VHS VERSUS DVD

A forum for discussing television, movies, pop culture, celebrities, rock bands, and anything else along those lines.

VHS, DVD or other?

VHS
No votes
DVD
100%
Other (e.g. laserdisc)
No votes
Don't care\don't use many videos.
No votes

Total votes: 11

GameGirl100

VHS VERSUS DVD

Post by GameGirl100 »

Trying to see if any VHS users are still out. I don't like em, but I was wondering. :laugh:
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

It's just not handy anymore. Especially since there exists such a thing as Dvd-rw.
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

Same here, I'm attempting to get DVD copies of all the VHS tapes I currently own, however, that is a few hundred and that will take some time and money to accomplish :laugh:

What's really sad here is that I still have a few BETA tapes lying around too :shifty:
Suck it down!
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

I'm a gigantic movie buff (my DVD collection) and I can say that DVDs are the best format currently avalable to the public. It has the best video quality and never wears out, it holds so much that almost every movie released on DVD has special features, which I love. For the most part, they're cheaper than any other format was. They're also usually anamorphic widescreen, which is the only way widescreen movies should be presented as to preserve the original aspect ratio, rather than destroying the cinematographer's (and director's) intentions.

There's no reson to continue to use VHS except for a few movies that aren't on DVD yet and cheaply recording things from TV.
GameGirl100

Post by GameGirl100 »

OT: Does anybody what to do if a DVD gets scratched?
Commander Keen Rules
I wish the day had 30 hours so I could play more games.
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

If the scratch isn't too deep you can use a resurfacing (ie Disc Doctor) kit to fix it.
julie124
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by julie124 »

I like dvds myself, I collect them and would never considering buying another vhs unless it was a movie that i really really wanted that i couldnt find on dvd
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

There are alot of movies out on VHS that will never see DVD because they are just not that popular. The same thing happened in music when records got replaced by tapes and then cd's. There will always be something that never makes the jump.

I voted for DVD because the stuff I like is in widescreen and DTS audio (action/horror films) that benefit greatly from the format. Of course you need a nice tv and stereo to enjoy the DVD.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

I wanna know why the classic Mel Brooks movie "Men in Tights" isn't on DVD! That ticks me off. :suspicious: (Well, it IS, but not Region1, which means I'd have to buy it off eBay or whatever.)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

I wanna know why the Leslie Nielsen movie "Dracula - Dead and loving it" isn't on DVD! That ticks me off. (Well, it IS, but not Region(Europe), which means I'd have to buy it off eBay or whatever.)
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

I thought I saw the 'Mel Brooks boxed set' or something on sale once. I thought it had Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs, and Men in Tights in it, but maybe I was wrong.

As for the issue, my vote is the burnt-at-home DivX CD :D

DVDs have thier advantages, but remember that for now, tapes are the only practical way to record from the TV. DVD-RW are too expensive and much less reliable at the moment. I have no doubt that in a couple of years this will change (blank DVDs seem to be getting cheaper by the month), but for now at least tapes are needed.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Emmzee: You could always record it onto DVD and make it look real :)

DVD here.. Xbox games dont come on VHS
julie124
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by julie124 »

dvd all the way, it looks better and you dont have to wait for the vcr to rewind omg i can keep going with the plus sides todvds
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

I like DVD mainly because they are easy to keep (occupies less space) about the same size as a VCD but with better quality pictures. In addition, movies with extras come on DVDs. DVDs also have the convenience of scene selection. However, laser disc still has better clarify resolution. Only it's too bulky to keep.

Did you know that a good television makes a whole lot of difference. It makes the picture quality of a VCD and DVD is not too great a difference. Seriously speaking, after my dad change the TV, I realised that the quality of VCD was not as bad as I thought.

Still have VCR & video tapes of some shows that I taped years ago. It might be a good idea to convert them. :rolleyes:

Now with a DVD-recorder, one can save cost on buying video tapes as TV shows can be recorder on the harddisk.
julie124
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

VHS VERSUS DVD

Post by julie124 »

I totally agree with you
WishboneDawn
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by WishboneDawn »

DVD - More like opening a book then watching a movie. We love the extra stuff in our house. BUT our VCR gets a huge workout because we're always picking up kids tapes at yard sales and stuff. Most of the kids' movies are on VHS.
julie124
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by julie124 »

yea you can get vhs kids movies dirt cheap anywhere, like usually their like $2.99 its crazy
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

But why would anybody still want to buy VHS? It has become inconvienent.
</TD><TD width="50%">
julie124
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by julie124 »

yea but if its cheaper for people who got kids, their prolly going to buy a vhs, cause alot of people still got vcr's
cyb3r.god3
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by cyb3r.god3 »

dvd and vhs....
hard to choose, i mean vhs can record over and over again and is harder to scrath
but dvd has extra features on it and can have movies up to about 10 hours but vhs only 5

dvd is better though because if you download movies you can put them on dvds from your comp
i still buy vhs for taping and stuff cos i cant be bother buying dvd recorder or dvd-rw
One time I had a Jack and coke and it had a lime in it, And I saw that the lime was floating. That's good news man. Next time I'm on a boat and it capsizes, I'll reach for a lime... I'll be water skiing without a life preserver and people'll say 'What the hell?' and I'll pull out a lime...and a lemon too. I'm saved by the buoyancy of citrus.