Would like to make an updated Solar Winds type game...

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Joe_Oh, how much I appreciate your efforts about that game you won't find me on your MSN, simply because that's for my kids/grandchildren or my family only.
As far as I know you don't fit in one of those categories.

About your game, I've already said I like the feel of it.
A small detail I miss is some kind of visual effect when I hit the accelerate button.
Some discrete exhaust flames or particles trail....
As I said, small detail.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Joe_Oh, maybe you could get dosraider to adopt you!

Or not!

lol :lolcat:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

dosraider wrote:Joe_Oh, how much I appreciate your efforts about that game you won't find me on your MSN, simply because that's for my kids/grandchildren or my family only.
As far as I know you don't fit in one of those categories.
*Deep breath in* *Deep breath out* Dosraider. I am your father.
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

I like the Alpha, but what did you base the sip design on? I thought the front was the back. :P Can't remember that being so in Solar Winds.
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

wardrich wrote:*Deep breath in* *Deep breath out* Dosraider. I am your father.
You may stop breathing now. KTHXBAI.

Gamer_V, the first thing that came in mind when I saw that space ship was that crashed alien egg-ship from Alien. Don't ask why.

And no Gamer_V, those aren't headlights but exhausts (I think).
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
MiniMax
Expert
Expert

Post by MiniMax »

dosraider wrote:Joe_Oh, how much I appreciate your efforts about that game you won't find me on your MSN, simply because that's for my kids/grandchildren or my family only.
You could set up alternate MSN accounts. I use Miranda as my IM client and are currently logged in with 3 MSN, 2 Yahoo, and one AIM, ICQ, and IRC accounts.
DOSBox ReadMe | DOSBox Wiki | DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You're right of course MiniMax.
Done that, been there, seen it.
However, when I'm online most of the time one (or more) of mine also is (are).
My time is for them and my work (also mostly online).
Even the sites I'm on only get short periods of my attention, I jump mostly in and out, never stay long.
No, tried that before, didn't work out in my situation.
Joe_Oh

Post by Joe_Oh »

Gamer_V, I made the ship from just my imagination. I guess it sorta resembles the ship of that Rigian alien, but not really. The 2 lighted parts are supposed to be the engine exaust. Glad you like the alpha though, I'll keep you all posted...

Joe-
I'd trade it all, for a little more...
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Thought it would interest you -(don't know what OS you have around to test)- that it runs swell in Vista64.
Congrats.
That's how it looks there:
Joe_Oh

Post by Joe_Oh »

Thanx for the pic posts. It definatly adds to the games credibility. I am now working on how to define star systems for more effiecient programming. I am gonna try to add newly thought up features such as (not nessesarily in the next beta release):

1) Each system has the option of having an Ort cloud. Ships will have the ability (when equiped) to scavange around this thin veil of dust, gas, and abandoned debris. This area will have a bit of randomality as well as how "wealthy" an ort cloud is. The longer the system has had a space ferring civilazation, the more "rich" this cloud will be. Or it can be dirt poor and only have dirty ice. ;) And yes, when properly equiped you can scavange when cloaked as to not be bothered. Unless a ship has a detector that will expose you.

2) Shared radar viewports. With strategy and combat, not all ships are always gonna have the same scanner equiptment. This can allow one ship to be the "eyes" in the dark as such in some nebulas were the "ionized gas" will cut normal sensor range 1000 fold. Many will be able to share (with permission of the broadcast ship) and see what that ship see's to avoid hidden landmines, spactial instability, and ships who prey on the unsuspecting vessel trying to do a shortcut to save on fuel.

So far this is what I have thought of in great detail. You Like? I like :D
Joe_Oh

Post by Joe_Oh »

***Update***

Still working on the game though albiet slow and steady. I am however hung-up on my scrolling random stars subroutine that will allow for the effects of movement and nebula particles being shown. As soon as that gets straightened out I can really move ahead.

-Joe
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Poor Joe_Oh, his social life must be a disaster zone .....
dimkick

Post by dimkick »

Hi Joe_Oh, I realize the last posting dates to Nov 3, 2007 but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway. I've stumbled across your project, 'distant empires' and it sounds really neat. A cosmic RPG solar winds style! very nice. I was looking to collaborate with you if you were still interested. I am a digital artist/animator.

In any case, im interested in knowing how your game has progressed! cheers.

:D
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

As you're registred you can send him a PM, maybe he's enabled the 'notify me on PM' option, or email him, ya never know the adr is still valid.
dimkick

Post by dimkick »

thanks for the heads up, just sent the pm.
CommonOddity

Hidely ho!

Post by CommonOddity »

Hey Joe_oh!

I've been bored at work and decided to throw 'games like solar winds' into google- since it was a series I thoroughly enjoyed when I was younger.

I was quite happy to find that this was one of the first pages google burped up. I've been taking a look at the work you've been doing and it's impressive, and I wanted to let you know that if you would like some help on the project I am glad to give it.

I know how to create relatively decent meshes in 3dsmax for objects- and I'm not sure what language you're coding in (haven't read through this whole thread, so I'm sure I missed it), but mayhaps I could also give a hand there (depending on language).

Cheers!
...C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Re: Hidely ho!

Post by CPT Worm »

CommonOddity wrote:Hey Joe_oh!

I've been bored at work and decided to throw 'games like solar winds' into google- since it was a series I thoroughly enjoyed when I was younger.

I was quite happy to find that this was one of the first pages google burped up. I've been taking a look at the work you've been doing and it's impressive, and I wanted to let you know that if you would like some help on the project I am glad to give it.

I know how to create relatively decent meshes in 3dsmax for objects- and I'm not sure what language you're coding in (haven't read through this whole thread, so I'm sure I missed it), but mayhaps I could also give a hand there (depending on language).

Cheers!
Well, I'm sorry to say that we haven't heard too much of Joe_oh lately. You revived a dead thread that had already been revived before. I'm not sure if he's working on the project any longer or not.

Check out http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8230#78230. You might be able to send him an email, if it's still valid.
But other than that, please read the forum rules and enjoy the forum otherwise.

Also, if you can't get a hold of him, maybe you should try coding the game for yourself? I've found it to be a fun hobby!
Sustinendum Victoriam!