DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DOS Games Shop
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:43 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Jorrit: you may want to closely read whatever legal documentation Silverman wrote to make Ken's Lab freeware... this could be illegal.
Jorrit
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:05 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Exactly. Jorrit: you may want to closely read whatever legal documentation Silverman wrote to make Ken's Lab freeware... this could be illegal.

I just downloaded the full version and found the following in the readme.txt:

Quote:
Ken's Labyrinth shareware was first released to the world on January 1, 1993. In March, 1993, an improved shareware version under the Epic MegaGames label was released.
On November 16, 1999, I, Ken Silverman, with permission from Epic MegaGames, decided to release the full version of Ken's Labyrinth for free. This is due to the fact that Epic MegaGames no longer sells its older titles, which includes Ken's Labyrinth. You may copy this software freely.
All I ask is that you follow these simple guidelines:
1) This software can not be sold for profit ...

You're right that this freeware release of 1999 may not be sold (as stated above). But I think that's meant the following way: if someone downloads the full version of Ken's Labyrinth, burns it on CD and then charges money for it - that would be illegal. I provide an official and original CD release of the game - I think that's a difference. Selling the game on eBay for example would be the same. And as far as I know there's no difference between selling this game for example 5 years ago or on this moment though the game has been released as freeware in the meantime.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will contact Ken Silverman by e-mail to be sure whether it's illegal. If so, I will delete the game from the shop of course.

Quote:
Has anybody bought a copy?

No, nobody has ordered the game yet. I've only one Ken's Labyrinth for sale, by the way.
Jorrit
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:45 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a reply from Ken Silverman:

Quote:
Thanks for asking. I'm certainly not a lawyer, so I'll just tell you what I think is right in this case. Certainly, if you took the full version from my website and sold it, that would be wrong. But you seem like an honest guy (since you wrote me afterall) so I think it is clear that your copy did not originate from my website. Also, there is some value in owning the official hint manual as well as the cover artwork - something that my web site does not provide. I see no problem with what you are doing - as long as you don't start Xeroxing hint manuals / cover art, etc... : )
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:49 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that says it all Jorrit Happy

As for me, I've got a few Hint/Strategy guides that I'd be willing to let go for cheap. Sure they are used but in good condition. I just don't need them anymore but I'm thinking that perhaps one of you collectors would enjoy them Shit-Eating Grin

I can provide a list of what I have if anybody is interested in them.
Jorrit
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:06 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmmijo, please let me know which games are featured in your hint/strategy guides. Thanks in advance.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:36 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorrit wrote:
Jmmijo, please let me know which games are featured in your hint/strategy guides. Thanks in advance.

I have a few specific title guides, for instance:

Heretic
Descent II
Dungeon Master II

Then I have some more general ones that cover many different games and such, these are the ones that I'll have to dig up and get the info from the guide as to what each covers Wink
Homz
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:30 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are Windows games, though...

DB: Neither you or your parents have six dollars? That's pretty sad, no offense.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:02 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

@Homz, not sure what you mean. The ones I listed or the ones that are for sale in the shop?!?

If you mean the ones I listed, I can assure you they are not specifically Windows games Wink
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:12 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Desc' has Windows 95 version too.
Ro@m
Hamachi Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:07 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have duke 3d?if have you some left?
Jorrit
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:26 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I don't have a Duke Nukem 3D available. But I can try to get one - I will let you know by e-mail.
Ro@m
Hamachi Guardian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:45 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

ok,thanx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Free Windows games