What brand sound card are you guys using for dos games

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.

What brand sound card do you use for DOS games

Soundblaster or SB Pro 8 Bit
13%
Gravis Ultrasound Classic, MAX, PnP
No votes
Ensoniq Soundscape
No votes
SB ISA Compatibles such as Aztec, Reveal etc
No votes
Newer PCI cards with SB support Aureal, Live etc
No votes
Roland cards
No votes
Soundblaster 16, 32 , AWE etc 16 bit
88%

Total votes: 8

Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

What brand sound card are you guys using for dos games

Post by Unknown_K »

I have Soundblasters, Ensoniq soundscapes, and Gravis Ultrasounds
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

I have no clue.........I'm such a dumbass.........
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Da_Goat honesty like that will get you a high level government security job.
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

oh crap, then, I mean........I have a video card, but I can't tell you which kind, it's a secret :P
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Oz »

he was talkin' bout sound cards, you security guard.

i use what win ME calls a "legacy Device" i don't know what it means, but it lists all the info i need, like port num, IRQ, DMA, Buffer, etc.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

I didnt think making a POLL work would be so hard. Everybody loves retro games, few like retro hardware :cry:
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I use jolly ol' SB 16 when playing DOSgames and the sort.
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Ad option

Post by johpower »

I have a Turtle Beach Tropez Plus (Crystal chipset). Was very hot in it's day (up to 12 MB sound file storage). How about an "other" option in this poll.
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Wouldnt that card fall into the SB compatible PCI card section?
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Or clones?
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

I didnt think making a POLL work would be so hard. Everybody loves retro games, few like retro hardware
Hardware is fun.

i accidentally voted for the wrong thing. I saw soundblaster so i voted for it. i didnt notice the bottom one that says soundblaster 16 awe, which is what i have.
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Oz »

dude, i don't play many dos games, so i don't pay much attention to my sound card. sorry about you feeling the "dead thread after a week and i started it" syndrome, it happens to the best of us.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Well unlike todays soundcards that have just DirectX support, the older cards were proprietary. Alot of the old games could use different soundcards but some sounded alot better then others. And most cards tried SBPro emulation and alot of those sounded really bad. Even the SB16 and later cards didnt FULLY support SBPRo 2 hardware.

In my opinion todays games need a good video card, the old DOS games needed a good sound card.

Thats why I started the poll.. this is Dosgames so figured a few people would be using older soundcards.
FLIPPER

Post by FLIPPER »

Hello everyone, this is my first post here :D

Anyway, I have about 5 sound blaster ISA cards for my dos machines. I started with wanting to build up a dos machine 3 weeks ago to having 3 of them now heh.

1 orginial SB16
2 vibra 16's pnp OEM
2 awe64's what I am currently using, however it doesn't seem to be supported by many older games.

What should I keep an eye out for soundcard wise?
Cheers,
JEMM UNLOADING
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

The good thing about dos machines is that they are cheap :)

My combination of sb16+yamaha dbx50 waveblaster addon with a gravis ultrasound PnP 8mb plays just about anything, my older machine with sbpro2 and gravis ultrasound max does well on the older games

(the gravis cards do a decent roland emulation and are directly supported in quite a few games)
Octocon888

Post by Octocon888 »

u know come to think of it my first computer was an Atari ST B) (proper good those were), then my first PC was er... 486DX2 erm i think it was running at 60mhz with turbo...not exactly sure. Ah those turbothings... great weren't they... these days we hav to o/c our PCs and just think if we can just press one button to make them go fasterit will make our lives better.

my point is this, when i had my first PC i was a teenager... and well i only wanted one thing.. games! since my ST was the king of games then. The exact details of the system has dissappeared, i simply can't remember :cry: i can't remembe what sndcard it was or the gfx card, all i wanted was DOOM, PBF, wolf3D, 4D stuntcar (something like that), all the luca arts advertures, duke3D (by far the best shooter) and a few other games.

I would build a dos machine but it cost money just for games, thats y i rather want to be able to run those games on my current PC.. simple.
i know ppl love dos and d/l dos appz and go completely dos mad... sry to say i'm not that enthusiastic but i love anything retro, i even hav emus for my ST fantastic!
one game that should hav come out on dos-should be dungeon master!!! the first realtime 1st person game!
:devil: sry i went of at a tangent..
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Alot of people end up giving dos era machines away for free. Its better to have the original equipment so all you do is spend time playing the game and not messing with your new os trying to get each game to work.
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

Unknown_K wrote:Wouldnt that card fall into the SB compatible PCI card section?
Not really. It's an ISA 16-bit card refuses to agree with my Windoze PC :cry: so it stays in the DOS machine. There is a compatability mode but this negates some of the highend features. Old tech is annoying, eh?

Now I wish all the others had TB compatability! Why have super CD quality sound capacity but lousy electronics that hiss and hum like a 40's tube amp?! The TB Tropez attached to my 1980 80wt/ch Yamaha integrated amp and 4 speaker set plays clean music and shakes the house during Great Naval Battles. Happily/sadly TB still makes some of the best sound cards money could buy..... and I'll get one (PCI) on sale soon. :)
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Yea, my SBpro 2.0 is a little hissy.. but it adds to the experience of the old games (cant beat old hardware for that).

Just about any of the newer PCi sound cards have a good S/N ratio.

My Aureal based cards are all dead quiet. I quit using my stereo for playing games because it was TOO easy to crank it up. I remember playing mechwarrior 2 back in the day hooked up to my old 80W stereo with 12" sub , it would rattle the house.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Unknown_K wrote:it adds to the experience of the old games (cant beat old hardware for that).
:thumbsup:
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!