SB 16 PCI...can't configure the base I/O.

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
Goonch

SB 16 PCI...can't configure the base I/O.

Post by Goonch »

Hi...this is my first post to these forums, which are great by the way. This is an awesome site.

I haven't touched a DOS game in over 10 years;however, I still saved part of my collection. Now my 8 year old son wants to see what "Dad's games" looked like...pre-Gamecube era.

I'm putting together a new retro machine. It's a pure DOS 6.2 rig...no Windows at all. However, I am having problems installing the soundcard. It's a SB 16 PCI card. The install program just won't let me set my base I/O address, which is 220H by default.

What am I doing wrong? There is nothing else on the mb besides a cheap video card.

HELP !
Frenkel
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Frenkel »

What's wrong with a base I/O address of 220H?
Groeten van Frenkel
Visit us at the Official S&F Prod. Homepage
Goonch

Post by Goonch »

Frenkel wrote:What's wrong with a base I/O address of 220H?
Good question, I have no idea. The install program won't let me set it to that. I don't know why! Is there something that has to be changed in the BIOS?
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Doesn't manual/readme say anything?
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

I don't think you do anything wrong, it is that not all older MOBO's works well with SB PCI cards on plain dos, If you have ISA slots try to get an ISA SB 16 , you will not have any problems with such one.
Goonch

Post by Goonch »

dosraider wrote:I don't think you do anything wrong, it is that not all older MOBO's works well with SB PCI cards on plain dos, If you have ISA slots try to get an ISA SB 16 , you will not have any problems with such one.
That is a good suggestion!

It is an old mb and it does have three ISA slots. I will pick up an old ISA sound card and try it out.

Thanks!
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

What games are you planning to install onto this machine?
Goonch

Post by Goonch »

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:What games are you planning to install onto this machine?
I have a whole bunch. Some are:

- Alone in the Dark
- Sim City 2000
- Tie Fighter
- Ultima VII
- X-com Terror from the Deep
- Blake Stone
- Doom
- Doom 2
- Syndicate

+ many more
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

Ah yes, Doom. Such a classic.

Killer idea:
Install WinME which comes with DOS 8.0, the last of it's kind. Then remove WinME (such a terrible OS.) and poof, you have pure DOS. Might not work, but give it a try.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

GameMaster.EXE wrote:Ah yes, Doom. Such a classic.

Killer idea:
Install WinME which comes with DOS 8.0, the last of it's kind. Then remove WinME (such a terrible OS.) and poof, you have pure DOS. Might not work, but give it a try.
Please stop talking if you don't know what you're talking about.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

You have a problem with me? Come and get a beating of a lifetime :karate:
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

GameMaster.EXE wrote:You have a problem with me? Come and get a beating of a lifetime :karate:
Nope, no problem with you. Just with the nonsense you sometimes spew. :D
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

dr_st wrote:
GameMaster.EXE wrote:You have a problem with me? Come and get a beating of a lifetime :karate:
Nope, no problem with you. Just with the nonsense you sometimes spew. :D
What you call "nonsense" I call "idea", and what I call "idea" may be flawed, but you don't have to rub it in my face. Be nicer next time and point out what's wrong.

Back to topic, please.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

I will be nicer when you throw around your ideas more carefully. If you don't really know how things work, you shouldn't suggest what's to be done with them. It triggers mean responses from jerks like me.

Anyhow, there is no such thing as "DOS 8.0". It's an unofficial name to the core system files that Windows ME runs on, just like Windows 98 runs on "DOS 7.10". The difference is that in WinME Microsoft has intentially crippled DOS access - basically you have no pure DOS mode. There is a way to bring it back through an unofficial third party patch, I remember reading about it many years ago. But it's simpler and better to go with Win95/98/SE to begin with.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

dr_st wrote:I will be nicer when you throw around your ideas more carefully. If you don't really know how things work, you shouldn't suggest what's to be done with them. It triggers mean responses from jerks like me.

Anyhow, there is no such thing as "DOS 8.0". It's an unofficial name to the core system files that Windows ME runs on, just like Windows 98 runs on "DOS 7.10". The difference is that in WinME Microsoft has intentially crippled DOS access - basically you have no pure DOS mode. There is a way to bring it back through an unofficial third party patch, I remember reading about it many years ago. But it's simpler and better to go with Win95/98/SE to begin with.
Jeez, you could have just said that earlier.

And I wasn't suggesting anything, it was just an idea......