Why I Use Old English

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Why I Use Old English

Post by 486 player »

'cause Dog deleted my last answer, I'm forced to rewrite it.

Nowday's word 'you' has 3 meanings: for 1 person, many persons and for 1 person, but meanin' for many. It's hard to believe in modern English. In German that 3rd is 'Sie'. With 'thou' I mean that single and 'you' many. Instead o' 'Sie' I would use Ye, whis was before Shakespeare (He used you.) for many and "Sie" and an article (the). 'Thee' means 'you' 'thy' 'your', and 'thou'rt' 'thou art' ('you are'). It's alt my choice to use 'em.

What becomes to signature, Aye! DOS is best in computers and Windowses from 95 to newest are pure s**t.

Don't delete that t'is time. That explains a lot.
Last edited by 486 player on Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I deleted nothing, but I'll try to make sure that any other mod doesn't. (Who did?) And hey, both of you should try to use PMs for matters like these...
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

I posted so everyone would know.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

So it's an announcement then? Moved to appropriate forum. ;)
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

OK.... Whatever
"You believe me," I said gratefully.
"Of course I do," and he held out his hand. "I believe everything out of the common. The only thing to distrust is the normal."

The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan,
Chapter III
Do you like medieval fighting games or RPG's?
Click aici.
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

Isn't it Olde English?
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

In Pittsburgh, we use "yins".
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

You know of course, 486, that everyone understands each other clearly even if the same words <i>do</i> mean different things. You only make yourself seem more geeky and/or nerdy by doing this. Or, perhaps you do it as something unique that people will remember you by. Maybe you are an adult, and are a college Professor.

And though it is technically Olde English, Old English is also acceptable. (Good spotting of the irrelevant. As the Borg would say, "Old English is irrelevant... etc.)
"Of course I do," and he held out his hand. "I believe everything out of the common. The only thing to distrust is the normal."

Chapter III
Click aici.
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

Why don't we all just take care of what we ourselves say? - That job's too big for us to try to correct or counsel others.
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

You are wise O great Da_Goat!

Chapter III
Click aici.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

I've seen that some o' you has misused conjugations o' word 'thou'.
followin' examples shows right ones: (Because 'you' has only 3, I used 'I' instead.)

New:

1. I'm next.
2. Where is my food?
3. Don't kill me!
4. Hey! It's mine!

Olde:

1. Thou shalt be next!
2. Is it thy food?
3. I shalt kill thee!
4. Shalt ye decision be thine.

I hope you got it now.

Note to mods:

T'is post wasn't worth o' new topic. Don't make many Olde tong posts. Ok?
Thunderdog
<b>Token Black Guy</b>
<b>Token Black Guy</b>

Post by Thunderdog »

I just cant stand reading your posts, because it takes twice as long, for I have to Translate whatever you're trying to say. And, what's with your 386 Player account? Have you Sunken down even deeper?
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

TD, 386 is Jay being a Jackass.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Thunderdog get a new avatar, seeing a small box with a red X in it (file not found?) gets old fast.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

While it is true in that some languages* benefit from using exact pronouns to shorten phrases, English conjugation is very limited and when properly used *always* includes the pronoun in question. Therefore using Olde English for meticulousness only makes your posts harder to read.

[1] An example of where it is frequently used to make words flow better would be Spanish. For example:

The present tense of the verb "tener" can be spelled "tengo", "tiene", "tienes", "tenemos", "tenais", and "tienen" indicating a pronoun whereas the equivalent in English would be tengo-"I have", tiene-"thou hast, sir" (formal), tienes-"thou hast" (informal-improper unless speaking to a close friend or one younger than you, offensive otherwise), nosotros-"we have, sir" (formal), vosotros-"we have", tienen-"they have." Clearly, if you insist of having exact pronouns, you'll need exact conjugation to go with them. In Spanish you can say "tengo una bebida" and it's very clear that you're saying "I have a drink" whereas if you were to say "have a drink" in English it could mean A. I have a drink B. you have a drink C. "I am giving you a drink" D. "we have a drink" E. they have a drink. For simplicity, I won't include the extra options for formal and familiar address.

Of course:

1. Spanish is very simple conjugation-wise for a romance language and, like English, doesn't change verb form pertaining to sex. French has over twice as many possible conjugations as Spanish does.

2. Everything mentioned is in present tense... past tense is *far* more complicated.

Therefore, unless you want to invent the 20+ regular conjugations and the *hundreds* of irregular for English, speaking with Olde English is just an impediment.
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

Please note that the previous post by Dogbreath is a replica of a recent Kazero/DB convo. WHOS SMART NOW?
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

Kazer0 wrote:WHOS SMART NOW?
Me.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Not replica, I just borrowed some material, notably about French, and put it to good use. :angel:
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

That looks more like middle English than old English.

Than again I'm no linguist.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

It *is* middle (Elizbethian) English-old English is for the most part incomprehensible-though I know some from my mom studied it in college. Apart from similar grammer bases and ~10% similar words, it's a different language. Most people with a high school education wouldn't be capible of reading it. (FWIW, we probably wouldn't be able to listen to English being spoken more than 500 years ago or read it written more than 900-1,100 years)