Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe

A forum for discussing television, movies, pop culture, celebrities, rock bands, and anything else along those lines.
Moo
Gaming God
Gaming God

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe

Post by Moo »

Has anyone here seen the movie yet? I have and it was alright even though they added a lot of stuff and cut most of the funny parts from the book. It was a pretty good adaptaion, and the extra was needed, I guess, to make the movie an acceptable length.

Btw, has anyone read any of the books? I'm currently on Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Last edited by Moo on Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

It was pretty much what I expected and it's not the Universe, it's only the Galaxy as the universe was much too large to cover in an infinite amount of books :laugh:

Yes I've read the entire series and I'm reading them again for the dozen or so times since the first. Got the a very nice hard bound version this time so I don't strain my eyes too much ;)
Suck it down!
Cakephatt
Expert
Expert

Post by Cakephatt »

Who is the series by? I have heard some good things about it but I am kind of skeptical.... it might turn out to be another Harry Potter Disaster aOUENG
YOU ARE ALL MY SLAVES! NOW DO AS I SAY AND DRINK THE KOOL - AID
IANAL
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
I-ANAL is a Usenet and chat abbreviation (acronym) for "I am not a lawyer." A similar abbreviation, TINLA, stands for "This is not legal advice."
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

So you've never read anything by Douglas Adams then ?!?
Suck it down!
Cakephatt
Expert
Expert

Post by Cakephatt »

No, I didn't even know he existed. Doesn't he make that beer?
Last edited by Cakephatt on Sun May 08, 2005 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU ARE ALL MY SLAVES! NOW DO AS I SAY AND DRINK THE KOOL - AID
IANAL
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
I-ANAL is a Usenet and chat abbreviation (acronym) for "I am not a lawyer." A similar abbreviation, TINLA, stands for "This is not legal advice."
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Poor you cakephat.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe=dosraider :)
( the book,don't know about the movie)
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

Douglas Adams also did some other projects, one was an Endangered Animals Species reference CD from the DOS/Win16 days. I can't seem to find that package anywhere, it was a very nice reference/documentary type project.

Another one was a game called Starship Titanic, which really seemed to be located in the Hitch-Hikers universe. It's about an ill-fated luxury space liner named the Titanic of all things :laugh:

Douglas Adams did some of the voicing as did John Cleese and Terry Jones of Monty Python fame :D

You can possibly find it still around too and there is a book that accompinied the game, both the written and the audio tape version too.
Suck it down!
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

I've read the entire series, as well as the Dirk Gently books and The Salmon of Doubt.

The movie isn't based on the book. It's a whole new version of the story which was created for the radio show, then got turned into a book, video game, comic, TV mini-series, and now a movie. It's not as good as the books/radio show but it's much better than the BBC series and I liked it. My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough and should have had more guide entries.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I was a bit dissapointed, but it was still very good. I didn't really like Trillian's acting, and it could've done without the corny naration. On the upside, it had some pretty memoriable moments, and a brillient opening song. It'll probably never become famous, though, as most of the humor is too... off-beat for pop culture to appreciate.

Oh, and the Vogans totally kicked ass! Even though they had a much larger role in the movie than the book, they did it well. "They can't read, they can't write, they can't think. They just run things" -classic line :laugh:
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

I liked it. A classic? Not by any means? It was, however, a pleasing adaptation of a series that really doesn't work in a visual format, wich was impressive. Most of the humor in the books and radio plays were through descriptions and guide entries. The movies had that obstacle to overcome, and they did it quite well, I thought. The yarn doll scene was amazing.
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
JBPACKER4
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by JBPACKER4 »

i still dislike the title of this topic... galaxy not universe

John the Ax: Yeah, I hate it, too. Fix'd.
julie124
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by julie124 »

I read the books, love them and then watched the movie. I like the movie, but th other people that i went to the movies with didnt like it because they didnt know what was going on. I knew ofcourse what was going on because i read the book. I would watch the movie again, but i prolly wouldnt buy it :thumbsup: