Csharks is publishing "L I N D A"

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.

Is Linda a classic like Dave, Keen or Mario?

No, It isn't worth a judgement;p
56%
Itz oKKK;
22%
Itz a playable one:)
No votes
Itz a kool game!!!
11%
Its gr8!! But can't be compared to Dave, Keen or Mario
No votes
Itz amazing!! Beyond my words and is comparable
11%
Yes, It is a classic like them
No votes

Total votes: 9

Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

That is a horrible game. And something tells me I have to kill my Windows Server 2003 for the regestry keys the uninstall didn't remove.
Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

wardrich wrote:I'd definatly rank it as a BETA test right now.
I'd say rather an ALPHA version!

And what did you say about the registry key, Kazer0?
"Long before there was ultra-super-duper-128-bit-polygon-video-capture, hardware hype, wEiRd TyPe, pointless game ratings, E3, SCREAMING GUYS in ads, Virtual Reality, cliches like "in your face" and "it's the ultimate", 360 degree roto-scope-rhetoric from self righteous reviewers, CD-this, 3-D that, multi-million-dollar TV commercials tainted with TOILET humor...

...there was fun."

The OPCFG - dedicated to the preservation of classic forms of gaming since 1998!
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

I bet teh uninstall didn't take them out. It didn't even remove the desktop shortcut. I bet they are sitting in my registry, waiting to b0rk my system.
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

Graphics - 1/10
98% stolen from other games. Too big and confusing. Things are way too dark as well, it looks like something from 1989.
FYI - it's very illegal to take things from other sources and call it your own, especially if you're charging money for it.

Sound - 1/10
Very annoying PC speaker effects. Using PC speaker in this age is unacceptable even for DOS games. Even for PC speaker effects it's more annoying than games like Commander Keen 1-3. The loading screen (it shouldn't take that much time to load!) is especially annoying.

Story - 5/10
At least there was enough effort to make this storyline one of average (boring) quality.

Gameplay - 1/10
I don't know what the hell is going on. I'm picking things up things and figured out I have a gun and jetpack but I'm honostly confused.

Bottom line: This game was made by a small group of pretentious 9 year olds. They probably think they're gods gift to the DOS community when, in reality, they're more like Satan taking a giant shit that's engulfing the universe. This game sucks in every possible way, I would be ashamed just to have the shareware on my computer, let alone PAY for that crap. I can't think of any way to make it worse.

If it was to be remade, it should be done from scratch with colorful VGA graphics, soundblaster sounds/music, and new gameplay that's not slow and confusing.

That game pissed me the hell off and you would have to pay me to play through it all the way.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Getting paid to play it? That's like getting paid to have your skin peeled off with a razor followed by a bath in clorine and a towelling off with lead wool. Still, it might be useful to add to dosgames.com if we were to create a category called "games which never should have existed and make baby Jesus cry."
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

That's like getting paid to have your skin peeled off with a razor followed by a bath in clorine and a towelling off with lead wool.
I had a dream about that once.... it was still less painful than looking at that game.
Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

Dogbreath wrote:it might be useful to add to dosgames.com if we were to create a category called "games which never should have existed and make baby Jesus cry."
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Long before there was ultra-super-duper-128-bit-polygon-video-capture, hardware hype, wEiRd TyPe, pointless game ratings, E3, SCREAMING GUYS in ads, Virtual Reality, cliches like "in your face" and "it's the ultimate", 360 degree roto-scope-rhetoric from self righteous reviewers, CD-this, 3-D that, multi-million-dollar TV commercials tainted with TOILET humor...

...there was fun."

The OPCFG - dedicated to the preservation of classic forms of gaming since 1998!
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

I don't like this game very much. The sound is really worse man...
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

Spam is not nice c'man. Saying I got your same post in an email 5 days ago.

I agree with everyone one here. Oh, don't get me wrong. It's a good start for making dosgames. You just need to work on it a bit harder + grammer. :cuccoan:
Webmaster- <a href="http://www.dosgames.com/~bobo">Bobo's DOSGames</a>
^ Biggest Dos 3D Shooters site in the World! :)
Total Games = <b>201</b>
Over <b>100900</b> Downloads since 2004
csharks

Post by csharks »

Hi all,

Sorry for being too late!
And a big Sorry for writing mails to ur personal mail Id's.

We r beginners and just wished to see our game reviewed by dos fanatics. Thanks for the guns and roses
and we learned a lot frm u veterans and we will improve a lot frm this!!!

Some clarifications frm our part
=====================
Anyone can turn off the sound and any animations by editing config.txt
( Goto Linda's folder. Default folder is ProgramFiles\Linda in the drive containing Windows )

Any animations can be bypassed by pressing any key

Also regarding the graphics, much of them r taken frm free Icon Libraries
and some were published open by other gamemakers. (We hav given credits to them in Thanks.txt.)

Although the uninstallation removes all other files the Desktop shortcut remains:(
Linda was a project that spanned 8 months of our lifetime and we just wished to see your reviews and thanx once again for that. :)

Sincerely
Maddies
www.csharks.com
We will fight till the last drop of Blood in our body is split out!!!

visit the madDies at www.csharks.com
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

*Nods* well, firstly, make your own graphics. Pre-made ones are acceptible for freeware "quickies" but are unacceptible for any sort of commercial gaming.

Secondly, what programming language are you using? I've seen better games written in Vbasic is 24 HOURS, let alone months. (Then again, to your credit yours is longer than most)

Thirdly, follow the advice already given here. Tighten up the movement algorithim, shrink the main character size, make your own graphics/ray tracing, be original, etc. You might also want to make a level editor if you don't have one already-it could help.
csharks

Post by csharks »

Thanx,V will work it out in our next update.("LINDA" was coded in C using Turbo C compiler.)

wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

wtf... I noticed the WINNER.EXE file by mistake... kinda funny.
csharks

Post by csharks »

:) Thanx

wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

but since it says Windows ME, the end should now say "You can now mash your head into the keyboard and try to difuse the anger caused by Windows ME. Thanks, Bill Gates"

hahaha
-Richard-

(btw: Winner.exe is found in linda\winner\winner.exe
csharks

Post by csharks »

V fear Bill :devil: Gates :cry:

Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

Why would you want to make DOS games anyway? Why not just visit http://gamemaker.nl ? See what you can do with it: http://www.clearhost.org/innercoreproductions

...there was fun."

csharks

Post by csharks »

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote: Plus when you use the jetpack it looks like she has fire coming out of *bum*
:) :) :)

wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

I wanted to get into the GameMaker stuff, but I found it too complicated to teach myself.
csharks

Post by csharks »

Dogbreath wrote:Well, for a small company game it's not *that* bad... the movement is choppy, the music annoying, and the graphics are awful. I haven't played enough of it to comment on level design. As a freeware game it'd pass as average but since you're *selling* this I would highly recommend you completely redo the graphics (what program are you using to make them? I'd highly recommend <html><a href=http://www.povray.org/>Pov-Ray</a></html>, it's freeware and has been used to make some wonderful looking games such as Astrofire (found on dosgames.com) and Terrafire. Go to http://www.ortsoftware.com/ to get them) and rework whatever movement algorithm you're using.
We hav downloaded Pov-Ray itz simply gr8!! and we plan to remake Linda in Windows using DX9.When we will complete that stuff we wish to OpenSource our "Dos" girl so that it will help buddieS.
The problem of choppy movement was becoz of the siZe mismatch btwn Linda(64X32) and World Tiles(16X16 => 32X32) ;p
We wished to see Linda with a bit quality in 320X200 and hence we had to compromise on the smoothness:( and the music as u may hav known by this time can be switched off by editing "Config.txt"