PC DOS 6.3 install trouble

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
Mike2

PC DOS 6.3 install trouble

Post by Mike2 »

I have trouble install PC DOS 6.3 on my older computer. Before I do anything else,

Here are my specs...
Pentium 200MHZ processor
SoundBlaster 16 ISA (non plug and play) Model: CT2290
130,548 KB RAM
Windows 2000 Professional

The error message I get when I install PC DOS 6.3:

"PC DOS 6.3 files cannot be installed on your harddisk because all the primary partition table entries on your disk are already in use. Press enter to correct this problem."

Is there anything I can do about this?
Technical problems can be a real pain in the neck... Especially if there are problems with DOS games...
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

If your disk is formatted to NTFS, you cant install any kind of DOS.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Exept by reformattin'. Make an empty partition, couble o' 100's o' megas, format (command on DOS disk) and install DOS into it.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Amro
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Amro »

Press enter to correct this problem
What happened after you pressed enter?
Mike2

Post by Mike2 »

After I press enter, the setup exited, and did nothing else.
Technical problems can be a real pain in the neck... Especially if there are problems with DOS games...

Post by Guest »

The maximum is 4 primary partitions or 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition.

How many partitions are on your hard drive?

Are you using Windows 2000 Dynamic Disks?
Mike2

Post by Mike2 »

ALRIGHT!!!!! I finnaly installed got PC DOS 6.3 on my computer, but how do I dual boot with

PC DOS 6.3 and Windows 2000?

I'm asking, because the setup did what I knew it whould do which is erase Windows 2000, but that is okay, because I have the installation disk for Win2k.
I have a question. I do I use my ATAPI CD-ROM drive in DOS?
Mike2

Post by Mike2 »

Sadly, I found out that DOOM is not compatible with PC DOS 6.3 :Angry: :Angry: :Angry: :Angry: :Angry: :Angry: :Angry: :Angry: . So I'm planning to insall MS-DOS 6.0, but on disk 2, there is WATCOM files instead of the MS-DOS files on Disk 2.

Is there anyway to download MS-DOS 6.0 disk 2 files? I'm not missing disk 2, it is just that somebody replaced the files on disk 2, otherwise, I have all the other disks to install MS-DOS 6.0.
Is this legal?
Mike2

Post by Mike2 »

NEVER MIND! :) I finnaly got DOOM to work on my PC!!!!

But, I'm planning to install Windows 2000 on my PC. How do I install Windows 2000 without erasing PC DOS 6.3?
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Why not save your self a few hours and use Dosbox the x86 emulator?
Mike2

Post by Mike2 »

DOSBOX is TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Slow for games like that. Besides, the DOS game runs alot better on my older computer, all I want is Windows 2000 installed on my older computer, or a data transfer program that requires 25 pin parell cable and it is for DOS.
Is there a data transfer program like that? If not, how do I install Windows 2000?

PS: I do not want to talk about ANY DOS emulators out there.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

you can speed up the processes from the default dosbox ones
if you see the dosbox.conf file you will find that it is set to 500 cpu cycles per second.

it should be set to 10000 for Doom etc..
Mike2

Post by Mike2 »

The only way to get DOOM to run at a smooth speed on the computer, I need a Pentium 900000000000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!!
No matter what the CPU cycles, or frameskip is, the game will be slower than a average snail. I just want to know how to install Windows 2000 without problems, OR if there is a data transfer program for DOS.

PS:I DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT DOS EMULATORS.
Mike2

Post by Mike2 »

Never mind, I got PC DOS and Windows 2000 installed sucessfully without any trouble, and it took only one hour to install Win 2000, not a few hours.
Anyway, I can dual boot now! :D :D :D :D