Stupid Pc Speaker

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Michael

Stupid Pc Speaker

Post by Michael »

Hi everybody!!

What I want to know is how to get rid of that horrid pc speaker in dos games! I don't know if there are any patches for my sound card which is a soundblaster 128 pci. I just want normal sound can anyone help!?

Thanks
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

Theres a topic here to turn it off in Windows. I don't think you can in DOS.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

In pure DOS (ie there is no Windows on the computer, you're using DOS only), the only way to disable the PC speaker that I know of is to open up your case and unplug it. Its not difficult and you're 100% sure you'll never hear it beeping again! :)

For Windows, the above solution also works ;) or you can visit the thread pointed to by frogboy above :)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I once read a method used by this guy at Z2 to convert it from PC speaker to external speakers (the ones you can control volume with)... he actually opened up his case and rewired it so that instead of sending the signal to the bleeper it would send it to his sound card (?). What scares me is it actually worked and he was able to control his PC speaker volume... in any case, it's simple enough just to detach it and leave it be if you don't want to run the risk of seriously screwing up your computer.

(Also, can't you adjust PC speaker volume in BIOS? I distinctly recall doing that at one time or another...)
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

My old olivetti m300 has a pc speaker volume control on the case. I can turn it down from there.
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

I don't know how or why, but my computer automatically sends PC speaker sounds through my regular speakers. It's great. I haven't had to listen to them for ages now.
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

Old Toshiba laptops have their virtues, and the ability to control PC speaker output is one of them.

For a ZZTer, a true blessing!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

MadTom: What's the market value on one of those these days? I may invest in one if only to avoid hearing the Mission Impossible theam being blared out of my PC every time I start up one of half of the zzt games in the archive...
Amro
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Amro »

i remember there being a program that could change all volume settings in DOS... maybe it can disable the PC Speaker

try using the game's setup and set Sound to None.
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

Dogbreath wrote:MadTom: What's the market value on one of those these days? I may invest in one if only to avoid hearing the Mission Impossible theam being blared out of my PC every time I start up one of half of the zzt games in the archive...
I got my one for NZ$300, which is about US$120, I think, or thereabouts, from a computer store that was going out of business. I actually paid a little too much for it. It's my pride and joy, and perfect for insomniac ZZTing/playing other DOS games. Here are its specs:

Pentium I 75MHz processor
40MB RAM
600x480 res (I know, I know)
All the standard ports ... USBs, COMs, etc.
Windows '95. I was advised not to install '98 on it.

However, I think many old laptops route the PC speaker signal to the normal speaker ... my dad's old IBM Thinkpad (c. 1998) does the same thing.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

In that case, I'll have to get one of those someday. I've been looking for a good machine to play old (1990 and before, with some exceptions) DOS games like Star Command or PSI 5 Trading Station.
J-Man

PC Speaker

Post by J-Man »

Some programs can silence the PC speaker (not 100% though). They act as TSR's and they can eliminate MOST of the PC speaker sounds. They are either shareware or freeware and they are available on some download sites.
Interon

Post by Interon »

If you want to turn off the PC speaker permanently, here's what you need to know:

There are two types of PC speakers. One is integrated into the motherboard (called piezo) and the other has a separate speaker. If your computer has the piezo then you're stuck with that annoying beeper. If you have the separate speaker, simply unplug it from the motherboard (You can even leave the speaker inside the chassis in case you ever want to use it again).

The brand-namers (HP, Dell, IBM, Gateway, etc.) tend to use piezo and the custom-built or local shop clones tend to use the separate speaker.

Of course, you could try the silencer programs but they are rarely 100% effective (also, most occupy a small piece of that precious 640 K).
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

The easiest way is to simply unplug it from the Motherboard. Just remeber that when you plug it in again, the label on the plug goes inwards.

-Richard-
Interon

Post by Interon »

For piezo PC speakers, the piezo piece is soldered on to the motherboard so it can't be disconnected without ruining the motherboard.

wardrich: Your solution only works for the separate speaker type, which not all computers use.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

interesting... Sorry about that, I didn't realize that they ever mounted piezo's to motherboards. I have however seen piezo's that can be pinned to the speaker slot on the MoBo.
Interon

Post by Interon »

Yeah, I had an IBM PC 340 once, and I wanted to turn off that speaker. I opened the case, and looked all around for the speaker, but couldn't find one. I was puzzled. "Where would IBM hide that?" I thought to myself. Much later, I browsed the IBM web site, and looked up that PC 340 out of curiosity. On the design specs, I found that integrated piezo speaker. Mystery solved!

The only reason I wanted to turn off the PC speaker was because sometimes I stay up late while my family sleeps (playing DOS games). I kinda like its sounds anyway.

The IBM PC 340 has a Socket 7 Pentium-1 motherboard made around 1996.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Couldnt you just mod the BIOS settings for Pc Speaker. I remember seeing a setting somewhere

Sorry i aint much help.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I already asked that, Wally...
Dogbreath wrote:(Also, can't you adjust PC speaker volume in BIOS? I distinctly recall doing that at one time or another...)
Interon

Post by Interon »

I've seen many BIOSes, and they have NO option concerning the volume of the PC speaker. (I'm a computer technician - A+ certified).

If anyone out there finds a BIOS Setup option for PC Speaker volume, let me know.

Albeit, Windows 2000 and XP allow you to disable the PC Speaker through Device Manager, though.