Alien Legacy [XP]

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Glad we could help, and be friendly in the process!

I'll take a look at the clock - I probably thought that was normal. And it might be using a "check the actual time", which probably means it can't be changed. But I will take a look and see if I can come up with anything!
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I didn't see the clock - not sure what the GO menu is if not the Game Options, and no clock I see there.

But I did go to the "show solar system" screen that has the planets, the game speed slider, and the turn number. I cranked the game speed slider up to 10, and when I change the dosbox cycles (<CTRL>F11 & <CTRL>F12) I can change how fast the turns pass. I get better results if I add these lines to the [cpu] section of dosbox.conf (or change the existing lines). Using the 'normal' core, dosbox doesn't optimize as much and we have more control. See if maybe this works for you?

Cycles too low makes the game unplayable - mouse barely moves if I'm around 500 cycles! But you can find a good speed using the ctrl-f11&f12, then save that in the dosbox.conf. 1500 was a good initial speed for me.
[cpu]
core=normal
cputype=386
cycles=fixed 1500
Let us know how it goes! I hope it helps.
UncleJoe

Post by UncleJoe »

Hi Quadko. You DID see the clock, on the Game Options (GO Menu in the Manual). The number ticking away at the bottem is the game clock. It's relentless and goes on no matter what you do. The other "clock" does not work while you're exploring a planet (and perhaps some other times also). That is, robots are not being built, ships do now travel, etc. I found it confusing at first.

OK, found out CTR F-11 and F-12 work for everything else, but on my stupid computer, have NO effect on the clock. I tried your settings and found that the clock worked exactly the same, but everything else slowed down to a crawl (in fact, twice the game froze). Tried playing around with the settings (oh, BTW, I already had cputype=386), but again nothing affected the clock.

Bottom line, I'll play the game as is, save often, often, often, and hope for the best. So far, it's working.

I cannot tell you how much help you and dosraider et al have been! I am very, very grateful. Thank you, thank you, thank you! And now, let the game begin...
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

The universe at your beck and call! Good luck, have fun.