Last DOS gaming year

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Interon

Last DOS gaming year

Post by Interon »

null
Last edited by Interon on Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

1996 was the last real year for DOS games. It had Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and some things I'm probably forgetting.
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by x86_Game-Junkie »

who knows and who cares...but all versions of Windows are shell of DOS, that includes Win2000 and WinXP, you can just change the BIOS settings to say run from CD-ROM to install Windows or you can just get a Windows 95/98 Start Up Disk and install it manually, but most people do the prior one...Windows NT4, 2000 and Windows XP formats the computer to an NTFS DOS, which means it still has a DOS running behind it. Cause if it wasn't based on DOS you wouldn't be able to ping other computers on a network to check network connections, and other computers online to see if your Modem is configured properly. Linux Machines, I mean like a 486 Linux Debian Machines are little different they use a more advanced and a more complex version of DOS, which you need to download tools such as "GDISK" which is very similar to "FDISK" except it has Linux Partitions on it.

Most games you buy today, can be run in DOS as well as Windows, as they are not just for the Windows XP Users, as not everyone has Windows XP and/or afford Windows XP...so it depends how much mem, megahertz and ram and HDD space you have!!
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

DOS here refers mostely to MS-DOS. If you are refering to MS-DOS, then everything you just said is wrong. Windows 2000 and abovedo not use MS-DOS what so ever.

However, if you mean just DOS, then you are correct. Why? because DOS means Disk Operating System. Windows IS DOS.
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Last I heard Windows was an Operating System not a Disk Operating System, DOS refers to Floppies and CD-ROMs, and as you know Kaz you really don't need a disk of any sort to run Windows, you don't even need a disk to install Windows...Windows CD-ROM have files for installation, but you can copy the CD to a local drive and install it...but I would recommend if you are going to install Windows from a local drive I would suggest creating a partition of 700 - 800MB.

MS-DOS was last found on Windows 98 SE. Which was Late 1998, early 1999.
Last edited by x86_Game-Junkie on Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interon

Post by Interon »

null
Last edited by Interon on Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

x86_Game-Junkie wrote:Last I heard Windows was an Operating System not a Disk Operating System, DOS refers to Floppies and CD-ROMs, and as you know Kaz you really don't need a disk of any sort to run Windows, you don't even need a disk to install Windows...Windows CD-ROM have files for installation, but you can copy the CD to a local drive and install it...but I would recommend if you are going to install Windows from a local drive I would suggest creating a partition of 700 - 800MB.

MS-DOS was last found on Windows 98 SE. Which was Late 1998, early 1999.
Since when is a Hard Drive not a Hard Disk?
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

When other letters than C were available. (MS-DOS 3?)
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

When people say DOS they mean the DOS core, that is the set of operating system functions that are available for programmers, the way DOS handles memory, drivers, etc. In this sense, WinNT/2K/XP are not DOS. They provide a partial emulation of DOS (compatibility mode and the likes of it) and they have a command prompt, actually with more functions and commands that DOS had, but they are not DOS in its pure form. That is why many DOS games cannot run well or at all under these operating systems.

The last Microsoft OS to officially be based on DOS was, like Game-Junkie mentioned, Windows 98 SE. However, Windows Millennium (ME) was also based on the DOS core, it's just that Microsoft were stupid enough to artificially disable it (can be reenabled with an unofficial patch). As a result - WinME is the crappiest Windows ever - all the problems of DOS with none of the benefits.
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

WinME is very crappy, even more than Win98...
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

i think that Win98 is thhhe best OS ever

*BLAM - s Win2k,XP* :karate:
Kazer0 wrote:WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

I agree with Ro@m Windows 98 was the best OS, Windows brought out...
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

In that case I don't think you ever used WinXP. In Win98 I get those blue screens all the time, when I had WinXP on my computer, I never had them. Plus WinXP has a lot of nice extra options :)
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Whether WinXP's extra options are nice or annoying is a matter of opinion, but its stability is unquestionable. Unless you're into DOS gaming, 2K/XP blow 98/98SE away totally. But people on this site obviously ARE into DOS gaming, so I can understand the somewhat negative attitude towards the NT-kernel OSes.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I agree, NT is excellent, especially for work related purposes (such as MS powerpoint) but really aren't that great as gaming machines.
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Joris, I have used Windows XP Home/Professional before on numerous occasions...but, I prefer Windows 98 and Windows 2000 over Windows XP for the sheer fact that Windows XP is too darn user friendly!!
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

I had all of the OS's from Windows 2000 up until I ran out of Hard Drive space and replaced them all with games instead... Windows 2000 is way better than 98. I have NEVER had it crash, and have NEVER seen the blue screen.
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

I haven't had or seen many crashes on Windows 98 and/or Windows 2000, and if I do have crashes they are normally software related.
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

I agree with Ro@m Windows 98 was the best OS
:D hehehe i still got it installed! :D
In Win98 I get those blue screens all the time
:huh: i don't get them(maybe because i reinstall the OS every 3-4 months?)
Kazer0 wrote:WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

I still have a computer which is Windows 98 and runs perfectly, actually thats the computer I do my web designs on!!