GOOD BOOKS

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

GOOD BOOKS

Post by wardrich »

Hello, as you prolly dont know, i LOVE english class! Im a super essay machine :P anyway, here's some REALLY good books i have read lately:

For the older audience
-> Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
-> Frankenstein - Mary Shelly

For the somewhat younger audience
-> Lord of the Flies - William Golding
-> Holes - Louis Sachar*

*Holes is one of my most favourite books still! I read it in one and a half hours non stop!

ya, those are all the books i can think of right now
Richard
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

Well, I've heard from my friend's who have read them (I will start shortly), that anything by Tom Clancy is excellent. Also, I've read the hobbit about 8 times...... :) Recently, in English class, I was forced to read To Kill a Mockingbird, which wasn't all that bad. Of course, I wouldn't pick that if I had a choice.
webmaster from hell

Post by webmaster from hell »

some of my fav books:
The Prydain chronicles
Louis La'Mour Western Books
Michael Crichton books
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Frankenstien is a GREAT book! I love it! Nice to see another fan of the classics.
John The Ax

Re: GOOD BOOKS

Post by John The Ax »

wardrich wrote:Hello, as you prolly dont know, i LOVE english class! Im a super essay machine :P anyway, here's some REALLY good books i have read lately:

For the older audience
-> Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
-> Frankenstein - Mary Shelly

For the somewhat younger audience
-> Lord of the Flies - William Golding
-> Holes - Louis Sachar*

*Holes is one of my most favourite books still! I read it in one and a half hours non stop!

ya, those are all the books i can think of right now
Richard
Every single one of those books is excellent. I'll also suggest:
Animal Farm-George Orwell
The Spear-Louis de Wohl
The entire LOTR series (there was once a time, believe it or not, when reading this entire series counted you as a litery master. Not now, though. I read in fourth grade)
Both "The island of doctor monroe" and "The time machine" by HG Wells. Those are his two best books.
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
Moo
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Moo »

Holes is anawsome book.
A few books I remember that I have read that were really good were
Stone Fox
A Day No Pigs would die
The Outsiders
Pet Semetary
Firestarter
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

May I suggest the "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan, for all your fantasy addicts out there.

Just finishing book 4 now and on to five. Since I have the entire set, so far that is, he's had 9 volumes published so far :D

Another good one that I recently finished as well is "Beyond The Pale", volume one of the Last Rune series. This is also a fantasy type of novel :)
Suck it down!
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

oh ya, how could i forget Animal Farm? lol

you may also want to read the book 'Redwork' (i dont remember who it's by tho)
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

The entire LOTR series (there was once a time, believe it or not, when reading this entire series counted you as a litery master. Not now, though. I read in fourth grade)
Yes, I know the feeling....the days when it wasn't related to Harry Potter at all, the days when it was a good story that took a month to read, when your teacher didn't beleive you could read it but you proved her wrong, *sigh* yeah, those were the days.

BTW, if you're in Kindergarten or something, my favorite books were Hank, the Cowdog! They're funny.

BTW, did any of you have to do that Accelerated Reader thing? That was horrible! It took all the fun out of reading books, cause they made you do tests on them afterward.

Oh yeah, and A Wrinkle In Time was good when I read it the first time. It got pretty repetetive after time #1 though.
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

Heeeeeeeeeey! I remember AR. Our classes had competitions, though. Whichever of the six 6th grade classes got the highest score got an award, and the top ten scorers got a chip and pop party. My class never got the award, but I got the party every grading period. I would just take tests on books I had read before, like the entire Narnia series, score real high, and then do LotR, and other stuff.

Da_Goat

Post by Da_Goat »

yeah, the Narnia books were cool.

BTW, I'm just waiting for my teacher to give me the test for To Kill a Mockingbird (not an AR test.....it's worth 25% of my semester grade :o ), and I'll start a Tom Clancy book......btw, even my Science teacher said that Tom Clancy was awesome, and he's never touched a video game in his life. It's not just my Rainbow 6 lovin' friends that like him.
webmaster from hell

I like the game Hitman by IO Interactive (c)2002
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

Another model post... HOW ABOUT BEING ON TOPIC FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE!!!!!!! B@$t@rd.

Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Dude, this is a literature forum, not a game forum. Go discuss games somewhere else. (Hint: Start a favorite game post in general) Abuse this forum again and you'll loose the privilege to post in it.

That being said, I love A Wrinkle In Time! The rest of the books in the series weren't too bad either.
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Oz »

tolkien books are fantastic in my opinion. also, i like michael crichton. i got The Lost World at a school fair, in mint condition, for 30p (40c US, 75c AUSSIE), and when i looked at the price on the back, it was £15.99!
/.

Crichton

Post by /. »

webmaster from hell wrote:some of my fav books:
The Prydain chronicles
Louis La'Mour Western Books
Michael Crichton books
<BR><BR>
oz wrote:tolkien books are fantastic in my opinion. also, i like michael crichton. i got The Lost World at a school fair, in mint condition, for 30p (40c US, 75c AUSSIE), and when i looked at the price on the back, it was £15.99!

Timeline is arguably the best book I have ever read. Undoubtedly the best sf book.
I once shot a man who posted too many "Imagine a Beowulf cluster of these"-- <A HREF="http://slashdot.org">Slashdot humor</A>
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

some of my fav books:
The Prydain chronicles
thats awesome. I read all those. Good job wfh.

Harry Potter
LOTR
The Hobbit
The chronicals of narnia
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

Chronicles of Narnia are an excellent allegory! My family's listening to them on tape, but it's a dramatic thing with actors, not a reading. I've read them previously, and some are better on a tape (Horse and his Boy)

webmaster from hell

Has anyone read this great spine chilling paper back thriller yet? "The Last Jihad" by Joel C. Rosenberg? It is a really great novel, and avalible everywhere. It just came out a few weeks ago. <marquee>READ IT!!</marquee>
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

My faverit book or books are

Lord of the Rings
The Tobit
The Golden Ocean

did you know that after (about a month) the harry potter movie a gal filed a law suit agianst it, because she said harry potter was a "rip off" of her book and her book was Larry Potter (lighting streak on the head and alll the others). Later she proovin wrong when they checked the publishers date of publishing.
Webmaster- <a href="http://www.dosgames.com/~bobo">Bobo's DOSGames</a>
^ Biggest Dos 3D Shooters site in the World! :)
Total Games = <b>201</b>
Over <b>100900</b> Downloads since 2004