DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Run IMG file on Dos w/out floppy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:32 am     Post subject: Run IMG file on Dos w/out floppy Reply with quote

I think I remember there was a way to load a floppy image file (booter game) on a dos machine without actually writing it to a floppy, but I don't remember the particulars. It was some 3rd party loader program, as I recall, and just loaded the file into memory and ran it.

Does anyone remember this, or have a link or a name I could search for?

I'm trying to fire up my XT with an XT-IDE, but a few of the games I want to play are booters, and I'm hoping to avoid the floppy shuffle.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:01 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, Flopper: "The bootable floppy disk emulator" from www.oldskool.org! That was what I was looking for.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:58 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, retrograde station has shut down again ....????

[Edit]
Nevermind, has been moved to a .ru site ... Laughing
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:34 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
Reading back through his articles on oldskool was a fun diversion. PC sounds, copy protection, and demoscenes. Happy days. But I really love usb and multi-gig thumbdrives and multi-tera portable drives.
Malvineous
Time zone stampede
Time zone stampede

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:01 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Another solution, although it requires a bit more work, is to use Memdisk and a network card with PXE support. Then you can boot the PC over the network and choose which floppy image you want to boot. You can even boot a floppy that mounts a network drive, allowing you to play all your DOS games on a machine with no disks in it at all - no floppy, hard drive or USB sticks needed.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:01 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, that's pretty wild. I haven't run into that one before!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:34 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Was used lot with Linux, interesting is that you can boot from almost any size of floppy-CD image,
Even more interesting was that it loaded the image in high mem, only grabbed a small amount of precious lower (base) mem.

Been a long time I've used it, blame the VM s ..... they are in fact easier to use to test-boot-tryout-run OSses softs, and VMs run in the OS itself, don't overtake your compy .... yeah, lazy moi. Laughing

Should you be interested dig into the syslinux site:
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/The_Syslinux_Project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games