DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound Blaster Live! Drivers

Kazer0
Mercenary Dishwasher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:40 pm     Post subject: Sound Blaster Live! Drivers Reply with quote

I bought a Sount Blaster Live! (CT4830) off ebay, and for some reason, it wont let me install the drivers (off their website) because WDM drivers aren't installed. I havent the slighest idea what the hell that means, so any help?
sdold

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:14 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

This utility allows Windows 98SE users to change thier driver installation between VXD and WDM driver sets. By default, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 is installed with WDM drivers which are optimized for Windows Me, 2000 and XP.

Recommendations
The WDM driver is recommended for Windows 98se users who primarily use their computer for digital music applications such as DVD Audio, MP3/WMA playback or MIDI.

The VXD driver is recommended for Windows 98se users who primarily use their computer to play games.

For additional details regarding VXD and WDM drivers, please read the following:

Benefits of using VXD Drivers in Windows® 98SE
1. Increased stability and performance with DirectSound and EAX enhanced technology applications (like games) in Windows 98SE.
2. Ability to play multiple MIDI devices simultaneously, a feature not available with the WDM architecture in this operating system.
3. Earlier versions of Windows Media Player (mplayer.exe) can playback Multi-channel files (more than 2-channel stereo). These same versions of Mplayer.exe only support 2-channel stereo output when using WDM format drivers.

Benefits of using WDM Drivers in Windows® 98SE
1. Support for Microsoft’s Digital Rights Management, a feature not available with the VXD architecture.
2. Kernel Streaming supported in Cakewalk SONAR, a feature not available with the VXD architecture.
3. DVD Audio (DVD-A) playback supported with Creative Media Source DVD-Audio Player, a feature not available with the VXD architecture. This installation CD may not have been released with this feature support included. However, this will be resolved in a subsequent release of the Audigy 2 drivers, which will soon be made available at http://www.soundblaster.com.
4. Support multi-channel WAVE playback through DirectSound when using later versions of Windows Media Player (mplayer2.exe).
5. Support for Direct Music.

Situations which may require a work-around when using VXD Drivers in Windows® 98SE
1. Some software DVD players may not decode Dolby Digital (AC-3) signals properly when using VXD drivers. If you experience this with your software DVD player, we recommend that you enable S/PDIF Output in your software DVD player’s Audio Properties and allow your Sound Blaster Audigy 2 to decode the AC-3 output.
2. Some games (like Final Fantasy VII) may use the DirectMusic interface which is not supported in the VXD architecture. As an alternative, you can select another music synth, like Synth A or B provided with Sound Blaster products.

These are the notes I get when I run a SB audigy 2 program which change .Vxd drivers to .Wdm and vice versa.
Kazer0
Mercenary Dishwasher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:04 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Windows 2000 Wink Thanks anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:01 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.... Search for CT4830 drivers on the net. It is OEM card.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games