Need help configuring an ISA AWE64 soundcard in DOS.

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
Maelstrom

Need help configuring an ISA AWE64 soundcard in DOS.

Post by Maelstrom »

Its been a very long time since ive had to play around with the autoexec.bat and config.sys files, the last time i did it was when i had a P120, i had a DOS shortcut that i set up to sort out all the soundcard, mouse and cdrom drivers.

Anyway, im running Windows 98 on Celeron 300, and im trying to make a DOS shortcut that will allow me to play a few old DOS games. Ive managed to get the CD-ROM and mouse drivers working without any problem at all, however the AWE64 has caused me a lot of problems.

Ive set up Autoexec.bat and config.sys according to FAQ's ive found on the internet (and of course refering to my own hardware).

When i run the shortcut, it restarts the pc and loads dos, it displays all the driver info, but the soundblaster fails to initialize.

When i run the creative Diagnose.exe file in windows it detects everything without any problems, in dos however it wont even let me configure a base address.

Ive tried loads of different settings but nothing works, ive also moved the cards around in hope that that might help, but no luck.

Right here is the PCI/ISA setup just in case its any use....

ISA1. Empty
ISA2. the AWE64
ISA3/PCI1 (Shared slot). Network Card
PCI2. Apocalyopse 3DX Power VR Card
PCI3. Orchid Richeous 3DFX Voodoo1
AGP. Matrox G100 AGP card

(As you can probably guess this is a rig i set up just to play old games!)

The Autoexec.bat and Config.sys settings...

Config.sys

DOS=HIGH,UMB
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys
DEVICEHIGH=C:\sonycd\Atapi_cd.sys /D:MSCD0001
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SB16\DRV\Ctsb16.sys

Autoexex.bat

SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET GRIP=C:\GRAVIS\PCGPPro
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\GRAVIS\PCGPPRO
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 E620
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
c:\msmouse\mouse
LH C:\sonycd\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD0001
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P
C:\SB16\AWEUTIL /S

If anyone can help i'd really appritiate it, im completely stuck with this one.

Thanks
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Managed to get it working!

Disabling the serial and paralell portrs on the motherboard freed up a few irq's, so i switched a few over and thing work great!