Looking For First Person Dungeon Crawler

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Daeos

Looking For First Person Dungeon Crawler

Post by Daeos »

Older Dos game around the same time as the Wizardry series. I recall being able to see the weapon you would swing and walking down a hallway leading to some Gorgon-type monsters. It was not any of the Elder Scrolls series games nor any popular games that I can easily google for. I know I am giving a very limited amount of descriptions but maybe somebody could help me google a few more lists of first person rpgs or have an idea of what im talking about. It might be best to say that any First Person Dungeon Crawler that allows you to see your hands AND weapons (shield too) would best decribe this game.

This is not:

Elder Scrolls Series
Ultima Underworld Series
Stonekeep

Also, it did have better graphics than Stonekeep so, it may have been windows/dos based and of Zork quality (later dos games)
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Anvil of Dawn matches your descriptions. If you look through the screenies, you can see your weapon as you swing it. It's also pretty rare. (I lucked out and found a copy on e-bay for $2)

If you could be a bit more definite about the exact year it'd be great. Wizardry lasted from 1980-2002, that's a pretty huge time span.
Daeos

Post by Daeos »

Sadly, this game I've already tried and it is not the same. The game I played did not start out in a castle as this game does. The game I am describing is more along the quality of StoneKeep. As for a better description, I only remembe walking through some Ruins, then going outside where the Gorgons were. Anvil starts you out in a castle (you pick from different classes, cut scenes remind me of Eye of the Beholder) In this game I do not remember picking a class, almost as if you are escaping from a prison maybe? as you are walking around stone hallways (yes very Arena like), Other than that, I can't recall much of anything else. And yes Anvil you can see your weapon, but my description... you can see your hands and arm. (armor on the hands/arms also) Seemed a bit detailed for the time period... and to think of when it was that i played it... im thinking ... 1992 to 1994.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Huh. Well, this has me stumped ATM. Maybe Wally knows?
Daeos_

Post by Daeos_ »

Its stumped me for many years. I remember playing the Wizardry 7 at the time also. (my computer did not like having to load the mouse driver in dos, so i could not enjoy 7 at all) There was some other games I played at the time also but they were much older... (Ultima series, Ultima UW/UW2)

I'll be surprised if someone finds it :cuccoan:
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Your best bet might be to browse through the DOS-RPG-1stPerson list at MobyGames:

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/r ... ctive/dos/

See if any of the names sound familiar, check the screenshots ... :shifty:
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Daeos

Post by Daeos »

I looked right now.. Am still going down the list but do not see it yet.