Pc argument

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Pc argument

Post by abyss »

Everyone says a 486 is the best for dos games but is it really. Can a 486 play quake or tomb raider perfectly no it can't. A 486 can't play light house either. A perfect dos machine would be a pentium 2 windows 95 with a sound blaster. Now why would you say that is the best operating system. 1. If the game runs too fast or gives a run time error you could use moslo or tp patch. 2. It can also play the early windows games some of which won't work on a 486 or a xp. 3. It can play some of the newer dos games at perfect speed which a 486 can't. Any game a 486 can run a windows 95 with a pentium 2 can. A high end pentuium 2 can play all but a few games made up until 2000 perfectly. I used to have a high end pentium 2 windows 95 and that was the best computer i ever used. I would install dos games and run them with the pc speakeer or if i did not have the option a regular sound blaster even though i had the ability to use a sound blaster 16 or even gravis ultrasound. I never tried to run any game in pure dos on my windows 95.

I used to be really dumb when i first got the windows 95 I used to never be able to install some dos games because when i read the instructions it told me to type something and i used to think you were supposed to type in type. Another thing was one time i went into pure dos but it took me over 30 minutes to figure out how to get back into windows. I used to not know about ctrl alt delete so whenever a problem occured i would turn off the computer. I did a lot of things with the old windows 95 i used to have. I used to shut off the computer when it said press any key after spending a lot of time searching for a any key. I found out when it says press any key you can press any key to start the thing you want to start.
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

A bit too much to *quote* so:
Can a 486 play quake or tomb raider perfectly no it can't.
Yes it can, you seem to forget that a 486 came in different taste, never heard of a DX66? DX100 ? They can EASILY run quake and the dos tombraider games, EASILY.

(Tombraider (I)was a pure dosgame, win support was only added from TombraiderII, but even TRIGold was in fact a dosgame)

It can play some of the newer dos games at perfect speed which a 486 can't.
See above.....

A perfect dos machine would be a pentium 2 windows 95 with a sound blaster. Now why would you say that is the best operating system. 1. If the game runs too fast or gives a run time error you could use moslo or tp patch.

??? Djees man, what's the use of a P2 in dosgames ? All that's above a P1/100 or 200 is a complete overkill .
But: You can indeed (if you have one) use a P2 for dosgaming, but in heaven's name forget W95 for dos. If you have a P2 and you can't set up dos use W98, pref W98SE, much better than W95 ever was, and maybe strange but W98(SE) has better dossupport.

Learn set up a dosenvironment before you state anything as A perfect dos machine would be a pentium 2 windows 95.

I will not reply on the rest of your statements, that would be considerated as pure flaming, I'm affraid.
Final Chance
Expert
Expert

Post by Final Chance »

From my experience, a Pentium 100 with 16 MB RAM should be perfect for about 90% of DOS games.

Pentium II uses the Pentium PRO design, which Intel designed from the ground up (where as Pentium and 486 are 386s on steroids), and it uses hardware emulation for DOS mode, where Pentium 233 MMX and lower use true DOS mode.

The Pentium II also uses extremely fast L2 cache compared to the Pentium, so if you're using a Pentium II, you can use a DOS utility called CPUCACHE (google for SLOWDOWN) to shut off the cache, which is like a super pill for an incredible number of DOS games, since 386 and lower had NO CACHE AT ALL on the CPU itself.
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

My Pentium 166 MMX with 24 MB RAM with Windows 98SE worked really well.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Its funny, but I have a few 486 machines but none are dedicated to DOS Games.

A tandy 1000 or PC Jr is best for older CGA type games, nothing newer outside of emulation can touch it because of hardware quirks.

A 386/40 with a turbo button is best for early VGA type games

A Pentium 200/233MMX is perfect for the later DOS games, especially DOOM/QUAKE type games and there are PCI slots for a 3DFX card so you can play Tombraider 1 with the 3dfx patch, or Mechwarrior.

A 486 can be a decent DOS game machine (a dx/2 66 is decent), but its too fast for some and too slow for others.

I also think you cannot get the best soundcards needed to play all the ranges of DOS games into one machine. Early games that support Soundblaster Pro 2.0 will not work correctly with later 16 bit soundblasters.
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

What is the difference between a windows 98 and windows 98 se.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You could say that W98 is the first official public release,
W98SE is the more finished product, more reliable and stable, better USB support , netwerk conn, more advanced harddware support, blablabla... and so on.

A bit as XP sp1 and XPsp2. ( yes yes I know, it's only a matter of speaking, don't jump on it *lolz* )

If you can choose between W98 and W98SE take W98SE.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

4y's the most compatible for the largest game selection, especially if thou accept low graphic resolution or details. Fastest games are too fast even in 286.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

I still think a 256 mb ram pentium 2 windows 95 is the perfect computer
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Let me repeat:
A P2/256 is a PERFECT W98SE pc.

[echo mode on]
W95 is worthless, really.

For your information:
W95 CAN NOT REALLY USE 256 MB RAM.
No, it can't, really really not. really.
[/echo mode off]
Abyss wrote: I used to be really dumb when i first got the windows 95 I used to never be able to install some dos games because when i read the instructions it told me to type something and i used to think you were supposed to type in type. Another thing was one time i went into pure dos but it took me over 30 minutes to figure out how to get back into windows. I used to not know about ctrl alt delete so whenever a problem occured i would turn off the computer. I did a lot of things with the old windows 95 i used to have. I used to shut off the computer when it said press any key after spending a lot of time searching for a any key. I found out when it says press any key you can press any key to start the thing you want to start.
To be honnest with you, I think your poor ol'W95 pc commited suicide after all those maltreatings you inflicted upon the victime.

It's time you let that poor ol'thing RestInPeace.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

lol... I just realised... "Where's teh "any key key"???? :Angry: "

<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

The windows 95 was replaced with a xp which was a huge mistake. The windows 95 had 256 mb ram and windows 95 is capable of doing that. The computer always ran excellently and went through lot of things. The computer should have overloaded or something but it never did. The computer never stopped running excellently. I used it the last time in 2001 and it was running just as nicely as it did when it was new. I had an excellent dos video card and i could play almost any do game i played on it although i used a slowdown program for what ran too fast. The xp does not run as nicely as the day i got it though.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

abyss wrote:The windows 95 was replaced with a xp which was a huge mistake. The windows 95 had 256 mb ram and windows 95 is capable of doing that.
OMG,

I gonna say two things to you :
1) [386enh]
2) maxphyspage

If you don't understand what I mean by that your knowledge is nihil, and this whole discussion is vain and completely futile.
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

What is a 386enh and a maxphyspage. I don't understand what you are talking about. I have never heard of them before.
CPT Worm

Post by CPT Worm »

Well, since this can't go anywhere but downhill, *LOCK*
Sustinendum Victoriam!
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

I fell that I must add one final footnote to this. Since Abyss seems determined to create a large number of topics about various things and you all seem determined to argue every point you can with him, heed these words:

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win, you’re still retarded.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>