Old soundcard for retro box

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

dr_st wrote:Nobody was backseat moderating anything. Dosraider just seemed a bit pissed at the way Kreats made his response seem too arrogant. I may have not seen his original post, so maybe it did look something like that. I didn't pick up any negative vibes, even though Kreats "last word" thingy was obviously aimed at me.
Saying he wasn't allowed to revive the topic, and saying that he shouldnt have is backseat moderating.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Kazer0 wrote:Saying he wasn't allowed to revive the topic, and saying that he shouldnt have is backseat moderating.
OK, maybe. I find it difficult to follow who said what with all the times the posts have been edited, so let's just drop it.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

dr_st wrote:I know for a fact that CTCM doesn't eat a bit of conventional memory when EMS is enabled, read, when EMM386 is on. I don't know if it eats it when EMM386 is disabled (and you'd have no upper memory and no EMS too).
OK, I did another test with disabled EMM386 (i.e. no HMA and no EMS). CTCM still doesn't eat a single bit of conventional memory. Now, that's on SB16. Maybe for AWE cards it does eat some memory (after all the cards may have some advanced features which require something to be loaded).
kreats

Post by kreats »

Himem is a bit different from EMS, it allows you to load stuff into previously unusable areas under 1MB. It also was a bit of a hack.

Well, you could be right RE:CTCM it was some time ago I tried this and maybe I didn't exhaust all options. I'm happy with my setup atm though and see no advantage in changing it.

I've never tried the Ensoniq Soundscape though - wonder what games this sounded best with?