Can't remember name of old PC fantasy/strategy game?

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Rorsh13

Can't remember name of old PC fantasy/strategy game?

Post by Rorsh13 »

So I'm trying to figure out the name of an old PC game that I used to play:

It was a strategy/fantasy based game where you moved your units around hexagonal spaces. You would moved your units around like chess pieces and then end your turn which would allow the computer player to move his enemy units. You possessed a limited amount of turns to complete each level.

At the beginning of your campaign you would choose a leader/general(wizard, warrior...etc). Each general had different kinds/numbers of troops that you started out with.

I remember the premise of the game being that you were travelling from "state to state" to slowly conquer lands controlled by evil leaders. You would win if you were able to capture certain castles or if you destroyed all of the enemy units.

After every round you could purchase new units and upgrade your existing units. If your troop unit was destroyed in a level he was gone forever. You could also find "free" troop units scattered around each level in abandoned castles and whatnot.

One specific thing I rememer was that when you decided to attack an enemy unit your unit would act out a unique animation.
Ex: If you made your archers attack an enemy unit a few hexagons away your unit would "pull back and fire an arrow." Also, they made noises after you made each decision; attack, move, etc.

Thanks for the help
Kami

HOMM

Post by Kami »

your game could be "heroes of might and magic". But don't mistake it with "might and magic", that's a other game.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Warlords?
Guated

Post by Guated »

that does sound specificly like HEROES of might and magic. Being you can only upgrade your town once per turn. Every week is when they fill the castles with units. Tavern always has heros you can recruit which is warrior/wizard generaly.

Towns weren't really evil though minus the undead. I would guess more specificaly either HOMM1 or HOMM2. i'm playing part 3 and they don't stress the real combat situation. Mostly autocalcs the battle.