Sam N Max no sound :'(

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Smugami

Sam N Max no sound :'(

Post by Smugami »

Hi, I read through the DOS games on XP tut and downloaded that sound thing but when I try and run the game with that it still comes up with something like "sound devices not found" :(
Only way I managed to get the game working was to copy the SAMNMAX folder across and run the samnmax.exe, normally you run sam.exe from the CD and it comes up with sound options but when I try that it just closes after a second, same with setmuse.exe (which I think is the same thing), I tried unchecking those boxes and fiddling with the memory but it still does it... can anyone help me with this?
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Hi

Post by Wally »

I get the sounds and music but no talking with win 98se

I dont know what is the go with it??
tried in dos ?? B)
Smugami

Post by Smugami »

I had the same when using 98 but I'm using XP now (and XP == no DOS) and I don't get anything sound wise... as I said I tried using that VDMSound but it doesn't work.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Hi

Post by Wally »

try setting the sound blaster settings to
sound blaster pro
240h 5 IRQ 7 DMA

It may work it may not

or try dosbox emulator :rolleyes:
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

LOOKING FOR MIDI
Look for your soundcard in System Properties>Hardware>Device Manager. Look for MPU-401 Midi. Then goto Resources tab of it's Properties. Look for I/O Range and IRQ. These are the MIDI Properties, which may be useful for background music.
LOOKING FOR OTHER SOUND
Look in AUTOEXEC.NT (in System32 Folder) For a "SET SOUND A=..." or similar line. Copy this down somewhere. The code is above it, beside all the REM's.
Smugami

Post by Smugami »

But the sound config doesn't work so I can't even do anything with the settings for the game.
That's why I got hold of VDMSound, thought it'd take care of those problems but it doesn't, game still doesn't recognise the sound drivers or the "virtual" sound drivers... VDM doesn't require any setting up, does it? Just install and use I thought...
Crono2985

Post by Crono2985 »

Why don't you people just use ScummVM?

http://scummvm.sourceforge.net/
Smugami

Post by Smugami »

WOOT!!! :D :D :D
Thanks so much for that SCUMMVM it's solved all my problems!!!