Commander Keen Dreams

Add your own reviews of games here.
John The Ax

Commander Keen Dreams

Post by John The Ax »

If you've ever played the first or fourth Commander Keen, then you know what kind of gameplay to expect. Just another sidescrolling shooter with a pogo stick, right? Wrong. CK Dreams is a unique sidescroller that is in a league of its own when it comes the the mainstream Commander Keen. It has good music and graphics, however, so I give it an: 8/10.
Breakdown:

Sound:
Music: Good music, along the same lines as CK4. This is a good thing, you understand. I can't remember any songs from it, like CK4, but I haven't played it as much. 9/10
Sound Effects: Pretty good. Sounds a lot like CK4. They are good, though. 9/10
Graphics: These graphics, once again, are along the same line as CK4. Cartoony, especially these. You're fighting vegetables! The way they modified broccoli and tomatoes is especially hilarious, and Keen looks good, though he's wearing PJ's. 10/10.
Gameplay: No pogostick! That is the only part of the gameplay that stinks about this game. Other than that, it is especially fun. You through "Flower Power" pellets at enemies. Sounds like something from the 60's. This part looses points because there is no Pogo, and that changes the game.
Overall: 8/10. A fun game, but a bit weird. Personally, I found it less enjoyable than CK4, but it's a good diversion from your run-of-the-mill sidescrolling adventure. With good graphics and sound, and a fun way of play, this game is a must-try. Like your mom about your veggies: Try it, you'll like it!

John the Ax
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Sound card musics were remowed 'cause game didn't fit onto 5½ inch disc. Sound effects are all different than in any other Keen. I hate missin' pogo too: some secrets cannot be reached without cheatin'.

DON'T PLAY KEEN 4-6 BEFORE THAT!!!!!!!
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

Why not?
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
Ally
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ally »

Keen Dreams is cool.
I thawt yer inglich wuz vari gud.- Dan (Da_Goat)
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

I had that game. Damn 386 keeps crashin from memory
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

You'll hate it's 'cause lack o' pogo and finger grab.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

No, it works. i just cant use 1/2 of the levels. Its the best one I think.
Check-Mate
Lover Of The Tiny Guybrush
Lover Of The Tiny Guybrush

Good game

Post by Check-Mate »

Oh ya, it's a good sidescrolling game. It's full of suspense and challenge. The endings are a little dissapointing, but the sounds are good, the controls are easy, and the levels are challenging.
I give it a 8/10 too....the graphics could use some work, and the plot too.
eViL bOrIs I

Post by eViL bOrIs I »

I remember Keen Dreams. Yeah, it was a good game, as were [almost] all the C. Keen games.
And my soul from out that shadow shall be lifted, ah!, nevermore.
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

1 wasnt too good.
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

I liked all of them. I liked the simplicity of the first 3, and the ingenuity of the last 4.
Otto

Post by Otto »

i think.. that game sucks ass!
Why do today what you can put off untill tomorrow?
cramhains
Expert
Expert

Post by cramhains »

Episode 1 to 3 of Commander Keen are bad because when you press G-O-D it only allow you go past the ground.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
I see all. Warning, becareful what you do.
IF you are using Firefox, Netscape, or Internet Explorer, I could see you and where you live.
patrick1493100

Post by patrick1493100 »

:bday: Great game, just the sound...

I'm a Fan of all the Commander keen serie!!!

Well that's it
GameGirl100

Post by GameGirl100 »

Kazer0 wrote:1 wasnt too good.
It was okay...not great. I hated the red maze level, though.
Hiver88

Post by Hiver88 »

The Keen games are my favorite series. 4 and 6 are the best in my opinion. I didn't like Keen Dreams as much as the others though. When I have lots of money, I'm going to buy the rights to Commander Keen and give them back to Tom Hall so he can make more Keen games.
SimbatheKing

Post by SimbatheKing »

I found the game to be very average. I was not a great fan of the first three - they were dreadful and I never bothered doing most of the 3rd. However 4-6 were awesome!! Dreams just isn't as good - its missing the pogo, the challenge parts, laser guns, interesting villains, plot, graphics, etc etc.
The King has Returned
LordofGlobox

Re: Commander Keen Dreams

Post by LordofGlobox »

John The Ax wrote:If you've ever played the first or fourth Commander Keen, then you know what kind of gameplay to expect. Just another sidescrolling shooter with a pogo stick, right? Wrong. CK Dreams is a unique sidescroller that is in a league of its own when it comes the the mainstream Commander Keen. It has good music and graphics, however, so I give it an: 8/10.
Breakdown:

Sound:
Music: Good music, along the same lines as CK4. This is a good thing, you understand. I can't remember any songs from it, like CK4, but I haven't played it as much. 9/10
Sound Effects: Pretty good. Sounds a lot like CK4. They are good, though. 9/10
Graphics: These graphics, once again, are along the same line as CK4. Cartoony, especially these. You're fighting vegetables! The way they modified broccoli and tomatoes is especially hilarious, and Keen looks good, though he's wearing PJ's. 10/10.
Gameplay: No pogostick! That is the only part of the gameplay that stinks about this game. Other than that, it is especially fun. You through "Flower Power" pellets at enemies. Sounds like something from the 60's. This part looses points because there is no Pogo, and that changes the game.
Overall: 8/10. A fun game, but a bit weird. Personally, I found it less enjoyable than CK4, but it's a good diversion from your run-of-the-mill sidescrolling adventure. With good graphics and sound, and a fun way of play, this game is a must-try. Like your mom about your veggies: Try it, you'll like it!

John the Ax
Keen Dreams didn't have music, they ran out of room.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Your game is broken... and must you mess with reviews 4 years old????
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
LordofGlobox

Post by LordofGlobox »

Larry Laffer wrote:Your game is broken... and must you mess with reviews 4 years old????
You don't seem to like to specify, so I'll assume that was aimed at me. In which case, you are wrong.
He created a tune called "Eat your Vegetables" - it fit in with the food related theme of Keen Dreams. However, Softdisk didn't want to use it, as it would have made the game not fit on a 360k disk (huge stuff in those days).

http://www.3drealms.com/keenhistory/keenhistory3.html