get the "insert pop disk etc" error message.
2) I cannot for the life of me find the way back up in order to finish the level... Is there by any chance a way to make the prince grow wings and fly out?! :laugh:
3) I see a lot of of energy upgrade jugs but if i go after them i need two pairs of wings to leave the level... (that applies to level 2 as well, i mean, i know where the energy jug is but if i go after it i cannot finish the level).
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks!!
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Re: Pop 4D stuck!

Post by JKSM »

Oh so very stuck! wrote:Hello everyone,
i m playing POP 4D and im seriously stuck at level 3. The problems i've encountered so far are: 1) I cannot save the game as i get the "insert pop disk etc" error message.
For "insert disk error" when saving or "insert disk error" after level 10, read this post.
2) I cannot for the life of me find the way back up in order to finish the level... Is there by any chance a way to make the prince grow wings and fly out?! :laugh:
3) I see a lot of of energy upgrade jugs but if i go after them i need two pairs of wings to leave the level... (that applies to level 2 as well, i mean, i know where the energy jug is but if i go after it i cannot finish the level).
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks!!
You have to wait for someone to reply this thread, in the meantime you can enjoy the maps there.
oh so very stuck!

not there

Post by oh so very stuck! »

Thanks for answering jksm. You' ve referred me to an earlier post where you gave a link to the patched game. Trouble is the post where you can actually find the patched game isn't there, must be an old and deleted post. Could you possibly answer this with a new link?
Thanks.
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

I've patched the game by replacing the kirill.dat file. The already patch version is here. This saves me the trouble of explaining how to patch. :P
oh so very stuck!

i ve downloaded the patched version, and although i'm sure it fixes the error at level 10 it does not fix my problem... i've encountered the error message on level 3 and still do!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

oh so very stuck! wrote:i ve downloaded the patched version, and although i'm sure it fixes the error at level 10 it does not fix my problem... i've encountered the error message on level 3 and still do!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
Okay, I tried saving Pop4D, yeah you're right. Hmm, probably it's to do with POP4D being an altered version of POP. The altering caused interruption in the program structure and the bug hasn't been fixed. You can wait and see if someone found a way to fix it. Otherwise, just use skip level - Shift-L as a temporary way instead of replaying levels.
oh so very stuck!

ok jksm, thanks. i'll do that. and thanks for taking the time to answer.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

The level skip only works up to level 4. If you do skip, time gets reduced down to 15 min right off the bat.
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

GameMaster.EXE wrote:The level skip only works up to level 4. If you do skip, time gets reduced down to 15 min right off the bat.
That's true. However, one can skips levels to the very last level & without reduction in time by entering the cheat mode.

That is if your game file is called 4d_prin, enter the game by typing:
4d_prin kirill!
instead of
4d_prin

You can still play the game as per normal by being honest and not using other cheats (Ctrl+alphabet) while in that mode.

If you feel guilty about having too much time, while in the cheat mode, press the minus sign to reduce you time. ;) The plus sign however, increases your time. :P
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

Entered "4d_prin kirill!" but still the cheats don't work.

I download the game from dosgamesarchive so the patches for "insert disk into drive c" and other bugs don't come with it, but I never had the need for saving a game or getting to level 10 yet. This is not a major problem for me at this point, so I could just get the patch latter.

Right now I need help with the cheats, level 3 is virtually impossible for me to beat.
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

GameMaster.EXE wrote:Entered "4d_prin kirill!" but still the cheats don't work.

I download the game from dosgamesarchive so the patches for "insert disk into drive c" and other bugs don't come with it, but I never had the need for saving a game or getting to level 10 yet. This is not a major problem for me at this point, so I could just get the patch latter.

Right now I need help with the cheats, level 3 is virtually impossible for me to beat.
The cheat mode should work. Maybe there was something that you didn't type correctly. If you use the copy on dosgamesarchive, then the when you start the game, it's:
4d_prin kirill!
type at dos prompt exactly the 15 characters shown above.
In the game, you can use Shift L to skip levels. If you use the copy on dosgamesarchive, you would be able to skip levels till level 10. After that you should get the error "insert disk in drive c"

Since Wally doesn't want to update the hints threads on POP with cheats and other information, I'll just post when someone asks.

For POP / POP4D, after entering in cheat mode, you can use some of the following cheats:
K - Kills all enemies on the screen.
R - Resurrects you where you last died.
+ - Increase time left.
- (minus) - Decrease time left.
Shift-L – Skip to next level.
Shift-T - Extra life (Max is 10)
Shift-S - Heals a lost life.
Shift-W - Float down long drops.
N - Look at screen below the current one.
U - Look at screen above the current one.
H - Look at screen to the left of current one.
J - Look at screen to the right of current one.
Shift-B - Blocks out non-animated objects.
Shift-I - Inverts screen (upside down), press again to restore
C – View Programming Code
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

JKSM wrote: C – View Programming Code
:o ......... Now that I didn't know.......
oh so very stuck!

figuratively speaking i feel kind of glad someone else got stuck on level 3, :P, thought it was only me... i actually downloaded the game from dosarchives as well as other places and will try the cheat to skip the accursed level... by the way jksm did you actually finish level 3 or did you just skip it... is there anyone out there who actually finished the level without cheating? if so could you give us a hint? and now that i come to think of it among the cheats is there a way to actually fly away?
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

oh so very stuck! wrote:figuratively speaking i feel kind of glad someone else got stuck on level 3, :P, thought it was only me... i actually downloaded the game from dosarchives as well as other places and will try the cheat to skip the accursed level... by the way jksm did you actually finish level 3 or did you just skip it... is there anyone out there who actually finished the level without cheating? if so could you give us a hint? and now that i come to think of it among the cheats is there a way to actually fly away?
No, I didn't finish level 3 as I didn't like to fight skeletons. :P
Long ago, I played the original POP & POP2. Later when I found POP4D, I didn't have the time and mood to complete the whole game. POP4D is really much harder than the original.

I have updated the picture of level 3 in this post in case anyone is interested in looking at the map. It has included location 3 swords. I wonder if you got stuck when going for the sword or the exit trigger button. If it was the sword, you might consider going for a different sword maybe.

Alternatively, you could wish the guest poster who finished level 3 visits the forum again or hope someone who finished level 3 comes to help. Otherwise, you could try the cheats N, U, H, J to look through the screen of the entire level and think of a way to solve it yourself. You may get more satisfication if you manage to solve it yourself. :D

Wow, the level has a number of invert-screen portion. Wonder if it's just for decoration. :rolleyes:
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

"Insuffeint Memory Error"

The skeletons don't like the "K" cheat either.
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

GameMaster.EXE wrote:"Insuffeint Memory Error"

The skeletons don't like the "K" cheat either.
If I don't remember wrongly, you cannot use "K" cheat on skeletons because they're not supposed to die, they're dead already. :P

If you ever played the original POP before, you would know that when you make a skeleton fall down to another platform way below, it breaks into pieces. Then later when you climb to that platform, the skeleton will rise from the dead. :rolleyes: Skeletons have no hit counter, move fast & the only be get rid for good if you make him fall somewhere that you will never go. That's why I never liked those "living skeletons". What a horror, having 1 live skeleton in the original POP is bad. Having 3 in POP4D worse. :o

The other person you should never use the "K" cheat on is the vizer near the last level. Otherwise, the game will never end. You will have to kill him personally and you then can see what happens. ;)
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

Yea, the "K" cheat just makes the game crash...........
But there funny to mess around with. Especially the one in POP4D level 3, the one guarding all those life bottles below the level door. Theres no ledge to push him off, so It's suicide to fight him. But those potions look tempting........
I once tried while fighting him to put my sword back and drink one of the potions. It never worked. His skill level has been set to Jaffars level so I just practice my sword skills with him. It's kinda fun......... :)
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

GameMaster.EXE wrote:Yea, the "K" cheat just makes the game crash...........
But there funny to mess around with. Especially the one in POP4D level 3, the one guarding all those life bottles below the level door. Theres no ledge to push him off, so It's suicide to fight him. But those potions look tempting........
Yeah, tempation is always great. :D That's no loose floor for the skeleton to fall either. :rolleyes:
I once tried while fighting him to put my sword back and drink one of the potions. It never worked. His skill level has been set to Jaffars level so I just practice my sword skills with him. It's kinda fun......... :)
Hard as Jaffer's level? I don't think so. I think the skinny guard at level 8 is the most difficult to kill beside the skeleton. The others like the fat guard and Jaffar may take a little more time but they are as vunerable as other guards. I could kill them using only the attack button. However, for the skeleton and skinny guard at level 8, it is more effective using a combination of attack & defence button.
oh so very stuck!

actually i cannot use the cheat either. whenever i type the 4dprin_kirill! in the dos prompt the only thing i get is i black screen with k.a. teresomething (i think it's the developer's name) on it and nothing happens from then on... i always have to restart the computer after that... and yes i did download pop from this site as well as others... (there was one old post here that said it had a link to the patched game, i downloaded that plus the one on the link jksm gave).

I am not stuck trying to get the sword... i did not go down there because i got the sword from level 1, and i realized after i tried to get one from level 3 that there is no way back.
Actually after the door that leads to the exit stays by crashing the floorboards one has to go to the leftmost side of the screen and try from there to climb up, in order to get back to the first screen. I did pass the ledge with the biting thingy to the leftmost ledge and tried to climb up and try a running jump to the next ledge but it is not possible because the ledge from which i have to jump is not long enough.... therefore the plea for a flying cheat.... :P

The sceleton with all the life jugs is really tough to beat but the other sceletons on this level aren't half as tough... both of them are really easy to beat.

So... no cheats and no saves and nowhere to go!!!
is the game trying to say something to me? :PPPPPPPP
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

oh so very stuck! wrote:Actually after the door that leads to the exit stays by crashing the floorboards one has to go to the leftmost side of the screen and try from there to climb up, in order to get back to the first screen. I did pass the ledge with the biting thingy to the leftmost ledge and tried to climb up and try a running jump to the next ledge but it is not possible because the ledge from which i have to jump is not long enough.... therefore the plea for a flying cheat.... :P
You're right. I have no idea how it'll work. I have tried to help you solve by using a fast way, using a level editor I removed all skeleton guards and even tried working backwards from the end to trace the path of going to the beginning. A lot was going through loose floor in the ceiling but there doesn't seem to be an alternate route to go without the impossible huge jump from a tiny ledge. Maybe I missed something.

Anyway, I just wonder if invert-screen portions serve any purpose in the POP4D / POP game, maybe the solution lies there. :rolleyes: That is are they there for decoration or one has to drink them for some purpose.