More problems with Origin games...... >_>

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Mr.Smiley4

More problems with Origin games...... >_>

Post by Mr.Smiley4 »

Ok, a week ago I bought this and it came yesterday. I tried to .bat a program "ORIGIN" which redirected me to a .exe called "CDGAMES" (normally I wouldnt bring this up, but Ultima 6 and WC have their own installers so I'm now really sure what it is). Everything was pretty hunky dory until it says this:

Saying Yes or No exits the "installer" . Installing WC had one of the same problems as WC2 did. It gave me the stupid "please insert Wing Commander Disk 1 into drive [whatever]" crap, but I could manually install it so no big problems there. Then Ultima 6 has sound problems. No matter what I change in the DOSBox .cfg file or the install there's no sound. Here are the choices:

Anyone have any ideas to help me?
PC Gamer ever since I was 3. :)
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

Choose none and it will probably use beeber sounds. Use some more cycles. are their any other bat or exe files on the thing.?
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
Mr.Smiley4

Post by Mr.Smiley4 »

Ok, there's a text file on what version everything is, another text file which is copyright crap, something called "COPYRIT.SCR" which I'm guessing is more copyright crap, the CDGAMES.exe, and a CDGAMES.PAC which when I open it in Notepad it list every file on the CD. The thing that sucks is there's no notepad version of the manuals for U6 or WC. I think I read somewhere that it came with the original manuals and stuff, and that really pisses me the fuck off (sorry for swearing, but it just sucks that all copies i can find only have the disk and case).
PC Gamer ever since I was 3. :)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You will need u6patch for midi,you can find it @ http://www.uo.com/archive/ftp/patches/

Set music to adlib and keep the cycles in dosbox really low ( on my PC : 1000)
Also the sound is turned on/off ingame by CTRL+Z ( from memory here, not 100% sure)

If you're in for more of those ol'Ultimas bookmark that site.

:)

*Edit
No manual but a cluebook@
http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.4375

*Edit²
They seems to have the full ultima VI and manual @ abandonia.
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

Do you have append,subst and join exe files as they seem to be utility files and judging the first pic their must be more install files or a second disk or something. You could search for the utility files if you don't have them. That should solve the problem.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

abyss wrote:Do you have append,subst and join exe files as they seem to be utility files ...
Those files are MSDos files. ;)
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

Well if smiley searches for them then he can get the game running.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Never tried subst or append or join in dosbox t'll now.
So don't know if they work in it.
Don't gonna try neither.

It simply means (about that CD) that the games their installers are not rewritten, they use the original floppy versions of them and subst/app the cd files to a floppy drive.

Works of course in plain MSDos (or other Dos) as those files are always included in the system files.
Would also work fine in VPC with MSDos 6.22 or Freedos.

What amaze me a bit here Abyss, is that you don't seem to know those files, as they are also included in W95,-(used by many W95 install progs)-, and you stated already about 300 times on this board that you are an adept of W95. Look for them in W95, you'll find them.

*Edit
Mr.Smiley4's games should be running by now. ;)
I think.
MiniMax
Expert
Expert

Post by MiniMax »

Abyss never fails to amaze me.
DOSBox ReadMe | DOSBox Wiki | DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Update:
Dosbox has the subst internal command.
Join and append seems to be missing.

subst works fine in dosbox, you can substitute (associate) a folder/file to a specific drive (floppy).
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.