PCI Video Cards

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
pedersencato

PCI Video Cards

Post by pedersencato »

I'm geting a hand-me-down computer since we built him a new one, and the video card in it is 8 mb. I was looking to boost this up to 128mb (we put a 128mb Albatron Geforce FX5200 AGP-style in his new one). I was wondering if someone has any suggestions for one in paticular. Video out would be nice.
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

My advice is to get AGP, and not PCI. AGP is twice as fast starting, and grows. (EX: 2x 4x 8x)

But if you MUST have a PCI card, get dual moniter, TV-Out/S-Video, AGP 8x, Cooling Fan.
pedersencato

Post by pedersencato »

I can't get an agp, the MB dosn't support that. (which is now bringing me to realize that maybe 128 is too fast for that computer :cry: )
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Tell me your system specs please, then I can tell you how to soup it up.
pedersencato

Post by pedersencato »

pentium-s 200mhz
80 some-odd mb of ram
8mb videocard
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

A p200, perfect machine for dos games. I recommend a PCI Riva 128 4mb video card (STB Velocity 128 is an example), or a TSENG et6000 (STB Lightspeed 128 is an example) based one if you cant find the first one. A 3dfx voodoo 2000 is also nice, but a P200 will only play the VERY earliest 3d games.
pedersencato

Post by pedersencato »

all those there are 4 mb cards which is a downgrade from what I have
I'm looking for a 16 or 32 mb card (preferably with tv-out)
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

pedersencato wrote:all those there are 4 mb cards which is a downgrade from what I have
I'm looking for a 16 or 32 mb card (preferably with tv-out)
Nvidia makes 128mb PCI cards even today, but on a p200 its just a waste of money (will probably have driver problems with such an old machine and OS) and wont help you with dos games either. Video ram over 4mb mostly went for 32bit 1280x1024 or better graphics and storage for 3d textures. IF your not planning on doing anything 3D stick with what you have. IF you are planning on doing some recent 3d games or apps your computer is hoplessly obsolete.
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

You will get NO more performance from a better video card. The ram and proc will bottleneck it, and you'll get the exact same performance. And if you want TV out, you would have to buy a TV out card.
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

why not hercules?
Kazer0 wrote:WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?
Interon

Post by Interon »

Hercules is so old, many DOS games refuse to run on it, so Hercules is a very lousy video card, even for DOS games.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

JMS wrote:Hercules is so old, many DOS games refuse to run on it, so Hercules is a very lousy video card, even for DOS games.
Maybe he meant a newer card by hercules (they were known for great video cards a little while ago), and not the old monochrome hercules cards on the first IBM pc's