DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

What brand sound card are you guys using for dos games
Goto page Previous  1, 2

What brand sound card do you use for DOS games
Soundblaster or SB Pro 8 Bit
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Gravis Ultrasound Classic, MAX, PnP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ensoniq Soundscape
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
SB ISA Compatibles such as Aztec, Reveal etc
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Newer PCI cards with SB support Aureal, Live etc
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Roland cards
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Soundblaster 16, 32 , AWE etc 16 bit
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 8

johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:21 pm     Post subject: I have Yamaha XG card... Reply with quote

I have a good Yamaha XG series PCI sound card. It was decent with a Windoze sound setup. I'm pretty sure the CD had drivers for DOS. Has anyone used one of these in DOS?
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:08 pm     Post subject: Re: I have Yamaha XG card... Reply with quote

johpower wrote:
I have a good Yamaha XG series PCI sound card. It was decent with a Windoze sound setup. I'm pretty sure the CD had drivers for DOS. Has anyone used one of these in DOS?

I think the daughtercard attached to my sb16 is a XG type of card (only does midi). Sounds real nice

DB50XG or something like that, connects to the waveblaster header.
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:51 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my opinion todays games need a good video card, the old DOS games needed a good sound card.

And getting them to run with everything else while leaving you enough lower mem was sometimes a feat of legerdemain! Celebratory
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:55 am     Post subject: Re: I have Yamaha XG card... Reply with quote

Unknown_K wrote:
johpower wrote:

I think the daughtercard attached to my sb16 is a XG type of card (only does midi). Sounds real nice

DB50XG or something like that, connects to the waveblaster header.

It's a A301-G50 card w/YMF724F-V chip.
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:10 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I use what win ME calls a "legacy Device" i don't know what it means, but it lists all the info i need, like port num, IRQ, DMA, Buffer, etc.

"Legacy device" is windoze speak for non-plug and play. Your PC has probably defaulted to "sound blaster compatable" or something similar.

You might zero in on a better driver by taking a close look at the card. If it doesn't have an obvious info sticker or card ID number, see the chips. Use a magnifying lens if necessary. If there's an FCC# you can go to "fccid.com" (I think) to find out who made it but usually not much else. The FCC# may be obviously similar to the card's real name or part number. All this helps the search.

Write down any of the names, ID's or the chip number(s) and do a Google search to find the vendor, manuals, drivers, updates and other info on the card.

Very few cards of any type that I've had to find drivers for have escaped these methods of discovery.
computer_person

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:52 am     Post subject: Sound card Reply with quote

i have a Soundblaser 16 bit on my sucky computer. See: my computer sucks[/i]
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:08 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sb16 was the last creative product I really liked. I have a couple sb64's here, but those were free and used on non-game machines
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 5:48 am     Post subject: Re: Sound card Reply with quote

computer_person wrote:
i have a Soundblaser 16 bit on my sucky computer. See: my computer sucks

Pardon the late comeback, dude. So what sucks? Maybe we can sort it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2