Should an "emulators" category be added to dosgame

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.

Should an "emulators" category be added to dosgames.com?

Yes!
53%
No!
32%
"Emulator"? WTF is that??
5%
ONLY IF U HAV 31337 ROMZ!!!!!!1
11%

Total votes: 19

Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:He got you there wardrich :P
That doesn't mean it's legal. It just means you won't get caught.
ajh60

Post by ajh60 »

i voted yes caus why buy a game boy for 100$ when you can get "boycott" for 100% free :laugh:
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

ajh60 wrote:i voted yes caus why buy a game boy for 100$ when you can get "boycott" for 100% free :laugh:
The game boy is portable, some games are better played on a handheld with a much smaller screen or on a TV to hide the lower resolution or just for portability
nastypoisonspikes
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by nastypoisonspikes »

I like emulators, and although by adding a emulator section would increase traffic, we would probably get swept by waves of "does ne1 hav rom x plz send it 2 me [email protected]" posts. I guess I'm undecieded.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Re: !!

Post by wardrich »

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:Sure darren !!!!

I could suggest a few!

Meka.
nesticle
no$GMB
No$GMB is pretty cool, too bad it's shareware. Meka is my fave emu of all times... Nesticle is Great for NES too!

I have more to add to that list...

Odyemu - Magnavox Odyssey Emu (talk about oldskool)
ZSNES - SNES Emu
HUGO - PC Engine (Turbo Grafix 16)
FXer - NEC's PC-FX emu
Satourne - Sega Saturn (not sure if Meka covers that one or not)
Icarus - DC Emu
Visual Boy Advance - GBA/GBC/GB emu

be sure to visit HERE for Emu's (and GREAT background history) on almost every console! That's where I used to get mine from, but I've never actually gone all thru the site.

-Richard-
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Unknown_K wrote:
ajh60 wrote:i voted yes caus why buy a game boy for 100$ when you can get "boycott" for 100% free :laugh:
The game boy is portable, some games are better played on a handheld with a much smaller screen or on a TV to hide the lower resolution or just for portability
which is EXACTLY why I bought a Flash Cartridge for my GBA :laugh: baby works like a charm :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

-Richard-
nastypoisonspikes
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

What are Flash Cartridges?
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

Basicly, install a game to a GBA cartridge, and you can uninstal it and install a new one whenever you like. The cartridge works in GBA's, so you can get any game you want for free.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

exactly... my 128mb will hold about 3-4 GBA games at a time, and you can also save your game in it too. It's godly

-Richard-
nastypoisonspikes
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

ahahaha cool. This stuff never seems to proliferate into Australia.
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Huh, barely legal merchandise not making it to a country founded by England's criminals? How odd.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

nastypoisonspikes wrote:ahahaha cool. This stuff never seems to proliferate into Australia.
Neither has bagged milk apparently :laugh:

btw: I have the F2A cart (Produced in Japan AFAIK).

-Richard-
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

wardrich wrote:
Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:emulators = legal
roms= legal for 24 hours or less but most users ignore that ;)
I sound like a broken record...

ROMs are ILLEGAL. The 24h or less 'rule' is BS. It's a myth, one so popular MANY believe it. Unless the law has changed in the last year or so, ROMs are still a grey area, and in all technicallity, they too are abandonware, and, therefore, should reside under the abandonware laws.

The only LEGAL ROMs are the one's that people made in their own time. Not 'ripped' copies of existing games.

-Richard-
Yep I agree that the 24 hours rule was made up. Some argue that downloading ROMs are legal if you own the original cartridge because you can make a backup of your own game and those people happen not to have a machine for making backups. Then technically some argue that it is still illegal because the serial number of the game is different. It's a grey area.

However there are legal ROMs like wardrich had mentioned.

Whether this site has emulators or not makes not difference to me as I have a favourite site that has emulators and all legal ROMs no commercial ROMs and it has been around for a few years. However, a few months back I went there the site was still the same but it had a forum which had some illegal links for PC games :rolleyes:

If you want to have emulators then you can also have those public domain demos (freewares, demos & competition ROMs-ROMs people wrote themselves) too. Some can be quite nice but I know most people are more interesting in commercial ROMs (that involves the legal issue).

There are cons involved in having this:
-request for illegal ROMs (as mentioned by some)
-regular update on emulators about the latest version
If one is prepared to put in more work to make sure illegal ROM links are not posted (the same way one does as for PC games) and also prepared to provide updated information on emulators, then it should be okay. Otherwise, one may like to think twice.
loozerman16

Post by loozerman16 »

I wish they had Arcade emulators so i can play my favorite arcade game "Alien VS Preator".
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

There ARE arcade emulators... www.emulator-zone.com (Note: No roms are found on that website)
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

MAME probably being the best of them all...