Technician unemployment

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
Interon

Technician unemployment

Post by Interon »

Will computers be so excellent that tech support and network admins will be unemployed? Will better hardware and better Windows make going to college for a computer technician a waste of time and money?

Maybe. The computer repair industry may slowly dry up if hardware and software keep improving. What do you guys think?
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Re: Technician unemployment

Post by Unknown_K »

JMS wrote:Will computers be so excellent that tech support and network admins will be unemployed? Will better hardware and better Windows make going to college for a computer technician a waste of time and money?

Maybe. The computer repair industry may slowly dry up if hardware and software keep improving. What do you guys think?
What computer repair industry are you talking about? Everything is geared to buying new equipment and anything not working 100% is just thrown out and replaced, the stuff is too cheap to repair.

There will always be good paying jobs for the few cutting edge IT installations, but for the most part the small LAN admins are going to be minimum wage jobs. Tech support is a low paying job already.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Windows can control its self but what about UNIX?

The CORE of all OS'es

Maybe except windows
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

I'm what you might call a "Catfish PC Tech" now. The stuff being tossed out is my free/cheap resource for low end sales to the net, auction, friends of little means, etc.

Them with bucks buy fresh and those without scavage. All the same since the first trade between the First profession and the Second profession. :D
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.
Interon

Post by Interon »

Johpower, do you have a regular paying job at computers?
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

I actually wrote an essay about this...

http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic ... html#26740

-Richard-
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

JMS wrote:Johpower, do you have a regular paying job at computers?
Used to... thanks to super cheap new pricing, PC's have become a sideline. Today disability (not PC-related) allows me to eat. But it's not my first choice. :(

About Wardrich' essay: not bad, so far as it goes. Interesting how the job thing changes. The past 150 years' industrial boom generally helped the world employment situation. It also changed the way we lived. People today could survive in the world of 1924 but would have serious trouble in the world of 1874. Save TV, computers and microwaves, everything we consider important was in use or being developed.

Drop that in to the next edition, Wardrich.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

the next edition of what?
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

wardrich wrote:I actually wrote an essay about this...
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0-Richard-