MAking my own

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
ladada

MAking my own

Post by ladada »

how do i make my own MS DOS games without spending any money at all? :)
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Ancient Domains of Mystery
(ADOM for short)
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

um, I don't think you can make a game with ADOM.....

Anyway, try ZZT or Megazeux. The graphics aren't great, but it's playable.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Check out:

http://www.ambrosine.com/resource.html

It's a list of game-making programs. Some of 'em are unfinished ... some of 'em just plain suck ... but there's a lot of 'em there so prolly you'll be able to find one that does what you want.

The other option is to learn a programming language (like QBasic, C, Euphoria, etc) ... that gives you more freedom but it's usually a lot more time consuming to learn.
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
nastypoisonspikes
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by nastypoisonspikes »

...wow, emmzee posted in GC!
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

oh crap ya. i was thinkin of MZX
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

Emmzee's list is stupid.......(ok, so I didn't really look at it :P ), but look at this one too: http://www.gamehippo.com/gamedev/tools.shtml

Game Hippo forever!

It tells you some that are just point-and-click or semi-easy instructions (like ZZT or MZX) and some that you need to know some code for (BASIC, C++, etc.). Some of 'em are shareware, some of 'em are freeware, and a smidget are $$$ only. I would personally suggest Game Maker if you don't know any coding and want something free.

Also, what kind of game are you wanting to make? If you want to make text adventures, I'd reccomend ADRIFT. If you're looking for a scrolling game, either Game Maker or The Scrolling Game Development Kit. Fighting - M.U.G.E.N. If you want to make a 3D Shooter, get 3D Game Studio (beware, it costs $$$).

I'd also reccomend that you post this question at gamehippo.com, as they have a larger audiences, are all about getting things for free (legally), and about 1/2 of the community are game developers.

Oh yeah, and I'm a reviewer there now :D
steel_dragoon2000

mzx

Post by steel_dragoon2000 »

hey, you would be surprsed! Go to www.digitalmzx.net and get mzx. It's not DEAD YET!!! They have updated it, and released s_mzx mode which allows you to have more than 2 colors per text block. What am I saying though. I'm sure you all know this. Check it out.
nastypoisonspikes
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by nastypoisonspikes »

It's not often that a guest posted something helpful.

On an unrelated note- I watched "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" last night! Hooray!