Fine then. Half-Life. Again.

Add your own reviews of games here.
Check-Mate
Lover Of The Tiny Guybrush

Fine then. Half-Life. Again.

Post by Check-Mate »

Kazer0 wrote:This review is crummy. Mine gets locked, so does yours.
Well, if it makes you happy....I'll re-do it. I AM re-doing it because I want other people's opinions on this game.
Well, first of all...

Graphics: Not bad, though since this game is older, it doesn't really work as good on XP. Interestingly enough...I didn't notice till my brother pointed it out. Over all, though, the graphics are up to date well enough so that it's not all pixel-ated and evil.

Sound: A little too realistic for my taste. The sounds can creep you out. The aliens are....icky...and sometimes you can't hear the guys talking properly.

Plot: It's...um....interesting. Well, I find it overall entertaining to watch someone else play the game. But the way it's set, it's creepy, imho. But, what it basically is, is that you are Gordan Freeman (duh) and you run around a science....building/place/lab? killing aliens that have escaped, and have turned scientists into zombies and stuff. For those of you that don't mind shooting and killing things.....

Over all: It's a good game, but it scares me. I mean, to play it. I like to watch my brother play it...but now, he wants to multiplay with me...:upset: and I have to get over my fear. So, turn the volume down, and get ready to rumble. :karate:
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

ive finished it on all levels except hard,no ammo i must save it :D
Kazer0 wrote:WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

and it is not gordan,it is Gordon,it is not a lab it is the Black Mesa Research Facility
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

aliens are not escaped(well in some sort of they are)the aliens have came due to the resinance cascade
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

a great game
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

There is an 'edit' button above your own posts, you know.

Also, technically, Research Facilities are labs.

In addition, I haven't played Half-Life, but I have played its Mod, Counterstrike. If CS is good, Half-Life must be better.
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

in some way it is
denrix
<font color=CC00CC><i>*Special*</font>

Post by denrix »

some way? It IS better. CS got too similar to other games, like the Rainbow Six games. Halflife was pure experience, pure ambience, pure feeling. CS got all tactical and brainy. viva half-life!

and, no offense to the reviewer, but that review sucks serious àss. I mean, it gives just your opinions. It doesnt give enough info to the reader to create a personal opinion on the game, even if it is only based on your review. and thats a fatal mistake to make for every reviewer. :no:
sasha: Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go have sex with my boyfriend.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Thou must play game, before thou know how goods it is. And btw, everyone knows Half Life.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Dnirex: Want to review it yourself then? (Seriously, just post it in this thread)

It won't be posted to the site (any review of a game that doesn't exist on Dosgames won't) but it'd be fun to see, at any rate.
denrix

Post by denrix »

doggy: I will. I've got Saturday and Sunday ahead of me, so I might as well do something productive.... ;)
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

well i would like that dosgames forum would have some good reivewers....
b|ackMagic
Banned

Post by b|ackMagic »

Half-Life is IMO, one of the finest games ever made. And yeah, it freaked me out toatally the first few times I tried it. Very realistic stuff there.

^fight the right radicals-b|ackMagic^
There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away
It's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

Half-life rocks! B) It's long, intelligent, pretty fine graphix... I was totally stunned by Xen. It was ausam! It's a shame that there's no Xen in HL2 (well that's what Lombardi said).
Although the multiplayer levels of Half-life are rather small... if we don't count Opposing force capture the flag...
All sequels exept for HL2 aren't even half of what Half-life is.
And you're right, it doesn't work properly in XP.
"Long before there was ultra-super-duper-128-bit-polygon-video-capture, hardware hype, wEiRd TyPe, pointless game ratings, E3, SCREAMING GUYS in ads, Virtual Reality, cliches like "in your face" and "it's the ultimate", 360 degree roto-scope-rhetoric from self righteous reviewers, CD-this, 3-D that, multi-million-dollar TV commercials tainted with TOILET humor...

...there was fun."

The OPCFG - dedicated to the preservation of classic forms of gaming since 1998!
denrix

Post by denrix »

Well, who ever thought the day would come for me to review a masterpiece of human art?
Because that is what Half-Life truly is. Nothing more than an explosion of emotion, detail, and enjoyment. Let me tell you why.

Half-Life, from the beginning, starts in one of the most innovative ways ever. You are 'toured' through the Black Mesa Research Facility. This 'tour' is not a simple intro to the game, it is much more. From that single train ride, the player starts to realize what kind of world he is in. He sees the robot-workers, he sees the guards, and he tries controlling around his character. Nobody tells the player to do this. He instictively feels that he can't just stand there. He (I'm sorry for neglecting the 'She'-s, but it would be too tiring 'He/She'-ing every time) gets accustomed with his new controls. And that is one of the smartest moves that Valve has ever done. This simple 5 minute tour, is more effective than any other tutorial level, be it in Half-Life itself, or in other games. The player learns how to play, and he learns it while having F*U*N, not having to go through a monotonous level of jumping through tubes, and running back and forth in a tutorial room.

But the train ride can't last forever, can it? Gordon Freeman eventually has to get off. And so he does.

Every NPC around Gordon Freeman, during the whole game, has been scripted in order to be as interactive as possible. In fact, Half-Life was the first game to ever do this. And it certainly paid off. You just have to move through the corridors, and you hear scientists and guards talking to you, expressing a somewhat familiarity. And that actually works. The player actually starts feeling some sympathy towards these NPC-s.

And so Gordon Freeman goes on through his quest, faced with some of the most viciously designed monsters and aliens in the history of computer games. No, this is not an exxageration. Let me give you an example. There is a sequence in Half-Life, where your character is running through a hallway (the hallway is extremely long, so the user once again feels instictively the need to run. And that was exactly what the designers wanted). You are all concentrated in running in a as straight line as possible, when Wham! a whole part of the left hallway wall is ripped off, and something that looks like 3 incredibly huge scorpion tails appears. The choreography, the timing, and the horror that this sequence gave to me is something impossible to be forgotten. And the whole game is cramed to the throat with similar experiences.

The Graphics are some of the most beautiful ever seen. True, they may not use the latest techniques of the latest games, but that too is a point in favour of Half-Life. With the limited technology available at the time, they managed to create such a perfect game, that even today, nobody would be able to add anything worthy, high-technology or not.

The Level Design is perfect on its own. The simplest example. When you first enter the Black Mesa, you notice that on a right-hand wall, there are 3 lines with different colors. Inside every line, there is a description of different places where you can go. So, in order, for example, to go to the lab, you can just follow the green line, and you will not get lost! Isn't that a perfect touch? More realistic than any radars or anything else designed in later games.

The Sound. Oh, the sound! Chilling to the bone, or easing as a nursing rhyme. A tornado of brass, or a pillow of cotton. Hats off.

Final rating : 110%
Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

Wow dude :o B) ! You couldn't describe HL any better...
"Long before there was ultra-super-duper-128-bit-polygon-video-capture, hardware hype, wEiRd TyPe, pointless game ratings, E3, SCREAMING GUYS in ads, Virtual Reality, cliches like "in your face" and "it's the ultimate", 360 degree roto-scope-rhetoric from self righteous reviewers, CD-this, 3-D that, multi-million-dollar TV commercials tainted with TOILET humor...

...there was fun."

The OPCFG - dedicated to the preservation of classic forms of gaming since 1998!
denrix

Post by denrix »

come on, people? is the review so bad that only somebody who liked The Core enjoys it?! :( :(
Check-Mate

Post by Check-Mate »

I didn't read it.....but....it's great! :thumbsup:
Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

It's really fantastic... I can't even find the words to describe it's exellence... :)

...there was fun."

denrix

Post by denrix »

*Check-Mate* wrote:I didn't read it.....but....it's great! :thumbsup:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ --------- green with envy!