alley cat

Add your own reviews of games here.
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

alley cat

Post by abyss »

I will be reviewing <strike>alley cat</strike> <i>Alley Cat</i>, which is a <u>game where you are a cat and have to do cat things</u>. (Ambiguous, please elaborate)

<strike>g</strike>Gameplay: <strike>a</strike> A fun game. <strike>that will give you some fun.</strike> Unnecessary verbiage. The only problem is that the game is a little hard and quite repetitive; even for a game made in 1984 7/10

<strike>g</strike>Graphics: The graphics were very great for <strike>it's</strike> its time. <strike>t</strike>The only thing <strike>i</strike> I never quite understood is why <strike>is their</strike> there is red cheese and why is <strike>their</strike> there a broom that can fly around, <strike>and</strike> attack you, and move by itself<strike>.</strike>? 9/10

Sound: The sound was quite good for <strike>it's</strike>its time but was <strike>nt</strike> not the best. 9/10

<strike>compatiability</strike> Compatibility: The game will run on almost any computer and since it has <strike>pc</strike> PC speaker sound, you can get sound even if you don't have a <strike>s</strike>Sound <strike>b</strike>Blaster audio card. 10/10

<strike>r</strike>Replayability: <strike>t</strike>This <strike>gme</strike> game gets very repetitive quickly, but a lot of games <strike>at its time did</strike> from this era of gaming suffered from the same problem. 5/10

<strike>o</strike>Overall: A fairly good game game that is a little too hard and gets repetitive. <strike>and</strike> Some things like red cheese and brooms that move on <strike>it's</strike> their own brings down the score. 7/10

Abyss, please see me after class. -Professor Wardrich
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

I agree thee. But, it feels good and the broom gives some o' thoose moments. 100, period.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
wadeo999
Expert
Expert

Post by wadeo999 »

how bout typing properly and not typing "gme" and not typing like your three
-WADEJ999

The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

Don’t criticise others on their typing skills when your own are in need of some attention, it makes you look like an idiot.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
Final Chance
Expert
Expert

Post by Final Chance »

The Broom:

It puts you under pressure to play the game quicker
It can let you do a Super Jump
It can fling you right out the window
It adds an element of strategy (you can try to make footprints to distract it, yet spending too much time making footprints puts you in danger)
It forces you to pay attention to it

Example: The bird-cage

The broom can help you get on the table or it can knock you off
Once you break the cage it can help you get the bird or it might catapult you away from the bird

The other mini-games are similar in that the broom can either be an advantage or a disadvantage, either by luck or by skill.

It's actually a stroke of genius on Bill Williams' part, how one simple object can have such a huge impact on gameplay. Both luck and skill will decide if the broom helps you or ruins you.

One of the few active characters/objects in games that is neither an enemy nor a friend. Again, pure genius. :)
jayh121

Post by jayh121 »

This might sound like a silly question, but can you get this in the app store? Would love to try out Alley Cat :)

Post by nickherc »

One of my first games. My favourite "room" was where you were meant to capture fishes :D. How many were there?

Giant cheese.
Sleeping dogs.
Flying birdie in a cage.
Giant cheese.

Any more? I can't recall.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Spider and bookshelf.
Bride and Cubids.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

I hate to be a grammar Nazi and I do not usually do it on open forums, but if someone is going to do something official as in a review, you might as well run it through a spell checker and proof read it a few times. At least capitalize your "I's" and proper names. And you did not give much of a review to begin with. You hardly mentioned anything about the game. Not that there was a lot to it I admit, but certainly more than what you posted.

Besides being a cat, a flying broom and red cheese, I have not a clue what the game you are trying to review is about, minus the fact that I have already played it. The very least you could have done was say it was about mini games of varying degrees and maybe give a few examples.

I am aware this is a very old post and the person who wrote it may no longer even be here, but since it was some what recently revived and I read it, I put my two cents in. This can be said for any review in my opinion.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Is that better, DOS Wolf? :laugh:
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Excellent! :thumbsup: To be perfectly honest, I normally would only mention official posts like this privately so there could be no embarrassment on the poster. I hate people that comment on every little mistake. But since there was a lot as you just showed, which makes it seem like they did not care and someone else had even made a comment, but nothing was done about it, I figured I would say something. :suspicious: I also understand English is not everyone's first language, but that was just plain sloppy.
Last edited by DOS Wolf on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

IIRC, Abyss wasn't much liked in these parts. But those were days from long ago. I'm sure he's matured now, and hope the best for him.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

People in society has to be trained to be able to socialize well. If people cannot communicate properly then misunderstanding happens. The Holy Bible gives one standard above regular society's teaching that prevents misunderstandings. That standard is Jesus Christ!
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

No it is not. You have three religions all looking at Jesus differently, but all still praying to the same God. So if anything, Jesus is definitely not the standard. And if you want to get into a discussion I suggest we get it back into the many threads you had already started and not start doing it here.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

:angel:

Well, I hehe consider you a friend now so I am just going to drop it. Back on track, I just wanted to say I "try" my best to be grammatically correct. However, please remember I am Vietnamese and my parents had to take "English as a Second Language" class when they came over. So if we immigrants seem like we have an accent at least we can get something across. We are "trying". It is tough facing discrimination, refugee status, and such.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
RetroDosGames

Post by RetroDosGames »

Oh shit i loved that game :wow:

The longest game i ever played, and very fun. Hope they will make more Alley Cat (probably starting a series)
Last edited by RetroDosGames on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOS games are cool!
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

RetroDosGames wrote: Hope they will make more Alley Cat (probably starting a series)
If that was going to happen, it would have happened about 30 years ago.