DOS Games Shop

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Jorrit
Admin
Admin

DOS Games Shop

Post by Jorrit »

Today I've launched an online shop on DOSGamesArchive.com where people can buy full version DOS games on floppy disk or CD-ROM. Many of the games are completely new and still sealed. Most of them include the original box and manual of the game. The URL of the shop is:

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/shop

There are also two books (The Official Hint Manual for Wolfenstein 3D and a book about the history of electronic games) for sale.

Please let me know what you think of it. Are there things I can improve? Such as providing more information about the game, bigger picture of the game box, etc. What do you think of the prices? Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Jorrit on Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Would be nice if the top 100 classic dos games were available, there is mostly old fps games there
Jorrit
Admin
Admin

Post by Jorrit »

Yes, that would be nice (top 100 classic DOS games), but it's quite hard to get unused DOS games in their original box. After all, the games are about 10 years old and most companies that sell software don't have those games for sale anymore. And there's no real DOS games top 100 or something like that, actually.

By the way, there are also a lot of platform games (besides the FPS games): Realms of Chaos (42 in stock), Hocus Pocus (21), Keen 6 (2), Duke Nukem II (2), etc.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Some are quite a bit older then 10 years since its 2003 that would only be 1993 towards the end of the dos game era.

I think I will start looking around for old games people dont want anymore. I stumbled on 60+ games mint in box for my amiga 500 (80's to early 90's) that cost me less then $2 each + bulk shipping. To be honest the games in the 80's on the amiga's are nicer then the same era dos games, PC's didnt catch up untill the 90's. I recommend amiga 500's to people who want to try something retro since they are easy to find on ebay, only cost $30 or so and the whole game library is on adf image files all over the net.

Anyway do you know of any good sites that sell used dos era games cheap?
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Yeah... last time I checked TUOL (I think?) had some sort of a store... but the only link to it was on The Underdogs and it's database is down at the moment.
Jorrit
Admin
Admin

Post by Jorrit »

Unknown_K wrote:Anyway do you know of any good sites that sell used dos era games cheap?
No, I don't know any site that sells used DOS games. I haven't found any good site that still sells new DOS games too. But I would be interested to visit that kind of sites.

By the way, Darren Hewer (webmaster of Dosgames.com) has made a website that lists stores that sell new and used video games: http://www.vgstores.com. Maybe it's a good idea to add a category called "PC"/"DOS"?
Jorrit
Admin
Admin

Post by Jorrit »

Dogbreath wrote:Yeah... last time I checked TUOL (I think?) had some sort of a store... but the only link to it was on The Underdogs and it's database is down at the moment.
As far as I know Home of the Underdogs only sells new Windows games made by small developers.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Possibly. I have never seen the store in person... just heard about it.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

I considered adding PC to vgstores but I didn't have time to do it back then, I planned to add it later. I really need to update that site ... maybe next month ...
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Jorrit
Admin
Admin

Post by Jorrit »

For those who are interested, here's a picture of the games that are for sale:

wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

holy shizz! where'd ya get all of those games? And whats in the plastic wrap on the bottom shelf?
Jorrit
Admin
Admin

Post by Jorrit »

We bought most of the games from a company that sells software. They had a number of DOS games left in their warehouse.

The games in the plastic on the bottom shelf are 'Realms of Chaos' (CD-ROM and floppy disk versions) and a number of official hint manuals for Wolfenstein 3D.
Last edited by Jorrit on Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

As soon as I have some money saved up (I have a job this summer) I'll remember to buy several games from your shop... the value of such rare games in brand new condition at such a low price is too great to pass up.
Jorrit
Admin
Admin

Post by Jorrit »

Dogbreath wrote:As soon as I have some money saved up (I have a job this summer) I'll remember to buy several games from your shop... the value of such rare games in brand new condition at such a low price is too great to pass up.
Great - if you like I can save the games you're interested in for some time. It would be tough if those games are sold out when you return.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Well, I just noticed you actually have a copy of Radix Beyond the Void! That's probably one of my favorite games... I had ordered a copy from Epic Classics but it never arrived. I'll probably order it later today.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Well, as it turns out, my parents are as broke as I am... I'll place an order once the next paycheck comes...
Jorrit
Admin
Admin

Post by Jorrit »

Okay, no problem.
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

I might grab one of those Tyrians....

But, why are you selling Ken's Labyrinth if it's been released as freeware? Has anybody bought a copy?
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

im just wondering, is it legal to sell freeware?
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

YES

Post by Wally »

I think it would be illegal to sell freeware because you can get it for free

Well only if you download it and provide the disk it would be worth somthing