Best DOS/Windows 3.1 Programming language

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Best DOS/Windows 3.1 Programming language

Post by Unknown_K »

Whats the best programming language for DOS and Windows 3.1?

Also what company makes the best version of that language?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

for text I use C++, but for everything elce I use flash (not for dos).
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

Basic, C/C++, Pascal, Perl(?), DOS *.BATs...
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

I was looking more for specific brands and versions

As in (just an example) Borland c++ version X.xx is the best c platform for windows 3.1 coding etc.
Interon

Post by Interon »

Microsoft Basic (QuickBasic, GW-BASIC, etc.). Basic was Microsoft's first big product before DOS, Windows, Office, etc. so I reckon that MS is the best maker of Basic interpreters.
codingmonk

Post by codingmonk »

Well for as long as I have programming, and all the lang's that I have learned, I would suggest MS Visual C++, but then again, if you don't have any cash to spend on a high level complier, I would suggest using a free complier, such as Borland C++. In my opinion when it comes to game programming, I would say keep your self near and constantly around C/C++.
Strange, how even a broken clock can tell the correct time at least two times a day...

Post by Guest »

C++ of course.

And there is no "version" of C++, there is one official version (ANSI C++), you're talking about compilers. gcc is the best compiler.
barok

Post by barok »

no way. qbasic all the way. check out www.vplanet.cjb.net if your skeptical as to what it can do.
Qbasic can do much more than you think!
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by x86_Game-Junkie »

I would have to say BASIC, as it is quite simple to learn...
But I started off writing batch files, using a text editor...dead easy to do!!
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Didn't microsoft have a professional BASIC package?

Quickbasic 4.5 was pretty good too
barok@school

Post by barok@school »

there is no "best" programming language. unless you state what your going to use it for. basic is awesome for quick and easy programs, c++ and others for more power.
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

That is so true Barok...

Programmers usually stick to what they know, ie they choose a language and stay with that language. What I mean is a web scriptor isn't going to learn C++, as C++ isn't a web based language as it is usually for hundreds of small applications to make one large program. However a web scriptor may dabble with Java, as Java can make web based Applications called Applets. Plus with programming it's not one person who codes, it is hundreds of coders, normally based in Asia who are working as a part of a team as if it was one person it would never get finished as coding takes time and resources. However webpages are created by 1 - 3 parties and are people who have experience in Graphic Design, Web Scripting Languages and FTP/Web Hosting.
Interon

Post by Interon »

Yeah, I learned BASIC when I was about 7 years old (various versions), and that's what I've been programming ever since.

Man it's so hard to make a serious game with BASIC though (with good graphics and sophisticated gameplay). Nonetheless I think BASIC is cool.

I'm not quite an expert but I know the basics (no pun intended) plus a small amount more. I made 4 games, each game took about 3 days to make (except Diamond Grabber 2, which was a quick mod of Diamond Grabber, only took about a half hour).

ASIA!? I hope we don't have programming sweatshops with people making pennies a day!
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

lol...yep!! :D
barok

Post by barok »

lol... the hardest things about making a game in basic (fully graphical) is the

1. speed restrictions
2. memory restrictions

but use a lib and your laughing at number one. use xms/ems and your laughing at number two.
Qbasic can do much more than you think!
Interon

Post by Interon »

Would that be QBasic alone or QBasic with piles of 3rd-party tools and kludges?
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

it's normally just qBASIC alone, but if you want to make the game into an executable then you pile on the 3rd party crap!!
none

Post by none »

Ooh! A seriously old thread... *bump*

For compiled programs (which is the topic), plain old C. This is probably the fastest readable language, and definately more efficient than the relatively new C++.

For low level critical tasks (i.e. boot systems), Assembly language. This is seriously hardcore low-level stuff and theoretically fastest but it's not at all forgiving and even an expert would be hard pressed to write Assembly code that can outperform C or C++ equivalent.

For interpreted programs, Basic/Basica/Gw-Basic/whatever. Basic was the big thing back in DOS years, and every platform (MS-DOS, Commodore, Acorn, etc.) used similar syntax so it was very familiar to all types of users.

QuickBasic appeared later and was very popular on PC systems. Afaik, it shipped with all incarnations of Windows and I know for sure it was still included with WinME .. not sure about WinXP.
Enigma..

Basic was the coolest when I was young

Post by Enigma.. »

I started programming since I was 10.
Using nothing but GWBASIC I tried my best to make some great games. (I should say we because I was always with a friend)
Here's a link to my site with some screen shots. If you want the source of any of them, please sent me an email and I'll send it back to you. ([email protected])
http://freekbos.nl/Computers.htm
This was the last game I made in GWBASIC. A civilisation kinda game. Never finished it but you can build buildings, but after a few turns you always turn out broke.

greets from Holland
barok_unlogged

Post by barok_unlogged »

x86_Game-Junkie wrote:it's normally just qBASIC alone, but if you want to make the game into an executable then you pile on the 3rd party crap!!
:blah: look it up next time. If you want to compile you will need quickbasic. Quick basic includes a compiler (BC.EXE (Basic Compiler)) which will make the .obj files and then the linker (LINK.EXE) creates EXE's out of the .obj's. Microsoft gives you everything you need to compile... All you need to do is have the nerve to download the illegal Quickbasic (not that anyone will care) To compile you do NOT need third party stuff.

Enigma: HOLY CR... COW!!!!!! Is that truly isometric? Think we can have a download of your stuff? If that is isometric, then the qb community could really appreciate that source code! You also got me curious. Let's see some of your games.