Dosbox PSP Compatibility and batch file list

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Dosbox PSP Compatibility and batch file list

Post by Wally »

Seeing Dosbox PSP is really raving at the moment,

I decided that this would be the BEST place for hosting the batch files that allow people to run their games.

I will post the batch files / Settings file of those games that work full speed with the best controls soon enough.

First of all i'll post those games which have been discovered full speed

Supaplex
Jill of the Jungle
Commander Keen 4
Dangerous Dave
Hocus Pocus (OPL3 music is a bit slow still)
Colonisation - between turns it lags (Thanks Freeman)
Crime Fighter - Thanks again Freeman
Ascendancy (slightly slow but playable)
Goblins 1
Baryon (It doesn't work. There is a memory bug)
UFO: Enemy Unknown (Very Slow) (Freeman)
Eye of the beholder II: The legend of Darkmoon: Running a lill slow with sound, and I think at fullspeed w/o sound! (Guest)

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel => Works Perfectly (freeman)
Trog => It crashes in load screen. (freeman)
The Humans => Works nice but if there is a lot of animations in the level, the game runs a little slow but it is playable. (freeman)

Lemmings Two: Tribes
Duke Nukem 1
Crystal Caves 1 2 3
Secret Agent 1 2 3
Home Alone
Skyroads - Keys tend to stick
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures - cant press two keys at once
Xwing
The Lion King - jerks a bit.

Anyone else who uses Dosbox PSP please help here :)

Last Updated : 27/8/07
Last edited by Wally on Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Guest »

I would also think it would be handy if you had any special key mappings or ini file changes for those games listed as well. Like for me, wolf3d is playable but I have a specfic key mapping and some ini modifications (done and undone via a wolf3d batch file). At any rate, Wolf3d and Xwing are playable, though I have yet to map out Xwing and don't know if I'll have enough keys to make it very usable.

Post by Guest »

Games running in DosBox 7.1 (latest release):

Colonisation: almost Fullspeed, just loading between the turns is a lil slow)

Crime Fighter: Running at 100 %

Eye of the beholder II: The legend of Darkmoon: Running a lill slow with sound, and I think at fullspeed w/o sound!

I'll expand this list as soon as I tried other games!

Post by Guest »

btw, batch for wolf3d (edit for your directories and such):

Code: Select all

config -set "dos ems=on" 
config -set "sdl sensitivity=100" 
@ECHO OFF 
cd wolf3d 
INPUTMAP up 1 
INPUTMAP right 2 
INPUTMAP down 3 
INPUTMAP left 4 
INPUTMAP triangle lshift 
INPUTMAP square space 
INPUTMAP cross lctrl 
INPUTMAP circle lalt 
INPUTMAP start y 
INPUTMAP select esc 
INPUTMAP exec wolf3d 
config -set "sdl sensitivity=50"
this will allow you to use the mouse for pretty decent control, then turn the sensitivity back down for those using dn.
]--Freeman--[

Problems with mapping keys in Prince Of Persia 1

Post by ]--Freeman--[ »

Hi!

I think it's a great idea to make a compatibility and batch file list!! Not everyone know enought how to make work the games in DosBox. I believe that this post will be useful.

Well, I have a problem with one of my favourite games: Prince Of Persia 1.
The movements doesn't work. Here is the batch file:

@ECHO OFF
cd prince

INPUTMAP up up

INPUTMAP right right

INPUTMAP down down

INPUTMAP left left

INPUTMAP cross rshift
INPUTMAP circle space

INPUTMAP start enter

INPUTMAP select esc

INPUTMAP exec prince

I tested with the keys of numeric keypad but it didn't work either.

If you can help me a little, I'll be very grateful ^^
My Operating System is Ubuntu Feisty but I don't know if this data is helpful...

Thanks a lot!!
Wally

Post by Wally »

Thanks for your contributions people :)

Would pay to register here, so you can be recognized instead of having your name debunked as Guest.

Prince of persia, to my understanding didnt use the arrow keys.
I believe it used I J K L respectively

Thanks for providing the Wolf3d batch file Guest, I'll get around to adding them soon.
narrus

Post by narrus »

yeah, sorry bout the Guest deal, didn't even notice the first time. At any rate, just found you can remap the l and r triggers to things other than mouse clicks. I may have to alter that file now. I think moving strafing to r may work better.
Wally

Post by Wally »

No problem :)

Yeah L and R are remappable, the question is what keys..

I wish CrazyC would provide a readme

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your contributions people Happy

Would pay to register here, so you can be recognized instead of having your name debunked as Guest.

Prince of persia, to my understanding didnt use the arrow keys.
I believe it used I J K L respectively

Thanks for providing the Wolf3d batch file Guest, I'll get around to adding them soon.
Sorry. I'm ]--Freeman--[ and I registered 2 or 3 days ago. But, I've not received an activation mail of my account yet.
Anyway, I've mapped the keys I J K L as movement buttons and it doesn't work. If only happened with Prince Of Persia 1, it would be a problem of this games, but it happens with all the games which need movement buttons. It's so weird...

Greetings!! And thanks in advance!!
Wally

Post by Wally »

No problem,

if you are having trouble with activation. its best to email emmzee directly.

I have told already done that for you, chances are he wont get hte message :P
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Hi ]--Freeman--[, sorry about the missing email. Sometimes ISPs/webmailers count the subscription confirmation emails as spam.

I've activated your account so you should now have full posting privileges. Welcome to the forum! :D
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
]--Freeman--[

Post by ]--Freeman--[ »

Thanks a lot Wally and Emmzee! ;)

Well, I still have this strange problem with the keys mapping. I think I'll test another game (for example Wolfenstein 3D) to know if it's a problem of my PSP firmware (3.40 OE) or dosbox. BTW, I tested some games for the list: :D

Ascendancy (slightly slow but playable)
Goblins 1
Baryon (It doesn't work. There is a memory bug)
UFO: Enemy Unknown (Very Slow)

Regards!

EDIT: Well I tested Supaplex and the keys mapping works :). In conclusion, I don't map the control keys correctly. Anybody know the original control keys of Prince Of Persia?? I tested arrows and numpad keys but it doesn't work.
narrus

Post by narrus »

This week I tested the following:
Tyrian - good except slows when under heavy graphic load but definitely playable
Raptor - tested to login and worked fine, runs approx the same engine as Tyrian so predict it'll be fine
Privateer - loads up till New game is selected, but then crashes. Need to investigate.
DukeNukem3D - not enough memory, need to test some more. Expect it to be slow.
Xwing - playable but with very low graphics, still need to create a batch to map keys.

On Prince of Persia
From the dosarchives:
Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move the Prince in all directions. Use the Shift key to grab onto ledges and pick up items, and hold SHIFT while pressing the arrow keys to walk. Walking allows the prince to stand more closely on edges and pass through spikes. If you are having difficulty performing the Standing Forward Jump (UP+Left or Right arrow key), you may use the space bar to perform this move.

When in Combat mode, the left and right arrow keys will move the Prince towards or away from the enemy. Pressing up will allow you to parry an incoming attack, and pressing down will allow you to put your sword away in case you need to escape.
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

Duke nukem 3d has an actual psp port, so it would be rather silly to play it with dosbox. Anyway, time to undust the olde psp.
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .
]--Freeman--[

Post by ]--Freeman--[ »

Yesterday I tested the following:

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel => Works Perfectly
Trog => It crashes in load screen.
The Humans => Works nice but if there is a lot of animations in the level, the game runs a little slow but it is playable.

Regarding Prince Of Persia, if the original controls are the arrow keys, then it is a dosbox psp bug.

Regards!!
narrus

Post by narrus »

Wolf3d (since it was missed before) - playable
Doom - functional, though slow.

DukeNukem3D - crashes at load screen.
Retro Gamer

Elder Scrolls:Arena?

Post by Retro Gamer »

..Ok... NOw that I have my PSP bought and modded to CFW3.90 M33-3+1.50 Kernal V2+FatMSPatch V2, I'm ready to run some of the good old stuff via Dosbox as I do on my laptop... At the moment I'm trying to run Elder Scrolls:Arena. The 1st in the awesome series of RPG/HAck'n'Slash games. Its a free download from the company's site so even better...

..I adapted my arena.conf and arena.bat to work with the PSP version of Dosbox. It does run up to the point of sound initialization then dumps out with this error: "DynrecCore: illegal option in dyn_grp4_ev"

This is with core=dynamic set... When I set core=normal I get this error at the same point: "CPU:GRP5: Illegal Call 7"

..I'll keep trying, but if anyone out there has gotten it to run please post the details... TIA
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Don't set your hopes up too high getting a fast respons here, afterall it's mainly a PC/Mac board here.
Not that much of our members do PSP stuffies.
Maybe better try on a PSP board?

Or shout extremely loud for Wally, but he's a real lazy bastard .....
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Retro Gamer

Post by Retro Gamer »

..I wasn't counting on a quick response... This was one of the 1st posts I've found discussing Dosbox on the PSP so I figured I would throw up a post and keep looking in other places... ;) ..I did manage to have it running with in a hour of this post, but with out sound and a bit slow... Ah well... There are plenty of other games that run fine...

dosraider wrote:Don't set your hopes up too high getting a fast respons here, afterall it's mainly a PC/Mac board here.
Not that much of our members do PSP stuffies.
Maybe better try on a PSP board?

Or shout extremely loud for Wally, but he's a real lazy bastard .....
Dert

Post by Dert »

Hi, guys, i solved the problem in Prince 1 that ]--Freeman--[ was talking about!

There are two ways:
1. Add "INPUTMAP analog joystick" to the your start_psp.bat in the game's folder on PSP. You'll have file like this:

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF 
INPUTMAP up up 
INPUTMAP right right 
INPUTMAP down down 
INPUTMAP left left 
INPUTMAP triangle k 
INPUTMAP square rshift
INPUTMAP cross lctrl
INPUTMAP circle lalt
INPUTMAP start enter 
INPUTMAP select esc
INPUTMAP ltrigger l
INPUTMAP rtrigger r
INPUTMAP analog joystick
INPUTMAP exec princeC2
2. Really the problem occurs because the game start in "joystick" mode. To solve this problem you can add line "INPUTMAP triangle k" into your start_psp.bat, so u'll have the same file. And when level 1 starts press CTRL+K (cross + triangle), so the game will be in keyboard mode. ENJOY! Prince is one of the best games ever, i think!