Any good stealth action games for DOS??

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
travlemon

Any good stealth action games for DOS??

Post by travlemon »

Hello!

I was playing a stealth action game the other day, and I thought it'd be cool if I could add some type of stealth or stealth action game to my DOS game library.

Does anyone know of a game like this for DOS? Something where you try to take out enemies from unseen areas or shadows, but still have a chance if they DO see you?

The closest that I found are: Castle Wolfenstein, Beyond Castle Wolfenstein, Alcatraz and possibly Spear of Destiny.

Can anyone add to the list?
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Well, maybe it's a bit of a stretch, but you can play as a stealthy character in The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall, using such skills as stealth and backstabbing, and also the magic school of illusion.
travlemon

Post by travlemon »

MrFlibble wrote:Well, maybe it's a bit of a stretch, but you can play as a stealthy character in The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall, using such skills as stealth and backstabbing, and also the magic school of illusion.
I forgot about Daggerfall,however I think I was quick to write it off. There are plenty of great DOS games that still deserve attention. I think I'll try Daggerfall and see how it is.

I don't think stealth and stealth action games were a demanded genre back then like they are these days.

Side note.. "The Art of Theft" is a great freeware Windows based games that revolves around stealth.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

BTW, IIRC there are DOS versions of the original Metal Gear series games, do they count?
travlemon

Post by travlemon »

MrFlibble wrote:BTW, IIRC there are DOS versions of the original Metal Gear series games, do they count?
Ah yes, I've played the older Metal Gear Solid. I wasn't much into the gameplay on that one.

Too bad Splinter Cell wasn't around then!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

I also think Relentless (a.k.a. Little Big Adventure) does have stealth elements, although I'm not sure if being stealthy is required throughout the whole game.

Basically, the genres to look for stealth elements in the first place are either adventure (or action/adventure) or RPG/roguelike games.
travlemon

Post by travlemon »

MrFlibble wrote:I also think Relentless (a.k.a. Little Big Adventure) does have stealth elements, although I'm not sure if being stealthy is required throughout the whole game.

Basically, the genres to look for stealth elements in the first place are either adventure (or action/adventure) or RPG/roguelike games.
Thank you! I used to play Relentless off of a demo CD. I recently obtained a copy and started to get stuck shortly into the game. Man, DOS had some gigantic collection of really great games.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

There is another genre of games wherein you'll usually have to use stealth and weren't mentioned here, namely flight sims, certainly chopter ones.
In most chopter sims you'll have to use stealth tactics, hide and seek, hide and hit .....
Some examples:
Gunship series
Comanche series
Apache series (AH-64)
etcetera etcetera......

And add some fighter sims ... F-117 nighthawk etcetera etcetera .........
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Legal Tender
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
travlemon

Post by travlemon »

486 player wrote:Legal Tender
Lethal Tender looks pretty cool! I'll see if I can grab a copy of that one. I'm surprised there aren't any mods for Wolfenstein 3D or Doom/Doom II.

I got hooked on Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell an recently started replaying them. I thought it'd be cool to find DOS games similar to that concept, that I could throw a portable copy of on a flash drive and bring with me.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

travlemon wrote:I'm surprised there aren't any mods for Wolfenstein 3D or Doom/Doom II.
Actually, IIRC there are some mods for Wolf3D that place a certain emphasis on stealth (more so that the original engine and game mechanics allow for that). You can browse through the mod repositories for the game like The Wolfenstein 3-D Dome.
travlemon

Post by travlemon »

Thanks! I'm going to check out the Wolf3D mods. Also wanted to mention a couple of unlikely games that probably don't quite fit the criteria, but could have stealth elements in a round about way:

Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games - I think this game is awesome. Though it's turn-based, it's awesome. There's a lot of emphasis on striking the enemy before they see you. I really like this one.

C-Dogs: I used to play this game so much as a kid. It's not really stealthy, but I have been trying to use the campaign editor to write in my own stealth scenarios, and adjust the enemies to behave in a way that you can sneak up on them and pay for the mistakes.

Jagged Alliance DG also has a campaign editor which I have yet to play around with, but I must say that game is phenomenal so far.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Hmm, that way one could say that at least some of the DOS era FPS games have a stealth element in that you can attack the enemies before they see you. In Duke Nukem 3D, you can use air vents to sneak up behind enemies, attack from cover or set/trigger traps. This is probably also justified by the fact that single-player levels usually also doubled as multiplayer ones in early FPS games, and their architecture allows for sneaky tactics against other players in MP mode. The surveillance cameras in Duke3D also work towards such strategies.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Reading your posts, SIN would surely fit into stealth action game.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sin
Except it's a windows game ...... :laugh:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
travlemon

Post by travlemon »

Thanks! SiN looks pretty cool too. My main reason for preferring DOS games is because they're a little easier to make portable on a USB stick with DOSBox, and they're all guaranteed to run in a window if I need it.

I occasionally get stuck in a nameless place for a long period of time with not too much to do. I got a portable USB DOSBox stick setup so I can just plug in and start up some games. It's very easy to get the window out of the way when required haha.