DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Shareware Heroes book coming soon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Announcements
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:13 pm     Post subject: Shareware Heroes book coming soon Reply with quote

Hey all, check out this upcoming book by video game journalist Richard Moss, "Shareware Heroes". It chronicles how "How the golden age of shareware subverted, shook up, and reshaped the video game industry, and kept independent game development alive." The unbound page is here where you can preorder / help fund the book:

https://unbound.com/books/shareware-heroes/

I also did a quick blog post about it on DOSGames:

https://dosgames.com/blogpost/coming-soon-shareware-heroes-book-about-shareware-in-the-80s-and-90s/
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:20 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be a good book. Also, the page mentions The Secret History of Mac Gaming by the same author, should be interesting as well.

I remember reading on the subject a while ago, including an extensive interview with Scott Miller, and also some stuff about Jim Knopf, to get the idea of how the shareware scene came about to be.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:19 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I met him at a conference I attended, he did a talk about his Mac gaming book which i had already purchased at the time.

Great book, considering purchasing shareware heroes but not yet!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:53 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're in the industry Wally, didn't know that!

Mac gaming is a pretty interesting topic with some fairly unique titles having emerged in the 90s. I'm not even talking about all the high-res ports of PC stuff.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:17 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah not really in the industry, was a developers conference I had a complementary ticket for through work Happy

There's quite a large number of old quirky Mac games out there which are really unique to the platform, it's quite hilarious to open up a game and go whoa what on earth? Then end up playing it for hours. Suspicious
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:24 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Wally wrote:
There's quite a large number of old quirky Mac games out there which are really unique to the platform, it's quite hilarious to open up a game and go whoa what on earth? Then end up playing it for hours. Suspicious

Shit-Eating Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1