AMD Opteron/64FX and Intel Itanium

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.

AMD Opteron/64FX and Intel Itanium

Post by Guest »

Hmmm... 64-bit CPUs are on the horizon for normal computing. I've read stuff about them and this is what I observe.

Intel Itanium has a brand-new instruction set.
AMD 64-bit uses the 386 instruction set from 1985.

Errrrr.... A 386 on steroids (AMD) or the NEXT GENERATION (Intel)!!!

(Of course, aside from stuff like math chips, MMX, SSE, SSE2, etc. a Pentium 4 is just a super duper 386. It seems to me that AMD only intends to carry on a 19-year old tradition while Intel is doing stuff from scratch.)

Is the AMD 64-bit (Opteron, 64FX, or whatever ya call it) merely a 'Pentium 5'? Or can it go head-to-head against Itanium?

If Intel makes a Baby Itanium for desktop PCs, would it leave AMD behind in the dust?
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

Nope. Your wrong. AMD knows exactly what to do. If this is true, AMD is about to smoke Intel. Intels 64bit processor is going to take years to finish. And with a 32bit 3.4-3.6ghz limit, AMD's ghetto 64bit chip will be the fastest avalible for years, with the p4 limited at 3.4ghz the only option for intel. While making huge profits off the 64bit processor, they can develop a new form of processor and release that.

All in the marketing my friend.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, I suppose 32-bit has a few years of popularity remaining (since Windows Longhorn, 32-bit, is coming out in a year or so). I guess AMD made a wise choice in sticking with 1985 technology since it seems to have a bit more time to live.

And for Intel to make Itaniums for the average middle-class family, they've got a BIG JOB ahead of them. Inventing something is one thing. Making it cheap enough for the general public is another.

Even if Intel released the cheap Baby Itanium tomorrow, the software needs a lot of time to catch up with the IA-64 instruction set. And 32-bit emulation is slower than a Pentium 4! There's already Windows XP 64-bit edition for Itanium, now we need some 64-bit software to go with it...
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Yeah, I saw the Windows 64-bit edition. I suppose its so the existing AMD 64bits can run windows. But at $1000 a piece for a 2.2ghz 64bit AMD, its not really needed.

Post by Guest »

I thought Windows 64-bit was for the Itanium!
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

I'm sure it will take the AMD version as well. Why release the windows 64-bit right now if the Intel 64bit isn't out yet?

Post by Guest »

There is a Windows 64-bit for Itanium servers. Itanium already exists for expensive servers (Itanium 2 has even been released, claiming to be twice as fast as the first Itanium!). It's just a matter of making them cheap enough for middle class families.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Do you know microsoft is GIVING away windows 64 bit for a trial of 1 year!

you can get it on Cd OR download directly
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

I have a feeling the AMD chip is subtly aimed at the open-source Linux-Unix desktop crowd. They are looking at the non-MS market and figuring their chip will be directly compatable, while the Intel may not (or Intel will require a different/difficult compilation). Very smart move if their guess of a 10% Linux share of the home OS market by 2006-7 comes true. I certainly hope their stock does well. :)
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:Do you know microsoft is GIVING away windows 64 bit for a trial of 1 year!

you can get it on Cd OR download directly
If thats true, give me the download link.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Conditions apply though: pOstage and handling but yeah

should be the right link
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/w ... trial.html

Have fun!
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Good stuff wally.
Wally