DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Programming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Game Creation
Dark Lord
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:22 pm     Post subject: Programming Reply with quote

I'm really just getting into the computer programming stuff and I was wondering what language I should use. I've heard that C and C++ isn't too hard. What do you think?
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:27 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends.

C is probably a good start, with mind to moving towards c++ later (c++ is good, but can be really annoying in it's syntax: C is more logical IMO).

Note that to do many things in C / C++ (graphics, music, networking), you'll need to rely on third party programs such as allegro.

If you want to start with an easier language than C, which includes easy to use VGA graphics / PC beeper sounds, try Qbasic (note that it is impractical for modern games, or even old games, but it is a good start).
Dark Lord
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:04 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:40 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently aquired a full boxed copy of Microsoft Professional Basic 7.1 (expanded quickbasic 4.5?). I havn't tried using it yet, but how well would this work for doing graphical apps/games?
Sorcerdon
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:55 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

java is way better and easier to learn.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:38 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the hell programs JAVA for DOS?
Game master pro

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:27 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

MEGAZEUX OF COURSE (sorry caps) but if you don't like MZX, *faint* try Blitz Basic, it's kinda a mix between basic and C, and user-friendlyness www.blitzbasic.com
ZeHa

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:50 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Or try www.purebasic.com - we used it for www.gloomy-nights.de and I think it is a very good language. Also it's not very expensive and you'll get all future updates for free!
Fenrir

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:58 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Blitz Basic isnt for DOS. Besides, they would be better off getting the Blitz3D compiler. Ive been playing around with it for a while now, but it just isnt as fun as other languages.

Learn Pascal Happy Go get yourself the Turbo Pascal 5.5 compiler for free.
dosguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:45 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

personally its c++ for me.. Java is great for object orientated GUIS and applets, and its slightly easier but c++ has better results and hey, when you move on from dos games- you can do incredible 3d stuff in it
John The Ax

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:20 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I abhor Java, but I think that's because the book I had sucked... I can't stand its constant use of commands like getString - why the HELL is there a capital in there? There's no point to it, and just makes it stupidly annoying to type and debug.
dosguy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:27 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha you get used to the odd capitalisation- eg actionPerformed.. WHY OH WHY when everyother ActionListener thing has two capitals. Java is strange like that Happy
Elign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:56 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Unknown_K wrote:
Who the hell programs JAVA for DOS?

If Sun ever feels like making a Virtual Machine for DOS (not sure if one already exists), then that will make DOS that much more useful, considering the massive number of apps already for JAVA.
SnesNeverDies

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:33 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Dosser wrote:

If you want to start with an easier language than C, which includes easy to use VGA graphics / PC beeper sounds...

Is there a website or somewhere that I could go to learn more about these graphics functions for C?
Nathan1993

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:07 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I only registered so I can bring you this news:

FreeBASIC. I don't wanna sound like an advertiser, but this thing is amazing. It is any microsoft variant of BASIC, only it is 32 bit and makes windows, plus has support for direct x, allegro, and ect. Many people are in on this, but it needs more publicity. It really is revolutionary... its awsome. I reccomend going to www.freebasic.net and www.petesqbsite.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Game Creation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games