forgotten

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

MWAHAHAHAHA

This is great.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Abyss, about your question how to get the ZX emulator-games running:
Usage:

1. In the directory where z.com is located, Spectrum's ROM image must be placed (48.rom of 16K size if option SPECTRUM_128K was off while compiling, otherwise 128.rom of 32K size).
2. It is possible to pass a name of sna-image in a command line. Common command line format is:
z [/s] filename[.sna]
(Key /s - turn sounds off initially).
3. Keys:
F1 - Help,
F2 - Save (always to a file Z.SNA);
F3 - Load a snap from file Z.SNA (normal) or from SNA-file selected from a list (bigger) - depending on option LOAD_SELECT while compiling;
F4 - Reload file, loaded initially (if it was passed in command line);
F5 - Toggle sound on/off;
ESC - Exit from the emulator.
Some of operations above become unavailable if correspondent option is turned off while compiling.
4. Arrow keys (including NUMPAD keys) emulate Kempston-joystick. Fire can be pressed with Ins, Del and Tab. Also, some additional keys (',', '.', '"', '-', '+') are emulated.
5. To recompile it is enough to have TASM5 by Borland (TLINK and MAKE are in its distributive).
In the folder where you stored the emulator ( IF it's the same that's on the pic) you find a Z-eng.htm, read it.
I use the 128.ROM in it, but sometimes (mostly for the oldest games you will need the 48.ROM.
Basicly:
Run dosbox, CD to the Z folder, input:
Z -filename.ext
That's it.
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

I'm planning on playing only user made games and which spectrum emulator is that becasue mine is completely different than that one. I am using SPECEM. I have to push alt-escape to exit and not just escape. The text file is named SPECEM. I want to play manic miner 7 which is a user made game.

I only plan on playing usermade games.
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

It is that emulator:
Z.com by Vladimir Kladov (107,066 bytes)
The smallest working emulator supporting both the 48K and 128K models (6Kb!)
The source code is available at his site as well. [08/11/03]

But Specem is also an exellent one.
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

Can you tell me how to use specem as i really don't like z
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Now, how to use SPECEM euuuuu did you read the SPECEM.DOC ?

Simply input:
SPECEM FILENAME.EXT

For the games included in the download it is:
specem batty.prg
specem destiny.prg
specem nrally.prg
specem mid_resy.prg

In the start screen of the games you can choose the numbers of players, the input device, best take the 'kemston' joystick as it uses the cursor keys and ALT for fire. If you take 'keyboard' input the keys are à-S-D-F-G-A-Z ( I'm on Belgian AZERTY keyboard, yours will be different! )

There are many many keystrokes if you use the ZX emulator without gamefile specified, it acts as a real ZX for code input, look at the specem.doc for them. You can load, save code......testrun....

Don't know what more to say, run the program and use it, take a good look at the specem.doc, maybe print it out.

There is also a dissassembler that works with QBasic, PDEX, that you can use .... it's also pretty good documented in the SPECEM.doc.

Keep in mind the SPECEM emulator is dosbased, and thus expect the user to know the basic inputs, maybe you would be better off with a Windows one ? Just a thought.

That's how to start the batty game: ( a breakout game):

Still can do it (meheh):
(and still a funny game)
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

Thanks for the help. I can finally play some usermade games. How do i get into spectrum basic though. I decided to use a windows spectrum emulator to play those user made games.

I am playing a usermade jet set willy game where willy is in space. I like how you can have infinite lives as i am always dying in the game. That's all i do with the emulator play usermade games.

Great usermade spectrum games and at the bottom their is a game called 4k race refueled which a very good game. I am fairly good at the game but that's because i play the atari 2600 game enduro a lot on my atari 2600.
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/otto/spe ... ctrum.html