Oh My God-Classical

A forum for discussing television, movies, pop culture, celebrities, rock bands, and anything else along those lines.
Check-Mate
Lover Of The Tiny Guybrush

Oh My God-Classical

Post by Check-Mate »

Whoa! I just came back from watching the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra..... :o
There was this kid there....he played a concerto....He was 13!!!!!! :shifty: :wow:
It was amazing! He played Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D Major, Op.35
It was spectacular.....He's a genuis...he plays better than my TEACHER! :wow:
And, on top of that, he's pretty darn cute.... :love:
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

It's good that you're diversifying your musical tastes, I've listened to "Classical" or "Long-Hair" music for more then 30 years now. There's lot's of great pieces out there, such as the one you mentioned :D

Since I listen to many types of music, I've grown to love more then one type or genre' over the years. Yes I occosianly listen to some rap as well, however I'm very selective with this genre' ;)

The last Concert I attended was Lyle Lovett here in Portland, it was pretty darn good if I must say so myself.

The last Classical concert I attended was a few years back when I listened to the Oregon Symphony playing. It had lots of variety to the pieces that were being played, also the conductor would periodically tell stories about the pieces that were being played in between sets, quite nice if you're not up on the music :)
Suck it down!
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

No offense, but Bach blows the water out of this Tchaikovsky guy, and his name is easier to pronounce.

I never got the point of classical concerts though, other than the fact that they came first. It just doesn't make sense to me. I listen to classical music to go to sleep or do my homework by, and why would I go to sleep or do homework at a concert?

Slightly off-topic, but has anybody heard the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (or maybe it's Orchestra Symphony - who cares?)'s rendition of Stairway to Heaven by Led Zepplin? It's freakin' awesome.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Classical is like true metal, actually. It's good for the expression of passion, hatered, anger, love, and peace. It's hard to get into, but once you do, you'll love it.
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Oz »

meh. i like listening to Wagner when i play RTS's. that's about it.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

I suppose Ride of the Valkiries is da bomb for you :laugh:
Suck it down!
Check-Mate

Post by Check-Mate »

Da_Goatee wrote:No offense, but Bach blows the water out of this Tchaikovsky guy, and his name is easier to pronounce.
You my friend, don't know what classical music is. Once one plays it for about 8 years, you really learn to appreciate true art. And, Tchaikovsky is one of RUSSIAS greatest composers...and one of the Worlds greatest at that. So now, I must frown upon you for your amateur-ish remarks. :blah: :no:

In any event, has anyone heard of Ladislav Gabrielli? I'm playing a piece by him, and nobody knows anything about him....oh, and...if anyone knows the works of William Zinn, please agree with me by saying that he should be shot and hung....the orchestra piece I have to play by him is absolutly NASTY! It's NASTY, and it's only Second Violin....I cringe to see what first is.....<shudder> anyways....Must go.....
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

As a side note, do you know the band Procol Harum ?!?

The track called Conquistador was done live along with I do believe the Calgary Orchestra. I'll have to research that again to be sure, It's been awhile since I've heard the track.

Also note that many classical orchestra's play as background instruments in many popular titles, one of my favorites is Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues along with the London Symphony Orchestra ;)
Suck it down!
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

Dogbreath wrote:Classical is like true metal, actually. It's good for the expression of passion, hatered, anger, love, and peace. It's hard to get into, but once you do, you'll love it.
That's the point. I don't like listening to metal just for the sake of listening to it either. I listen to metal (or classical) if I'm trying to concentrate on something, or at least want to enjoy something I usually don't enjoy. If I go to a concert, I want there to be some kind of beat so I can head bang, tap my feet, snap, or otherwise dance to the music. I'm not saying anything bad about metal or classical, just that I don't see the point of their concerts. There's something about Dream Theater, though, that makes me feel they work both ways...

I also hate classical if it has any vocals in it Metal is okay, because it usually matches the music, but very frew classical composers compose their music so that their vocals (which are almost always men with low, low voices) match their music. The vocals usually come in during, or immediately after, violins are in the foreground.

Checkmate: You still haven't given me a reason why Bach is worse than Tchaikovsky.
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

My vote for single most enjoyable classical piece is:
Dvorak / Smetana: Symphony No. 7 / Bartered Bride / Moldau, by Bernstein

On this particular album, we find Leonard Bernstein giving his interpretations to Dvorak's 7th Symphony (my personal favorite). This performance is fine indeed. The tempos seem to be a hair slower than many versions I have heard but this allows a fresh perspective to the work. It allows the work to develop and blossom better. Bernstein brings out details in the score you haven't heard before. Particularly in the first movement there is a wonderful trill on the french horns that had previously escaped my ear. The final movement cooks. Dvorak had a talent for composing beautiful energetic and great melodies, and the 7th symphony is full of them. Bernstein and the orchestra show us this. Along with this symphony, you get a great performance of the Bartered Bride Overture, the dances which are great fun, and the Moldau.....well I just love this one.

One of the few things anymore that cuts thought the annoyance of dealing with modern traffic. B)
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.
Check-Mate

Post by Check-Mate »

johpower wrote:Moldau, by Bernstein
Hey hey....I've played that in Orchestra...it IS nice, isn't it....
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

SO you DO play... most excellent. :thumbsup:

The Moldau may not be the utter best piece specifically but it has the qualities that really please the ear and let the brain play behind closed lids. (Except on the hyway. :laugh: ) What Classical is when it's just right.

One of the few just plainly great things about being human, madame. B)
Check-Mate

Post by Check-Mate »

Of course.
I didn't say it was the BEST piece....right now, I'm liking
Passacaglia by Handel, arr.William Zinn. We're playing it in Orchestra, and it's really nice. Hard, horribly, evily hard, but, nice.
I have another song...but I can't rememeber the name...oops, pardon me, I meant piece. <Gurgle> I just got back from group and orchestra....we have a concert on the 13 of dec. I think we'll fail miserably. I have another class tomorrow...2 hours, man! :shifty:
hurts the neck. Anywho...must stop babbling and complaining. Ta.
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

You'll do good. Break A Leg!! :)
Check-Mate

Post by Check-Mate »

Literally? I'd rather a finger or arm...naw....I like orchestra.....
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

Ummm, you do recall this classic stage "good luck"? Reverse psych keeps the jinx away. :cuccoan:
Check-Mate

Post by Check-Mate »

I know....I was just kidding....
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

Pardone.... it's difficult to catch inflection sometimes.
Check-Mate

Post by Check-Mate »

*Check-Mate* wrote:Literally? I'd rather a finger or arm...naw....I like orchestra.....
Is it now?