DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please, Please Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:17 pm     Post subject: Please, Please Help! Reply with quote

I think this is the right forum for this...
I can't open up DOS, let alone DOS games!
It gives me this error:

"The keyboard driver specified by the KEYBOARD= line in the [386Enh] section in the SYSTEM.INI file is incompatible with the current version of windows.

To correct the problem, run Windows Setup again."

I have been able to use DOS before, so I have no idea what's wrong, please help! Crying
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:57 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Boot disk
2. Deltree windows
3. Reinstall
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:25 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, before you try 486 player's rather ... err extreme "solution" Shocked You may want to look at your SYSTEM.INI file ...

Open the Run box and type "sysedit". An app will open with several system files in windows, click SYSTEM.INI. Look for the "KEYBOARD=" line that is mentioned in the file. You don't mention what OS you are running, but I have WinXP and I don't have any KEYBOARD= line in my SYSTEM.INI. If you wanted to try removing that line (not sure what that line DOES so if you do this, anything that happens is not my fault Violent ) you can put a semicolon ; in front of it to comment it out. Then reboot and see if DOS works ...

Alternatively, you could download DOSBox, a free MS-DOS emulator, from:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

You can use that instead to run DOS programs and it often works better than the default DOS prompt.
procerus
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:47 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

For Windows 95 or 98 or ME try running sysedit (Start, Run, then type in sysedit and hit enter) and changing the line to -

keyboard=*vkd

If it's that already then Sad .

Good luck.
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:50 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

System.INI is invalid. You can't run Windows with an erroneous(is that a word?) SYSTEM.INI. I would recommend a boot disk, then type:
Code:

CD C:\Windows\System\
C:
edit system.ini

and change the keyboard line to:
Code:

keyboard=*vkd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games