Strike Commander Installation

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
sumitb18

Post by sumitb18 »

I use a keyboard for controls of the game and not a thrustmaster as given in the manual. However, I still managed to find this following link for all the keyboard control keys.

http://www.the-underdogs.info/forum/vie ... 4dc1b5901b

But there's a big darn problem. I can't seem to get my 'T' (Switch Target) key to work. For some strange reason, it just doesn't switch targets. Also, the 'F7' key (Target View) doesn't work. Now, it's obvious that if no target is selected then how will the Target View key work. So then, how on earth do I get this 'T' key to work or am I doing something wrong ? Also, I feel I should mention here that I am trying these things in the Training Mission and not the game where there will be actual targets. Maybe I should try that tonight and see what happens.

Also, there seems to be no sound/speech in the game for me. In the game, when I talk to the characters, I see only words and no speech from them. Also, I remember when I used to play this game as a kid and when I would use Auto-pilot I would get a 'whooosh' kind of a sound which I get no more. I only get a lull of the engine sound when I turn the Music off.

I have a Speech Definitions pack which I installed in the exact same manner (from A to C) in the SC directory and still no sound/speech. I see that there are 2-3 .TREfiles in that directory whcih were extracted when I extracted the Speech pack but still nothing. Any help dosraider ?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

For your target T problem try to remap the key to another one in dosbox keymapper.
(It's all explained in the dosbox readme how to proceed).

About your A, if your auto works, be glad. Can be a bitch to land. And it's a long flight in real time sometimes.

For the speech: The first game release didn't had speech, it's a special addon. You must run speech.exe to install it and have the SPCH.FO*-SPCH.FL*.... files to be able to install correctly the speech pack.

Of course it's always possible that the game isn't 100% as you downloaded it. The original is a copy protected, and cracks sometimes ..... yep.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
sumitb18

Post by sumitb18 »

Ya I know that I might have the first version and there is a seperate Speech Definitions (SD) Pack that is in the Strike Commander and Tactical Operations Pack.

This SD pack contains the speech.exe and spch.flx and spch.f* files. I also install them from A to C to my C:\SC directory and I see both the files (MGSPEECH.TRE and MSSPEECH.TRE) in that directory successfully installed and present. In spite of this, when I talk to the characters, I hear only music and see words in the bottom but no speech like the way it should be.

I'll try the DOSBOX key remapper tonight and let you know the progress on my Target key 'T'.

Meanwhile, dosraider can you try and help me with the sound/speech please ?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Why don't you ask where you downloaded it?

It's probable that by cracking the game the speech was borked, wouldn't be the first time that happens.
Great chances that is the case, as you say you could apply the 'speech.exe', but applying it doesn't mean that the ingame triggers will work on a cracked version .....
That, and maybe do an extra check on your soundsettings.
And input EMS on the dosbox prompt, you must get a
ems=true in return.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
sumitb18

Post by sumitb18 »

Forget the sound settings...I checked them. Thet were alright. with that IRQ=7, 5 and 1 or or some shit. Anyways, the music plays and when my DOSBOX opens, it loads the default SB settings. Also, I hear speech when I kill a fighter pilot in mid-air combat so that's again not a problem. My only problem remains that I can't hear my own characters speak in the cinematic sequences. Guess I should not hope for too much and getting this far enough is more than good enough.

I tried the Target 'T' thing in mid-air Dogfights and it worked fine and even the F7 key worked fine. However, when I carry a few Mavericks on a Search-and-Destroy Training Missio, I can't seem to select a Target at all. Any help here, dosraider ? How will I ever get a kill on a ground target if I can't select one. I know I am doing something wrong, just don't know what. You will have to tell me detailed steps on how to select a ground target with a Air-to-Ground missile armed.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Or I could fly to India and play the game for you on your PC ....

:blah:

Djees man, try things out, sooner or later you'll find it.
Be creative.
Use your brain.

Be.Do.Try.
sumitb18

Post by sumitb18 »

Hehe...good one dude :)

So when are you coming ? After all, I gotta make arrangements you know ;)

Hehe....seriously ROTFLMAO :laugh:
sumitb18

Post by sumitb18 »

dosraider..I just discovered that I don't have the Gauntlet option in my SC in the Training Mission. Could this be an older version and hence link up with my speech problems ? :blah:
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Questions questions questions .... You ask answers from me that I can't answer friend.
How can I know what you have in hands?
Ask where you downloaded the game, really.

Me guess that if they included the speech pack it must be possible to get them working, how? No idea. Isn't there a readme or such? An *.nfo file?
AustrianGuy

still installation problems

Post by AustrianGuy »

Hi everyone,

i need your help very bad. I installed DosBoy 0.72 under Windows Vista into my users/username/ folder. copied the strike commander cd version into that folder. Mounted to a: the cd folder and to c: just the dosbox folder. i run from a: the install.exe and got that message.

"One of the configuration files either could not be located, or could not be created."

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

AustrianGuy wrote:... copied the strike commander cd version into that folder. Mounted to a: the cd folder and to c: just the dosbox folder. i run from a: the install.exe and got that message.
"One of the configuration files either could not be located, or could not be created."
*IF* you have the original CD version you can't install from A:
-(what a weird idea, did you ever saw a CDDrive as a: ?)-
but you must mount your CDDrive as d in dosbox, install the game from d: on c: in dosbox.
AustrianGuy

Post by AustrianGuy »

just tried it .... same result ...

am i really too stupid for this?? :(
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Give full details please:
All your mount lines, ALL of them.
Dosbox version?
Do you have the original CD?
AustrianGuy

Post by AustrianGuy »

mount c c:\users\attroesa\DOSBox-0.72\
mount d c:\users\attroesa\DOSBox-0.72\sc\

Version 0.72
Windows Vista
Downloaded SC from the underdogs
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

I don't have the HotU version,-(I have the original)- shouldn't you better ask over there?
Afterall, they should know how to get their games running, I think.

What you could try eventually is:
Create FIRST a c:\users\attroesa\oldgames\
Don't use your dosboxfolder as virtual C , bad idea.
Drag your SC folder to c:\users\attroesa\ and:
mount c c:\users\attroesa\oldgames\
mount d c:\users\attroesa\sc\ -t cdrom

This will mount it as D CDDrive, try to install it that way.-(Maybe, long shot ...)-
AustrianGuy

Post by AustrianGuy »

thank you my friend, it's installing right now