Finding .img files for MS-Dos games

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Knolof

Finding .img files for MS-Dos games

Post by Knolof »

So I've been goofing around with running MS-Dos 6.22 in Virtual Box and have been having a lot of trouble finding .img game files. Getting games to play in DosBox has been really easy but I want a more authentic experience. I'm currently downloading a large file of DOS games but I'm not sure what format they are going to be in. I've still got 20% left in the download and it's been going for 3 days now, lol. Does anyone know where I can find .img files? I've been looking for days have so far have come up empty. Thanks :)
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

I've played around with FreeDOS in VirtualBox a while ago. The image file is something you need to create yourself, then mount it in VB, because it does not have direct access to the contents of your actual HDD (unlike DOSBox or Wine).

I used a free CD burning utility to create the images, forgot what it's called.
Knolof

Post by Knolof »

Thanks, I'll look into it :D
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I'll also plug floppy image makers, like winimage, for smaller games. ^_^
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

MrFlibble wrote:I used a free CD burning utility to create the images, forgot what it's called.
I remembered that I used DeepBurner but any other tool will do.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Re: Finding .img files for MS-Dos games

Post by dr_st »

Knolof wrote:So I've been goofing around with running MS-Dos 6.22 in Virtual Box and have been having a lot of trouble finding .img game files. Getting games to play in DosBox has been really easy but I want a more authentic experience.
"Authentic" as in "VirtualBox"? No, you don't. Trust me, you don't. You will just end up wasting time, suffering, and getting zero extra benefit/enjoyment over what DOSBox can give you.