DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting a DOS HD in a WIN XP computer

RonSijm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:45 am     Post subject: Putting a DOS HD in a WIN XP computer Reply with quote

Hi,

Like i sayed in another topic, i was cleaning my basement, and i found my old computer back. its a ///Laser 286/X2

Now, there are 80 old dos games on its HD, and i wanned to copy em to my own computer ( a Windows XP/SP1 2.8 GHZ computer)

Is it possible to take the HD out the old computer, and put in in the WIN XP one? else i have to copy like 150 MB on a 1.44 MB floppy Sad that will take forever
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:59 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see no reason it wouldn't work. My hardware knowledge is minimal, but I don't think there's been any massive leaps in Hard Drives.

I can't see how it would cause any damage (as long as you know what you're doing), so try it anyway Shit-Eating Grin
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:37 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put it in, but when I did that with some old harddrive it forced me to format it, or else I couldn't use it... Now I've formatted it but decided wouldn't use it anyways... and I've lost a lot of useless data... argh...
dr_st
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:09 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to do that without any problems. As long as you've got a spare IDE slot.
RonSijm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:31 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamer_V wrote:
You can put it in, but when I did that with some old harddrive it forced me to format it, or else I couldn't use it... Now I've formatted it but decided wouldn't use it anyways... and I've lost a lot of useless data... argh...

hhmm.. yea, i dont want to format it.. i want to copy the stuff from it to my own computer...

and,
Quote:
and I've lost a lot of useless data... argh...

if its useless anyway, why do u care about it than Tbbbbbth!
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:36 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Write up settings in 286' BIOS and after installing into XP machine set it as primary slave with same settings in it's BIOS.

Better idea: Don't even think about it. Play by 286. It's a LOT better. Trust me.

Last edited by 486 player on Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:48 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the data was really useless, so useless I needed it to fill up the useful parts of my life. Some files shouldn't have been deleted. I'm afraid I might have deleted my perfect QfG4 character, with all stats some! Now that's horror!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games